3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow flight/tuning question  (Read 261 times)

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow flight/tuning question
« on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
My arrows fly really well but seem to have a slight counter-clockwise tail whip. It appears to almost be a circle?  Anyone seen this?  Also I am left handed.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow flight/tuning question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Try moving the nock up. Also spin your arrows and see if the points are not misaligned.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
I had that happen when my feathers weren't all the same angle of offset.  Mine would sort of corkscrew.  Good luck
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I guess its possible the angle of offset is messed up? I fletched them myself using a bitz jig. So all the feathers should be set the same. Maybe my jig isn't set up properly??

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
It's also possible it's an optical illusion, having a cock feather different color of the hen feathers has been known to cause this. Try fletching one with all three feathers the same color and see if it still does it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
You can look down the shaft from the point end and see if all the feathers are the same.  If you're using the Bitz, they're probably perfect.  I had a cheesy jig that wasn't consistent.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
I have no clue as to your experience is with shooting traditional so please take this with a grain of salt.  Are you positive you have a good, clean, consistent release?  I hope this has not offended you or wasted your time.  My personal experience with arrow flight has come to the conclusion I have been the biggest contributor to bad arrow flight more than my bow and arrow set up.  After I learned the skill of a good release and form I found arrows I had once written off all the sudden flew buetifully.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brazos:
I have no clue as to your experience is with shooting traditional so please take this with a grain of salt.  Are you positive you have a good, clean, consistent release?  I hope this has not offended you or wasted your time.  My personal experience with arrow flight has come to the conclusion I have been the biggest contributor to bad arrow flight more than my bow and arrow set up.  After I learned the skill of a good release and form I found arrows I had once written off all the sudden flew buetifully.
Been there, done that, myself!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Brazos. Nope offense taken. But, yes lots of shooting experience. Just got back from Rick Welch a couple months ago. Shooting better than ever. During his class I was shooting axis trads. Had them like lazers. But, I decided to play with the new VAPs and been tuning them but have noticed this in the flight. Btw all my feathers are same color. However, it could be true in my haste to see the flight I am more focused on watching that than the actual shooting.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I meant to say NO offense taken

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Sounds like you are on it.  When I started out, and years after, I spent a bunch of money on arrows trying to make my arrows fly right.  End of the day it was mostly me.  When I see posts like this I remember the pains I went thru and speak up on occasion.  I still do a bunch of shooting with a new arrows combo just to make 110% sure it is the arrow and not me.  Nearly every time I determine it is me.  So for all you new guys reading this post please learn from me and save yourself some grief.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©