3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone else suffer from this??  (Read 598 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone else suffer from this??
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
I have a huge problem with shooting infront of other people.  for some reason, I get hung up when people are whatching me shoot.  I usually end up short drawing or snap shooting, pretty similar to target panic.  Put me in a hunting situation, or shooting alone, and I'm just fine...full draw....anchor...hold...release.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a head case like me??
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone else suffer from this??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I hate it too, especially if they are all quiet and expectant - but often when people are talking to me while I do it I'm not really concentrating on the shot and the body takes over again.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Course, everyone does and has to learn that it's a matter of being able to focus the distractions out or learning and conditioning yourself to just enjoy shooting and not caring what others think. Some people's personalities make it easier for them to do that than others but you are far from alone.   :archer2:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I had that problem years back. I was the worse shot in our group and I always put so much pressure on myself, I fell into bad habits. Everyone telling you what to do.

Finally found someone to cure my habits and developed the mentality I don't care how I shoot in front of others and learned how to block out everything around me and just focus on the target.

Like every sport, archery is mental. Bad thoughts mean bad shots, positive thoughts equal good shots. The more you shoot with people, the more comfortable you should become.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Shoot for a beer often enough and you'll learn to block them out.  It's either that or pay all the time.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
It's the same with many, ever talk to a group of friends, no problem right, now step in front of a group at work or business and the pressure rises. It's all about acknowledging it and doing it enough to make it more familiar. It's the need to look good, to impress, that takes away from the focus required. Most pro's acknowledge the crowd is there but they don't focus on them, they keep the focus on the game.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Welcome to my world........You have to block it all out. When alone, talk yourself thru each portion of the shot and make it a habit. When in a group or crowd....do the same thing, it will help a lot! The other thing that helps ....when at a 3-D don't keep score, just mark "K" for a kill shot "W" for wound and a miss is a miss. Takes a lot of pressure off....lol! Most important .... have fun!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I tried qualifying for a local clubs Eagle Eye competition for the first time a couple years ago. For $1 you got two chances to hit an orange sticker on a deer target. I had never tried this before in all the years they have done it.

It was just my buddy, myself, and the guy I gave the dollar to. First shot hit the sticker. I made a joke and said I paid for two shots and I was taking them. Second shot was also in the sticker!

The next day was the shoot off to decide the winner. After waiting for my turn for 1/2 hour I finally stepped up to the stake in front of several dozen spectators. Holy crap I could barely pull the bow back! Needless to say, the sticker was safe with my poor attempt. I did manage to hit the deer though. It was then I realized I should probably start breathing again.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Absolutely! Clients are always asking me to try out this or that bow, and I really want to, but hate shooting in front of other people.I want to say "sure, go for a walk and I'll try it out",lol!

I can shoot in front of a few close friends but that's it. Good thing bowhunting is a solitary sport(for me).

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Me too.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
The more you do it the better it'll get, then you will actually start to enjoy shooting in front of people. I used to suffer from this years back but now I just enjoy shooting and knowing I can make the shot.  Remember don't get stuck thinking, don't miss,  think I'm going to put it right there.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Not as much of a problem as it once was. Sometimes, though I just plain choke. Oh well, if I had to depend solely on hunting for all my food, I would shoot a .30-06, not a bow.  Once I realized it is a game, it was easier to become a kid again and play without caring what others think of my shooting.
Sam

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
By the way Sean, you shot good in front of Irv, me and Shooter.

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I am a total headcase and it doesn't matter what the weapon is...

I never had this problem playing hockey though, so I guess I would suggest wearing a helmet =)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Don't get me started or talk with my buddies "Possum Head" or "Pascagoula Archer" on here unless you want to wind up with the worst case of TP youve ever had! It is a form of TP and I have suffered for years with the exact thing you described. But mine has progressed to now where even by myself it is a nearly impossible task at times to get to full draw and at times the sudden uncontrollable release of the arrow yikes!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I can't shoot if my dang dog is watching me !!! Lol.   I shoot pretty well when it's just me, put me around some folks and my form goes out the window and i can't hit crap ....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I am just the opposite, I shoot worst in front of people because I tend to relax too much and loose my concentration. I will close my eyes when we are in turkey blind together if that will help!   :bigsmyl:  Shawn
Shawn

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I always choke in front of people. I've gotten now so I try to practice with people watching and try to shoot in groups.

Is still a work in progress but getting better very slowly
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
If it's people that I don't know, I usually shoot better, we have a walking path next to our archery range and when I know people have stopped to watch me shoot, I think I concentrate harder and aim better because I usually shoot great. When it's friends, I just step up and shoot too fast cause I'm comfortable I think, lol.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Im alot better at it then I use to be. I treat the pressure like a hunting situation and just try to do my best. I try to focus on my pulling and not releasing or anchoring that will all happen on its own when the time is right. It sounds like your dealing with a diffirent form of TP.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©