3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting tips!  (Read 176 times)

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting tips!
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Hey Folks,
I've decided to try some turkey hunting this year. I've never been before, so I need some tips and advise. I'll be hunting the same area I deer hunt in and have seen and heard them quite a bit during deer season. Anyone know of a good how to video I could get? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Charlie
   :archer2:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting tips!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
I'd suggest going to your area of choice around the later part of dusk,use whatever call your good with,and "call". If you hear gobbling,they are obviously there,and likely roosting close. If not,try another area. Drive around until you see,or hear them. Then the hunt is on. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
My recommedation is to find someone in your area that would be nice enough to take you out.  A lot of guys may not want to share there hunting spot so it might help if you offer to take them to yours.  You will cut the learning curve more than in half.  

Make  sure you have a good Blind set up, couple good decoys and a call that works for you.  Can't beat a good old box call or slate to get started.  Good luck.  Nothing like the sounds of spring turkey hunting.
T ZZZZ

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
One thing I learned was to not use shotgun hunters on videos as an example.  What I mean by that is, don't sit with something to your back and nothing out in front of you.  The Primos Matrix is a good blind.  Get a slate call and start "you-tubing".  Welcome to the addiction!!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Another thing NOT to do like some shotgun hunters is: when you hear a tom going off, don't go running after it. When hunting on busy private a public grounds I have had a number of hunts broken down because some kid with a shotgun came in running trying to get the tom that I was calling in.  Even if there are no other hunters around and you hear a gobble much after sunup remember that the tom can hear you yelp and will see you first if you push your luck trying to get too close before setting up a shooting situation.  I always like a rise in the land when this happens, turkeys can peak through thick cover better than I can.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
There's a n
million things, but I like the one where you go out with an experienced guy to mentor you. When you find one who is willing, ask him about his gear choices. Maybe he will take his calls and let you try them. Let him scout with you and help select the hunt site.
I think a blind is a near must. Be sure you wear black including gloves, shirt and face mask. Sit way back in the shadows of the blind. Try not to set up so the morning (or afternoon) sun shines directly in the shooting window. Keep back windows shut. Move slowly when you draw. Don't use the shoot thru mesh.  Try to mimic whoever is talking to you...to a point. There's a time to quit calling too.
There's a lot more tips. Hope some of these help.
Best of Luck...no thrill like watching the spring turkey mating ritual, even if you come home without one.
Somebody else can chime in...
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Let em get in close, broadside, not strutting, and shoot them right in the thigh.  This is straight up the legs, about 1/2 way up the body.  The can't run or fly with broken legs, plus it's quickly fatal.  Us a big sharp broadhead and enough arrow weight and bow to penetrate - they aren't always easy to penetrate as the feathers slow and arrow quickly - as do the bones if you hit the leg bones or wing bones.  Have fun - they're a riot, and sometimes so frustrating that you wish you'ld never tried to hunt them!
Dan Brockman

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. Went Sat. but only heard them way off on another club. Didn't have any luck trying to call. Went back to the spot I usually park on a woods road, backed in, turned off my Jeep and was thinking about getting a cup of coffee before I went back in for the evening hunt. Hadn't set there but maybe 5 minutes and heard a turkey. Sounded like it was really close so I stepped out of the Jeep to listen and heard another one on the creek right behind me, two less than 20 yards away.
My first thought when I heard it was that I'd bumped my box call, lol.....anyway I look up and a big jake trots right down the road 10 yards from me. Never paid any attention to me. After he went by he hooked up with the other one behind me on the creek. I tried to ease around and see them , but they saw me first and took off. Guess I should've just stayed put at the Jeep and tried to call them back. That was my first time to go turkey hunting so I wasn't sure what to do, or when to do it! Might try it again next weekend. Again, thanks for the tips.
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
>>>>>----------------->

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Roughrider
I have always thought the thigh shot was a good one but can now say I will not take the shot again.  I hit a very nice bird Saturday morning right thru the thighs.  Heard a big thud and watched the bird fall over down the hill.  Next thing I knew he was airborn and gliding down the valley.  I would not have thought a turkey yo get aorborn with broken legs.  That was not the case in this situation.  My partner who was with me thought that the steep hill may have inabled him to get off the ground.
T ZZZZ

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
invest in a string tracker you wont be sorry
Make a life, not a living

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
The string tracker has a limited range, but in a cross wind make certain that there is a lot of room in the air for the string.  In a wind there is more drift at times than one may think.  I heard of a fellow that uses modified blunts for turkeys and knocks them down hard.  I have had DNR boys tell me that a large blunt is more deadly than a broadhead and they wished everyone would go to them.  At my 51 pounds at 26" I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of any kind of a blunt, but still they are legal.  They would maybe work with a head and neck shot for the average trad bow, but then broadheads are lethal with that same hit. I don't know about the rest you crack shots, but for me that turkey head is difficult to hit. I think that I will put my trust in the big Deadheads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©