3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snow turkeys  (Read 753 times)

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
Snow turkeys
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I posted last week about the 20" of snow we received after my son and I had returned from True South Adventures.  Quite the rude welcome home.

I finally had a chance to get out and do some turkey hunting again this am.  I did not even have 1/2 my coffee drank when the birds started gobbling.

I was nice and comfortable in the blind, the dekes were set and I was ready to start talking turkey.  My first soft yelps were met with not only gobbles but hen yelps.  I was then pretty quiet as the flock was carrying on quite a bit.  Multiple gobbles, yelps, purring, jostling and such.

After a few minutes I heard the same hen yelping.  So I answered her and she responded.  She was coming in hard.  That is not all that uncommon, but she was pulling a gobbler with her.  When I first saw her she was on a mission, the gobbler was gobbling, then running, then trying to strut.  It was quite a site and for those who have turkey hunted know that it rarely happens like that.

They hit the dekes and she went over to my hen.  The gobbler finally caught up and hit full strut.  Paying no attention to my strutter or hen deke.

I then lost track of the hen and was fully concentrating on the gobbler.  I had already nocked an arrow and tension on the string right after I got the first visual.

After one false draw, he dropped out of strut and turned broadside.  I drew, anchored, picked my spot and released.  The arrow flew true, or so I thought.  He jumped at impact and started a slow run.  This is where I typically watch them run/stumble 20-50 yards and watch them go down.

He did no such thing.  Made a loop and came back by me at about 15 yards.  I was still waiting for him to tip over, but then I noticed the broadhead had come out low.  After I watched him make another big loop behind the blind, I thought o'boy, I might be in trouble.

I had good tracking snow, so I was just going to give him plenty of time.  I always get a bad feeling on turkeys when they do not go down right away.  But I also know that if hurt bad enough they will not go far and tuck in to hide.

As I was trying to finish my coffee and wait for time to go away.  I heard multiple gobbles and carrying on again.  I grabbed the call and gave some seductive yelps. Immediately I heard a reply.  I yelped again, gobble, yelp, gobble, all the while getting closer.  Once they were close, I just shut up.  Soon enough I could see some hens coming my way, and bringing up the rear was four more gobblers.

Three of the gobblers and a few hens got sidetracked doing what turkeys do.  But 1/2 dozen hens and one gobbler conitnued working their way in.  While they were doing that, two of the rear gobblers started fighting.  They put on quite a show.  Purring, wing beating, and such pecking order violence.  

Finally the hens and first gobbler came into the dekes.  He gave me another great broadside shot.  Same drill as before: draw, anchor, pick a spot, release.  This arrow passed completely through. The gobbler jumped and started his death walk.  I have seen it a few times, zip and arrow through a turkey and they slowly/gingerly walk/run away.  He made it about 25 yards before he hit the snow and death flopped.

Wow did that just happen?  My SD archery tag and my SD Black Hills tag possibly filled?  But I have a turkey to find yet.....

I waited two hours to start tracking the first bird. Easy to track, plenty of blood and the broadhead was dragging in the snow intermittently.  He was following the rimrock: he stopped, zigged and zagged, made circles and even backtracked some.

I had followed the tracks about 200 yards from where I shot him when started wondering.  Doubting, questioning, the feeling that is always there until you find the animal.  It just started to become a bigger elephant in the room.

That's when the tracks dove off the rimrock into the canyon.  I looked up and saw a turkey moving away from me in the ironwood trees about 80 yards in front of me.  Seemed to be moving OK, and I could not see an arrow.  I had not found an arrow yet.  I didn't know if that was him or another turkey, so I stuck with the tracks.

I kept trailing, keeping my eyes peeled in front.  Hoping to possibly get a glimpse.  I came to a small rise and the track was gone.  He took off flying.  Very common occurence in the Black Hills.  I studied the tracks and the wing marks to get a take-off direction.  I then started zig zagging in that direction.  After about 35 yards I saw a big hole in the snow with blood. I found his crash landing sight.  The arrow must have hampered his flight control.

At this point the turkey is heading straight down, to the bottom of the canyon!  The elephant is getting smaller, there is a glimmer of hope.  After tracking for another 60-70 yards, I finally see him tucked in by the base of a tree.  A coup de grace was administered and my snow double was complete.

As I as write this we are in another winter weather strom alert and expecting another 8-16" of snow.  I don't think I will complain about the snow.  :)  

Inquiring minds.......

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snow turkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Well done my friend.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Now that is a Turkey hunt!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
That's amazing.Nice job.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
That's so cool!!   :archer:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Wow cool story...I don't think too many get to turkey hunt in the snow. Congrats  :thumbsup:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Quite a change from 80's of south Florida.  It is not uncommon to hunt them in the snow around here.  But it has been an exceptionally white April so far.  With big accumulations of 20, 6, and the expected 8-15" tonight/tomorrow since returning last Monday from FL.

When we get the big snows, the turkeys will typically stay in the roost all day.  Then they go into what I call survivor mode.  More focused on food than anything.

But have successfully called them in during little snow squalls that can be very common this time of year in the higher elevations.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
That's a fantastic hunt no pun intended.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
That was a very good read. Thank you for taking the time to post it. Congrats on a fine double.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
That's awesome Chad!!!    :thumbsup:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
That was a very good read. Thank you for taking the time to post it. Congrats on a fine double.
I agree thank you   :thumbsup:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Thats too cool good job.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
very good story and CONGRATS on some fine birds and one heck of a hunt!!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Great story and congrats!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Now that's a turkey hunt!  Congratulations on your double!  You're in one of the prettiest areas of the country!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Congrats! That is a cool hunt.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©