3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caribou-hunts and prices???  (Read 1278 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
Caribou-hunts and prices???
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
I would like to get some info on caribou hunts, and am trying to do it on a tight budget.  I haven't started doing any research yet, just wanted to pick some "experienced brains" here first.  I live in central Michigan and have a few parameters for the trip.  The guys I go to Missouri with are not big on the idea of LONG travel days, and big prices- neither am I.  Has anyone got info on a hunt that fits these qualifications:
Within 10-12 hour drive from home
Archery gear hunt, (they shoot wheels)
Price range $2000-3500?? (my wifes imposed limit)

Not sure if a hunt like this is out there, but I would love to hunt caribou, just the idea of seeing numerous animals under spot and stalk conditions gets me going.  My other troops are not convinced it would be a good time, so I have some work to do from that side of the deal.  We are WT guys, and booked our second trip to Missouri for this fall.  I am thinking in 2008 that we change venue and animal species.  Anyone have any experience they could share to help narrow my search and get this ball rolling for me??
Thanks  Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caribou-hunts and prices???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
If you doubled your drive time, you'd have a better shot, I think.  I've never gone, but have done some research...Your cost is on the low side, as well...unless a winter hunt or something...not prime time, though.

Others with more experience may chime in with different info, though.

I am itching to do a caribou hunt...some preliminary planning happening now...

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
$1000 airfare and share of motel in routeto AK.
$500 licences (I thnk they are going up next year)
$1500 bush flight minimum
$3000 total without incidentals but this is probbaly a bit low even on a budget.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
I've been to NF twice, and Quebec once. The limits you have set will make it impossible to have a quality hunt
Make a life, not a living

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
the problem is going that far, and missing the migration in a fixed camp situation, which is likely what you would do on a budget hunt.

Getting there is the expensive part- NWT as an example, I had four changes of planes just to get to the camp. It took a full day (15 hours) and a half day to get there, same coming back.

You could use sky miles to buy part of your tickets, or you could drive if you have a decent mileage per gallon vehicle that will carry all your stuff.

Motel nights to and from, probably, are pretty expensive too...everything in Yellow Knife or places like that are more expensive because it costs a lot to get things that far north, just like remote places in Alaska, as an example.

Once you get to camp, the more you pay, generally, the more likely it is you are going to have the ability to get flown out in front of the herds in case they are not coming into your area.

I know if I go that far, I want to SEE caribou. I have heard many horror stories about Quebec..so do lots of research.

One other thing you should think about is joining one of those services like Huntin' Fool- they offer cancellation hunts. You could join for around 100 bucks, and save your money up, be patient....you know...maybe you wont go the first year..but these cancellation hunts come up everyyear where guys for one reason or another just cannot go so you can get them reasonable and do it with a reputable outfitter if you have done your homework.

I would decide where I wanted to go first, what price I could afford, and then do the cancellation hunt thing, or go to bowhunter banquets, SCI banquets, NWTF, whatever is in your area and try to buy a hunt at auction. Usually they are for two people...and you can contact the outfitter and make a deal for the other two guys you have in your group - nothing is written in stone with an outfitter, and getting four guys at once, well thats sometimes a plus for him so don't leave a stone unturned, don't be afraid to ask..you can only get told NO.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
www.trophylabrador.com.   I went with these guys, and it is great.  Alot of other Traditional Bowhunters have gone with these guys too, including Don Thomas, and Biggie Hoffman.  They both pointed me in this direction when I started looking to go on a caribou hunt.  It does not mention it on their website, but I believe they offer a winter hunt that is cheaper.  In either case, I did the whole thing for about $4,000 flying from Illinois.  If you drive up there with a group of guys, you'll save a lot of money, since I spent about $1,000 on airfair.  Something to consider.

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Dave sent you a pm, Gib

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
Let me know what you find out Dave! It's been a HUGE dream of mine to go on a caribou hunt and I'm on the same budget. There are hunts in Ontario, but if someone knows of a great deal I'd like to know also. I've seen it where you get discounts for a group of hunters..hint,hint...
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
Your budget may be a little low.  I suggest a combo hunt, which I did for moose/caribou in NF in 2005 for $4500, and had chances at both animals.  I drove all the way from NC to save money.  Two other guys in camp drove all the way from Iowa.  Driving such distances (30+ hours) works out with a partner to take turns, and for bringing back meat and antlers.  We went with MVO and the moose hunting was good, the caribou hunting poor, in our particular area.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I know that bou look cool and all, but the price is ridiculous.  You could take 3 weeks and hunt elk in 2 or 3 states for that, and drive less.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
The price may seem ridiculous, Bowdude, but just imagine an outfitter having to pay 2,500 dollars for each time a plane comes to camp to drop supplies?  That makes potato chips, soda, or tomatoes very expensive by the time they get to the camp, no?

Gas  for outboard motors, propane for cooking, whatever you need up that far needs bringing in and it costs money.

The things you see in NWT at least are things you will NOT see elk hunting. Snowy owls, wolverines, arctic fox and wolf, tundra grizzlies, ermine, snowshoe hare, gyrfalcons, golden eagles, 48 inch lake trout and 2 lb grayling, some even see muskox, and Inuit guides and camp staff- the hunt is a life experience, believe me.

I haven't hunted Quebec, but the central barren ground hunts are tremendous trips..worth the price.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
We may "book" hunts out of Ontario, but there is NO caribou hunting in Ontario.
Closest we have is in Quebec.
BD

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.  I have been busy at work, finally got some cold weather, so I haven't had time to research anything still.  I will get to it soon, and pm the guys that responded.
Thanks
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline justin snyder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
bowdude, you are talking a self guided hunt. If you want to try a self guided hunt for caribou you can save a lot of money. GOOD LUCK you will need it. If you hire a quality guide for a trophy elk hunt expect to pay that much just for the booking.  Justin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©