3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Friend with land and "mission"  (Read 465 times)

Offline Haikan

• Trad Bowhunter
Friend with land and "mission"
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I'm being introduced to a new friend who has a homestead near where I live, and while discussing some of the joys and headaches of owning chickens(i've got a modest four in my yard in tampa) I was told a sad story about some mysterious animal clawing some of the chickens to death through the chickenwire when noone was around. I mentioned that my girlfriend and I were prospective bowhunters soon to acquire our licenses and may be able to investigate and perhaps bring the animal to justice. Her answer was an enthusiastic yes, she wants to talk about it with me and Vicky tomorrow.

I have no idea what her land looks like or what kind of game sign I'll find, although I suspect the culprit is most likely a possum or a raccoon.
May the Road treat you well.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Friend with land and "mission"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Good luck and make sure the animal you harvest is legal! No better way to cut your teeth on hunting than small game.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Haikan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks! I'm trying not to get my hopes too  high since I have no idea what the property is like but it's hard not to be excited. I'm sure there's at least one chicken-mauler around there somewhere and after scouting the land I'll bring my list of legal game and check it twice before nocking any arrows. I'll also be sure to follow up on the adventure-log here if anything comes of it.  :)

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Sounds like a great adventure to get you started.
 If it "clawing through the wire" it could be a Bobcat ! Possum, coon or skunk would bite their heads or necks primarily. Small game / varmits can be tough, good luck.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Legal or not if an animal was killing my chickens I would handle them.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Again check your states laws, many make allowances for nuisance critters and such. shooting at night especially in a town there may be town laws also better safe than sorry.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
We had the same problem when we had chickens. Put a trail camera in the chicken pen and it was coons. Best solutions was trapping and recycling them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Feral cats are also heck on chickens.  You'd be surprised what your housecat will kill just for the fun of it.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Put up a game camera first to see what you are dealing with. Chances are it's nocturnal activity. Then forumulate a plan to dispose of the beast. BTW a .22 will take care of the problem quickly and surely and will endear you to the landowner better than a miss with your bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Haikan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Thank you, you all raise really good points. While it would be a huge help, unfortunately I can't afford a camera in the near future; are there other tips regarding how to determine what it is? I won't be using a gun, and I suspect that might be related to her stance on letting me use her land (since she lives in a town with lots of hunters, I get to wondering 'why me').

If I do get target panic and miss, is that "game over?" Or can I just try again another day if that happens?

Offline Haikan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I met with her today and she said there are at least ten raccoons that frequent her land and she has some possum and fox problems every now and then, but it's mostly raccoon. She added that bunnies are off limits because they are cute and don't hurt anything. I'm going over to her house this weekend during her birthday party and she recommended I bring a bottle of scotch for her husband.   :p

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Check for tracks around the hen house.  You will know what you are up against
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
I would bet it's raccoons at night(it's legal to hunt them at night in FL). Bring a red light and set-up at dusk.
Forget blunts or judo points, use broadheads, coons are tough animals.(I've lost count of how many raccoons I've killed with a bow).
If you get an arrow in one, run it down and finish the job, you don't want the landowner or neighbor to find a dead coon on their lawn.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Make sure you treat the landowners right, there's no telling what doors it could open for you.
Good luck!

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
The landowner finding dead animals is one thing. Finding a live coon running around with an arrow through it is another.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Another round of chickenwire 6" away from the first would be more effective in saving the chickens than trying to eradicate them with a bow.  You'll never get rid of them as long as they can get to the chickens.  

But it sure is fun to hunt at night so definitely give it a go.  

My brother shot a coon off his roof with his recurve a couple nights ago.  Centerpunched his chest as he was standing on hindlegs.  The damn thing still got the arrow out of him and got away.  My first trad kill was a raccoon and he did not die easy.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Oh yeah, scotch makes an evening of coon hunting even more fun  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Haikan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Alright, I'm definitely going to use these great ideas. Red light, broadheads.. run it down.

So that means I chase it while it's still alive after the hit and snatch it and cut it's neck? If so, are bleeding raccoons hard to catch? Retreival at night is definitely a bit intimidating since I've never tried it before.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I wouldn't grab a wounded coon at all.  Just keep shooting.  The last one I shot took 3 BHs before he went down.  1 through the pelvis from behind and up to the sternum. And two in the boiler room.  If your friend is squimish at all I'd make sure they aren't watching.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
NOOOOO don't grab it! Just keep shooting until it's dead, (which may include running after it)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©