3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk weight  (Read 437 times)

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk weight
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
55 !
The older I get the better I was

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I will start by saying I have never hunted Elk but having seen a few on trips to Colorado and north Arkansas they are a big critter that I would suspect have some pretty thick hide and bones. I would not feel comfortable shooting anything below 50# and would feel much better with 55#-60# and 600 plus grain arrows. I know there isn't much poundage difference in 50# and 55# but that extra 5# in my experience shooting tends to really boost arrow speed with a 600 plus grain arrow. All that said my preferred weight in a hunting bow is 60# but I have shot through many whitetails and a couple hogs with 55#
James Kerr

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Deeter,
If you have trouble with accuracy on heavier bows, I would respectfully suggest that you look for a more effecient 50# bow (see Bjorns' post) than the Kmag just to be safe. I would characterize your set up as a medium-light weight arrow with a medium-slow bow. But consider the source...I am in the 55-60, 10 grains/lb club and have only shot through two bulls.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »
what ever you pick, tune it and when you r done tuning it do it again..... get arrows flying clean and straight.
also the last thing you need to do before you go is tune it one last time.
good luck.
-just add effort.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
go for a scary sharp two blade as well.
-just add effort.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
Considering that much less efficient primitive bows and stone points have been successful for thousands of years, a modern bow, and razor sharp metal broadhead will do just fine. Have confidence in your perfectly tuned arrows, and put that shot in the boiler room, and you'll follow a short blood trail to your trophy. Good luck, and post some pics!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
shot one with a 54# longbow and going to chase them this year with a 51#.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I keep thinking back to whar Ryan Rothhaar said."You really realize how big they are when they are on the ground."

It's truly an understatement.It is an eye opener to stand over the first one.Big creatures and tough.

My thoughts are,if you have to go in the low 50's,make sure it is an efficient setup,especially the arrow an broadhead.The broadhead and shaft need to be tough and tuned,and of a weight you know will penetrate well.

If anything is ever going to go wrong in the field,being within bow range of a screaming bull after days of playing tag and possibly after extreme physical exertion,would probably be the place.The more you can handle well,the better.

Many people travel and incur a lot of expense to go on an elk hunt so a good bit is at stake.So many things can go wrong at the moment of truth but equipment failure should be the last on that list.There are months before an elk hunt to work into or work up a good elk setup.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I think I read in Dave Peterson's book on elk hunting that he used a 53 lb Shrew with fairly heavy arrows. I don't have the book handy but it seemed to be a carefully thought-out combination.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
I think I read in Dave Peterson's book on elk hunting that he used a 53 lb Shrew with fairly heavy arrows. I don't have the book handy but it seemed to be a carefully thought-out combination.
Yes, 53lb shrew, 650gr arrow, foc over 20%, single bevel head. I believe it was two years ago he went through a shoulder on a 5x5 bull and made a clean kill.

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Most of my elk have been killed with 73lbs or so. One year I had to hunt with 53lbs due to injury. I got good penetration but no exit hole. I had to drop my bow weight again due to  a long layup off my feet so the last few have been with around 60lbs and have all had exit holes. I'd shoot the heaviest you can shoot accurately, but would try to keep that as close to 60lbs or above as possible. I use 10gpp arrows.
Gary

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Deeter...im not going to put a # on things here but what i will say is you need to talk to Larry Hatfield of Martin archery...ask him how many elk he has killed with a 50lb bow...while ur at it pick his brain about arrow weight and broadheads...then follow his advice...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Seen enough elk shot w/ 50lbs or less (5).Furthest w/ 25yrds and all where trouble to recover.

My outlook on elk is a big animal which means a larger kill zone,which means further shots.If you are dicipline and keep to 20yrds or less,you are fine.If you push that 30+yrds?I would go w/ more horsepower.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
There is a lot of great information in this post the only thing that I can add is don't over bow yourself and make sure you can hit what your aiming at and make sure your broadheads are razor sharp and have fun. The Elk woods are awesome.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©