3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Inch Feather  (Read 390 times)

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Two Inch Feather
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Picked up some 2" feathers and made up a couple four fletch with them just to see.
Well they look cool and they fly great. I dont know how they would do with broadheads but with field points no problem.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Inch Feather
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
If your arrows are tuned good enough that should work. But I like more just for better flight in case of operator errors  :) .
Denny

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I have shot them quite a bit, no problem with broadheads as long as they are tuned to your set-up. I only use 3 fletch so 4 would be even better! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Should work fine!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
With all due respect, if and should just ain't quite good enough for me.

I have tried two and three inch feather. And they fly great on a prfectly calm day. But take them out on a windy, or slighty windy day with a field tip and you get real live example why the greatest archers in the world use 4 and 5 inch feathers. Then, put your favorite broadhead on those same arrows in the same slighty windy days, and then mutiply that by a flaw in your form and then shooting through a thicket at your prize buck and clipping a limb.

Just my opinion I could be wrong!

Good luck!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Well gonefishing600 I said they fly good for me you dont have to use them, just another reason I dont post much.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Didn't mean to offend know one. If I did, please forgive me.

I guess I screwed up again!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by gonefishing600:
With all due respect, if and should just ain't quite good enough for me.

I have tried two and three inch feather. And they fly great on a prfectly calm day. But take them out on a windy, or slighty windy day with a field tip and you get real live example why the greatest archers in the world use 4 and 5 inch feathers. Then, put your favorite broadhead on those same arrows in the same slighty windy days, and then mutiply that by a flaw in you form and then shooting through a thicket at your prize buck and clipping a limb.

Just my opinion I could be wrong!

Good luck!
Pretty much my experience too, bought a bunch of those razer feathers, ended up using two of them in each position basically making a 4"fletch, flew pretty good then. And my arrows are tuned pretty good, and that's not just my oppinion!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Buck, don 't be too sensative.  This site is full of guys who have shot stikbows forvtwo years and are experts on every aspect of the sport.  Hold on awhile and some creditable guys may comment.  No offense to any intended
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
We all need to keep in mind that we cannot 'hear' what someone has typed on these pages- and what may be  well-intentioned advice could come across as biting simply because the author's style of writing is misinterpreted.

I can say that while i had my custom arrow business going years ago I experimented with all sizes and numbers of fletch and as suggested have found any combination of fletch that was under 12" total length very sensitive to winds, just like really big fletching, , and deflection by even the smallest twig when using broad heads. And, if you live or ever go west of the Mississippi to hunt -the wind will be almost always a big factor when shooting.

I personally would be hesitant to hunt with two inch feathers -but I also do not use the big high profile ones either. Extremes are usually where u get into trouble
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Some like to whittle down sticks, tie on wild turkey feathers and a piece of rock with whatever works. Then shoot em with another whittled down stick. That system has worked fairly well for quiet a while.

I like 3, 3" shield cut with big Simmons Tree Sharks on MFX skinny shafts.

If you like what you shoot and it works for you I would use it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
here we go again, down that slippery marginal-at-best arrow feather fletch size route ....

while it's fine and dandy to experiment with all manner of arrow guidance systems, small area feather fletches mounted on hunting arrows meant for deer and larger game, that sport sharp blade points are a definite gamble of sorts when compared to large feather fletches, with large and generous surface areas, and a goodly twist to 'em.      :readit:

this is PARTICULARLY TRUE for newbies to trad bowhunting.  you have enuf to be concerned about let alone will yer arrow fletching be able to handle and properly stabilize those not-so-good releases.  remember, a well placed straight flying arrow is lots better than a well placed wobble flight arrow, in terms of penetration on good sized game.

don't think so?  still wanna use weenie 2" and 3" feather fletches that you know will fly straight and true no matter how good or bad yer release?  have at it, friend - and good luck.    

ps - this thread will not last long, promise.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
These's a huge difference in arrow stability with field tips on a calm beautiful day than in the brush hunting on a dreary wet chilled to the bone day trying to achieve a smooth release with a broadhead tipped shaft with matted down wet feathers.

If everything isn't tuned exactly perfect or a  perfect release, arrows fly like swirling bottle rockets.... Been there done that...8^)

Happened years ago and cost me a good buck using four, 4" shields. Shot and practiced the matted feathers the whole way out the woods that day and enlightened me how much wet matted feathers affects arrow stability...

I now shoot the 5-1/2" high backs, and lately have been playing with adding a Blazer vane or vanes to my wet weather arrows.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Even the big ones catch the wind and play hell with arrow flight.  Been there and done that too.  I have had a 5.5" fletched arrow turn sidewise when it passed thru a windy area. Feathers catch the wind. .  that's their job.

While I definately agree that tiny feathers are not the way to go, I also feel that 5" or better feathers are not required for good arrow flight, if you did your homework, and you GOT to do your homework.

This is like a lot of other posts, with someone, typically someone new to the sport, with not a lot of actual experience asking about how to push the envelope.  A lot of the envelopes have already been pushed, but a lot of what we do has also been based upon the "we've always done it that way" routine and some pushing might be OK.  

In all things, Test your equipment in situ,  that kinda means in the situation.  Fletch them up five ways to heck, put on a big broadhead, a small braodhead, shoot it dry and wet (safely).

Then YOU have the answer you are looking for.  Ask for opinions, sure,  but do your own homework.  That is called experience and it is a good thing.

ChuckC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
ihmo, and for the very most part ....

large helical feathered fletching and significant crosswind and targeted game at more than 20 yards is mostly an open hunt scenario, and not about what most woods hunters experience from treestands and ground blinds.  5" or longer full helical shields or parabolics will do just fine for most of us.  there is no advantage with 2"-3" mini fletching.  in fact, i prefer 3 x 5.5" full helical burnt shields ...

hunting open ground, such as out west in a pronghorn blind, is another matter that might mean re-evaluating fletching for added arrow speed and wind conditions.  this is where i like a 4 x 4" banana fletch ...

2" or 3" fletching?  nope, not a high enuf consistent positive steerage factor under all conditions, including both the skill and luck of the bow operator.     :saywhat:     :)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Basically it's pushing the envelope and in bowhunting there is no need to push the envelope. It's best to stick with the tried and true if you want to be a successful hunter. Now if you're punching little holes in foam or paper then have fun and experiment.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Basically it's pushing the envelope and in bowhunting there is no need to push the envelope. It's best to stick with the tried and true if you want to be a successful hunter. Now if you're punching little holes in foam or paper then have fun and experiment.
yessir.     :readit:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I have to agree with ChuckC above. I hunt the windy west and for me, tuned arrows with big feathers fly worse than tuned arrows with little feathers in a cross wind.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©