3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Inch Feather  (Read 391 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Inch Feather
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I've followed Rob on this topic on countless threads.  After doing my own experimenting I have found my top performer.

4 X 4 parobolics set helical with natural goose feathers from Magnus.  High profile from a feather chopper and waterproof.  Amazingly stable flight with complete confidence.

Given my location I need not speak to wind and rain.  :saywhat:  

Thanks Tech guy and thanks TG!

:campfire:    
~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Like I said in my first post..

If you like what you shoot   and it works for you  I would use it.

Three, 3" shield cut Magnus wild turkey feathers with big Simmons Tree Sharks on MFX 400 skinny shafts works for me.

They fly great in wind or whatever and get where they are going quicker and quieter than bigger feathers. I don't hunt in the rain anymore.

I like speed and everything in my set-up is geared towards it. I'd rather gamble on my arrow getting to a deer or turkey and hitting my intended mark at 20 to 25yds with a fast quieter arrow than a slower noisier one. As we all know (but is readily overlooked when it comes to discussing speed and stickbows) when it comes to jumping the string a fps or two counts.

If I have release or tuning problems I'll work on my form and shaft size before adding feathers.

One of the main reasons I hunt with recurves is because I like pushing the envelope.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
OK, I am a bit confused. Some say bigger do better in the wind, others say the opposite. I shoot a lot of feather and they yaw in the wind quite a bit. Wanting to try less feather for that reason. I have always shot bigger and am resisting the notion that smaller is better in a crosswind. I guess experimentation is next.
Tom

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
OK, I am a bit confused. Some say bigger do better in the wind, others say the opposite. I shoot a lot of feather and they yaw in the wind quite a bit. Wanting to try less feather for that reason. I have always shot bigger and am resisting the notion that smaller is better in a crosswind. I guess experimentation is next.
if crosswind is an issue for most of your hunts, try a low profile 4" banana, either 3 or 4 fletch (i highly recommend the 4-fletch).  with a 4-fletch, i prefer fletch offset only, no helical.  you can easily modify a li'l chopper banana jig to make a 4" lo-pro shape instead of the larger 5+" shape ...

here's a "fat" 4-fletch, 4" custom burnt shield shape ... lots of steerage, less wind resistance ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
I have to agree with ChuckC above. I hunt the windy west and for me, tuned arrows with big feathers fly worse than tuned arrows with little feathers in a cross wind.
I agree.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
yes, well, it's a no-brainer than big, stable fletching will be affected by the wind far more than smaller, lower profile feathers.

if you hunt the prairie critters, you will need to get your tackle and shooting act more together than a woodland hunter.  adding to the wind factor, your kill distances will typically be greater as well.

long, low profile fletching, particularly a 4-fletch, will offer very good steerage if you do your part.  these kinda fletches will offer more and better control than a gaggle of 2" or 3" fletchings.  do the testing and see for yerself.

i'll add - big feathered shafts will yaw in a goodly crosswind, but small fletchings and a bad release will do more than just yaw.  experiment and use what works consistently best for you.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
It has been my experence that larger "traditional" sized fletching straightens up much faster off the bow.  I'm still not getting the ultra-light fishing direction here.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I have found that 3" 3 fletch shoot great, and even better in cross winds than 4" or 5", no tail kick at all, even shooting across 30 yds.
samuel koger

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
If its ok for a guy out west to shoot lower profile, why is it not good for the woods hunter to shoot the same?
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by kenn1320:
If its ok for a guy out west to shoot lower profile, why is it not good for the woods hunter to shoot the same?
because big helical fletching will straight out a hunting shaft better than one with small, low surface area fletching.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Newbie here.......you mean that a four fletch high profile 2" feather combination will not steer a broadhead tipped arrow as well as a three fletched, 4 inch low profile combination?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by dougedwards:
Newbie here.......you mean that a four fletch high profile 2" feather combination will not steer a broadhead tipped arrow as well as a three fletched, 4 inch low profile combination?

Doug
maybe, maybe not.

there are many variables to consider.  all that matters is personal good arrow flight, particularly in the case of one tipped with a broadhead.  some broadheads fly better than others.  some folks will shoot arrows with little or no fletching.  some use lots of fletching area and twist.

consistent good arrow flight, particularly with a broadhead, comes from shooting experience.  learn the basics and use proven broadhead arrow fletching first, then experiment, if need be.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
consistent good arrow flight, particularly with a broadhead, comes from shooting experience. learn the basics and use proven broadhead arrow fletching first, then experiment, if need be.
Rob

That. .  is the best answer, right there.  

Lots of things are possible, but learn the basics first.  Get your experience, then learn more using that experience.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©