3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full Strut decoy  (Read 351 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Full Strut decoy
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
I was given a full Strut Tom decoy because the people who used it said real Tom Turkeys ran from it.

I have a real Tom Turkey tail fanned out and I was thinking of making it into an exaggerated Jake tail then put it on the Deke.  

Has anyone tried this and what were their observations?

I only have a few days where I can turkey hunt and don't want to send birds the wrong way.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tradlab

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full Strut decoy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I never understood putting a tom fan on a decoy, I've had toms attack it and others run away.Began using a jake fan and they usually come in.After my jake fan wore out I took a tom fan and glued 4 feathers onto the middle feathers to extend them and make it look like a jake and it works great.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
They work well early season when the toms are still fighting for pecking order. I put mine away later and just use a hen.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I have a half strut jake, and have had toms look, but never had one commit.

A regular jake is much better for me. Yer mileage may vary!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Here in NY we cannot hunt till may. The birds are strutting now.  May just keep it in the shed, less to carry in the woods.

any other people try a jake in strut?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Charlie ive used a half strut jake decoy and scared a longbeard off quicker then spit! For where I hunt I just use hens maybe a breeding pair may work? But its been my experence you spook more then you bring in.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I had a full strut and the birds never liked it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I've killed many birds over my B-Mobile decoy...first when he was a longbeard and the last few years as a jake.....early in the season, they're DEADLY!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I`ve had more action using my Jake with a fan than without.I ain`t sure turkeys can tell what kind of fan it is. I know if you have him standing "tall" they will stay off some but if you have him low to the ground and looking like the smaller bird they come in.RC

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I just use 1 hen and 1 "relaxed" jake.  I place the hen in front facing me and the Jake about 2 yards behind. I've had both jakes and long beards make a bee line right to the jake.  Just beware of other hunters for safty.  good luck
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Only ever had one bird run from full strut decoy with real tail. I killed two last year just using a real tail and waving it at birds 300 plus yards away,they came a running! If only could have one decoy this would be way I'd go for sure, no questions.
hunt it

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I switched to a non strutting jake from dave smith, I'll never go back to a strutter.  Helped friends and family shoot 8 last year with the farthest shot being 16 yards and the closest was 4ish.

Offline straigharrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Didn't start turkey hunting until three years ago. First turkey I ever called in jumped up over a log pile 20 yards away in full strut. Saw my full strut decoy and took off in the other direction. Happened again a few days later. Talked to a turkey "expert" at work and he said he stopped using them for that reason. The first turkey I shot was one of two toms that came into a breeding pair set up.

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I use a full strutting jake decoy and in 3 years I have had 7 birds toms,and jakes come in ready to fight all have been shot a few on film I have not had a bird yet toms especially come in definitely not run away if it matters I am hunting eastern turkeys

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
I have been hunting turkeys since the early 1970's and what you will find is that every situation and each turkey encounter will be different.  There really is no right decoy or wrong decoy just the one that worked one partucular day.  I have worked birds for 2 hours to get them in and others two minutes.  It's all fun and worth experimenting.  As an example I used mouth calls exclusively for many years.  The last 4 I have went back to my 30 year old lynch box call and am kicking there butts with it.
T ZZZZ

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Joebuck uses one. It's hard to argue with his success.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
I've used the same strutter(B-mobile)since the first year it came out.Been alot of turkeys die trying to get close to him.
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
I have been hunting turkeys since the early 1970's and what you will find is that every situation and each turkey encounter will be different.  There really is no right decoy or wrong decoy just the one that worked one partucular day.  I have worked birds for 2 hours to get them in and others two minutes.  It's all fun and worth experimenting.  As an example I used mouth calls exclusively for many years.  The last 4 I have went back to my 30 year old lynch box call and am kicking there butts with it.
Well said.  Some days birds prefer the slate, others the mouth call, others a glass surface?  I just don't like carrying a strutter.  I've got enough junk!  :)    My best luck has been with a breeding pair.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shaun:
They work well early season when the toms are still fighting for pecking order. I put mine away later and just use a hen.
X2 God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Tracker, that is the best response I've heard yet to any thread like this.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©