3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rookie question.  (Read 159 times)

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rookie question.
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed string silencers changing your accuracy? I traded for a bow, a Firefly ,after I recieved it I of course shot it a bunch, really hit well with it after I got a set of arrows tuned for it. It had some silencers on it but just a few strands of the rubber cat whiskers. Well I had a new set and used the entire amount and tied them on. I started hitting 6 inches to the left, I figured it was me being I am pretty new to this and my form probably isnt the best. Well I have fought this for 2 weeks and decided to cut them off and my groups came right back to where they where susposed to. I know that adding them changed the force of the string on the arrow but should it really affect it that much? Any suggestions?
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rookie question.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
String silencers will absorb a small amount of energy from the string once the arrow is released. That's why they quite the bow.

If you installed the silencers after you tuned the arrows to your bow, your arrow will act a little stiff. So you will need to add (in my experience) 25 grains to the tip weight, or increase your brace height.

Hope this helps.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Yep. Put the silencers on and then tune your arrows. As was mentioned your arrows will act stiffer. Add point weight or go down in spine.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
It seems to me that six inches left is a lot for a change of string silencers.  I'm thinking that your arrow tuning must of been on the edge of not being the correct spine in the first place, and the new silencers pushed the dynamics over the edge.  Just a supposition.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I agree with Creekwood.  I use woolie whispers, which are physically lighter than cat whiskers, and I've never had them affect arrow flight. Even the heavier cat whiskers shouldn't affect arrow flight much, unless the arrows were close to the edge already.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Good advice above, you can trim the strands to a shorter length to lighten them up.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys, I figured maybe I was borderline on spine before adding them. Still I think I will go with some wool ones.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©