3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which bowfishing reel?  (Read 526 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
which bowfishing reel?
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Looking for some advice to replace my bottle
e reel.
I recently got the line wrapped around way deep inside my bottle reel...don't know how it happened, but cutting the line, we tried to  take it apart.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm not attempting this reconstruction.
Have you ever had one apart? OOOWeee..too many parts for me.
So...is there a better reel out there?
Doesn't Muzzy sell one that looks like a Zebco?
Is it better/tougher?
I lend it out quite a bit to clients and want something bombproof if there is such a thing.
Thanks...
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which bowfishing reel?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I've got one of the Muzzy's, but haven't used it yet.  Impressions of it are that it is one heavy duty spin-cast reel, but line doesn't come off as smoothly as with an AMS or open spool.
Other thing you have to remember with the spin-cast reels is to disengage the reel before you shoot.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Still no better than an AMS! Shawn
Shawn

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Hands down spin cast safest fastest either Zebco or Muzzy.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
Irv,
Cade used a Zebco in Florida with problems.  But I am not a bowfishing guru by any means.
Chad
Inquiring minds.......

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I've only recently did my first bowfishing, and I'm proud to say, I nailed my first fish with my first shot:) I was using the old fashioned manual bow reel I borrowed from my buddy, looks like a bowl you hand wrap the line on, don't know the proper name, and it was way less bothersome than my buddy and his wife that were using the Zebco closed faced type reels. Was kind of a pain when shooting off the bank in areas with brambles, but overall it worked great and I ended up buying one when I got home from my trip. If bullet proof is what you are looking for, I think it's the ticket! Although when my wife used it, she managed to get her finger over the line and it left a pretty good mark, she still almost got the gar she was shooting at. That's my very limited experience oppinion!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Go with either the muzzy or the 808 Zebco spincast reels they are very durable no line drag and when you tie the string to the back of the arrow (as most fishing arrows are drilled) they are idiot proof and safe if you dont trip the bale you will pull the arrow right off the string when you draw.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
I have both the AMS Retriever and a Zebco 808. I prefer the 808 spincast. I use braided spectra Power Pro line and it comes off as smooth as silk. I like the fact that you can reel in your fish with a spincast so it's faster than the AMS reels. Keep your drag set light and that should eliminate arrow snap-back if you forget to push the button and always use the slide attachment on the arrow that you attach your line to.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Muzzy spinner if you got 55.00 to spend. If you only have 25.00 buy the Shakespeare T120. With a few simple modifications they are a great reel .

Bretto

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Bretto is correct. Muzzys then zebco then Shakespeare. If you get the Shakespeare make sure you get the Ti model.

Spinners are much safer and you have more power to fight big fish.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Thanks guys.
I think I will try the Muzzy.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline nick straatmann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
zebco also makes a model 888 that you can switch which hand you reel with for about $30. I have two and they work great!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Hate to jump in with my own question, but, where would one find just the rod attachment if I already have an 888 reel and fishing arrow? I have an old recurve with the stabilizer insert below the handle and need a rod.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Here is a link to a muzzy reel seat. It is a beefed up version. There are cheaper ones but this is nice.

http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=38
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Both Kustom King and Three Rivers carry the reel seats also.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 02:53:00 AM »
I prefer the Muzzy closed face. The closed face reels are much faster and easier to reel in fish with than the bottles. If you miss [hey, it happens] very quick to reel back with the closed face. Playing big fish you don't have the slip you get with the bottles.

The only advantage you have with bottles is that you don't have to remember to push the button.

I like the muzzy over the others since its designed for bow fishing. They have a stainless pick up pin inside [some have plastic] which is the weak spot on this type of reel and will break easily with any hard use. I keep a spare pick up mechanism for the reason above. If you do a lot of bow fishing- I do- you get a season or two out of these reels is all
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »
I like to keep it simple. A Saunders shoot thru reel.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
I shoot a couple of the pushbuttons and an AMS; much prefer the AMS.  All the reels are a compromise and all have their pro points and place.  I sure wouldn't say that a PB is safer than an AMS, tho.  If I'm starting someone out, I give them the AMS and have a slide on the arrow.  No chance of snapback, no button to forget or have reset when you bump the reel handle.    :eek:  

Beaunaro, if you want to put that basketcase AMS in a box I'll trade you my Zebco 888 for it.    :thumbsup:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I've got an old Mac's Archery shoot thru reel. Circa, late 60's early 70's. Pretty cool idea, works just fine.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
forget about the slides and tie the string on the back of the arrow as they are designed and they are idiot proof as for arrow snap back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©