3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Luminescent arrows  (Read 456 times)

Offline OKCtradguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Luminescent arrows
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
I am trying to figure out a good way to make an arrow become luminescent.  There is a convention coming up in September in OKC and the company wants to start the convention off by shooting a flaming arrow at a torch and having the torch burst into flame.  The whole convention has an Olympic theme to it because the company is helping to sponsor the Olympics.  The problem is, the convention center managers prohibit open flame in the building so I am now trying to figure a way to simulate a flaming arrow.  The best I can come up with is to use some sort of UV reflective paint on my arrow and have the event organizers install UV/blacklights along the arrow path.  Can you guys think of other viable options?  Also, does anyone know of particular paints that would work well in this UV situation?

I have some control over the situation (I think) because I will be the one shooting it so I would really like to hear your ideas.  Thanks.
Glenn

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Luminescent arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
If you are shooting a carbon arrow why not try lumenocks to light the tail up...???

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
You might try reflective arrow wraps.  They should shine well if passed through UV light source.

Another possible solution would be to use the Cyalum chemical light sticks.  You snap them, break the vial seperating two chemicals and they product a chemical light.  After snapping them on they can be cut open and the chemical liquid applied to the arrow.  not sure how well the chemical would adhere to a slick shaft, perhaps apply some type of fuzzy stuff(?) to make the chemical adhere better during flight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Make your arrow out of a raw wood shaft so it would soak up and hold the liquid from the light stick.  Should work that way.

Dennis

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I may just have to try that myself.

Dennis

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Just get about a 1000 lighten bugs and rub them over the shaft. Just joking. Do what Mike said about the reflective wraps. A friend of mine has them and when car lights hit them it looks like he has a flash light. Hang the black lights down from the ceiling right under the arrows path when the arrow hits the target, have it time that a bright strobe light comes on.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Perhaps some sort of streamer from the back in orange and red colors to simulate flames??
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
You may want to hit one of the fishing tackle shops,and try some luminescent paint used on fishing lures?You can paint as little or as much as needed.Comes in green,white and pinkish red that Ive seen.Have the wife charge up the paint right before the shot.Looks pretty cool.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
Darn it I ment to say have the wife charge the paint with a flash light or flash attachment for a camera works best.They will glow for about 15 minutes.bd

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Does the arrow have to stick into anything? If not I would put an illuminock on the front of the arrow to give the impression of fire. Then just use a regular nock on the back. Also I like the idea of uv paint better then the wraps. The reason is because if you want the arrow to leave a streak as it flies you can have black lights focused along the path and you really won't see the light like you would bright spot lights. The only time it would really show is when the arrow flew under it which would make more of an effect. As far as where to get the paint. I would try hot topic or spencers gifts if you have a mall close by. If not a craft shop should have something. Good luck!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Reflective wraps only reflect light back to its source.  So unless you're going to have these lights near the heads of all the audience, they'll never see the reflection.  PS: the audience would only be able to see the wraps from the side - not from the back/front of the arrow.

The luminescent paint/glowstix idea might be your best best.  CIR-CUT ARCHERY makes some.

Also, I know Savage Archery makes glow-in-the-dark vanes and nocks, and shrink-tubing.  That might work if you're shooting off an elevated rest.
 http://www.savagearchery.com/store.php?crn=61&rn=301&action=show_detail

Sparklers also might work, but they're certainly "flaming".  But frankly, without "real" flame, I'm not sure the luminescent idea will make people think of the Olympic torch.  :(
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
you can use very small cyalume lightsticks used for night fishing,we tape it to the tip of our rods when fishing ,its 4.5mm x 37mm or around 3/16" x 1 1/2". you can tape four to the tip of the shaft.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »
what gil said! i was thinkin the exact same thing!

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
For luminescence, not flames, buy a tin of luminescent wax from any watchmaker's supply house (or a local watchmaker). Off-white is more easily visible than green.

For temporary fix, just wipe the wax on shaft.

For more durable fix, put the open tin in a pan and put pan on stove burner. Apply heat. Wax will burn off, leaving a powder.

Mix powder with epoxy glue to consistency of heavy grease. Paint shaft and let cure.
I first used this principle to render a police officer's Highway Patrolman's sights visible in the dark -- for one shot. He would hold the revolver near an incandescent light for a few seconds. His sights would remain visible for his shift. Unfortunately, the flash of shot #1 blinds everybody around.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
I'd sure like to know how this turned out.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
What about tying a light, very bright orange and/or yellow silk or other light material scarf to the point end of the arrow?  May affect arrow flight too much, but just might work.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
if you get this to work, you definately need to post pics or a video would be even better   :)
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
i think it's cabela's that sells an arrow wrap/cap dip that is glow-in-the-dark and is charged by holding it under a light for a few seconds. this wrap, plus lumenocks would be pretty. or do like bo and luke duke... instead of dynamite taped to the arrow, use a glow stick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©