3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? The truth do footings stiffen or weaken spine  (Read 472 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
? The truth do footings stiffen or weaken spine
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
I am  referring to carbons with an aluminum footing.
Some on here have told me that they weaken spine because of the added weight up front. But the spine calculator  says it stiffens spine. I was just looking at the arrafoot kit on big Jim's web site and it claims adding a footing will stiffen a shaft allowing you to shoot a heavier head with having to buy a,stiffer shaft.
So which is it?

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? The truth do footings stiffen or weaken spine
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
I'm sure the answer isn't that cut and dry. If the footing is long enough, the harder, heavier, and probably stiffer wood would have a stiffening effect on the leading half of the shaft and a weakening effect on the trailing half.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
I use 1" footings that weigh from 9-11+ grs.I haven't noticed any change.They aren't longer than the insert and weight behind the front of the shaft,so they don't stiffen anything.Couple that with the fact that I use a 1/4" footing on the nock end,may balance things out.Weight on the rear has a stronger influence than weight on the front.The nock end footing is just good insurance.

I didn't always,but these days I know what length I want and foot them before any tuning.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
4" aluminium footings on GT 3555s stiffen them

cheers

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »
Depend the footing lenght,same or shorter than the insert and the arrow become more weak,around 1" more than the insert lenght and this change nothing,more than 2" after the insert end and that start to stiffen the shaft.
All this depend of course wath kind of footing materials that you use.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
Listen to Jim B. Only need for a 4" footing is if you want to stiffen your shaft.
Tom

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I have added up to 6" aluminum footings(2114's) in the hope of stiffening my arrow so I could add more point weight. Didn't work. If I added 60 grs(the weight of the 6" footing),I had to lighten my tip weight the  same amount to keep the same tune. So in my experience, no It doesn't stiffen the arrow.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I use 1" footings on 3555s and find it weakens spine according to the weight of footing itself. Never used longer footings. And I collar the nock end with 1/4" tubing to counter any tuning impact the footing causes. The nock collar also helps reduce splits in glancing hits while stumping.

My experience mirrors JimB's.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
i can't see how 10 or so grains will change anything..... maybe i'm wrong or maybe i'm just not accurate enough to tell.   :dunno:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
It is not the wieght as much as it may be the extra reinforcement to the shaft-it may not bend as much, thus perhaps stiffening it.  I donno as I read this for info.  I, too, collar my nocks and use 2 inches on the tip end for carbons.  done no resarch to add anything useful..

I built one of the internal footing things 3 rivers sells years ago.  i driled down in the cedar to add a bamboo stiffener to keep from having so many boot top breaks.  then I started using large finishing nails to add more FOC.  This topic is of interest to me ...
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
It seems to me, as the length of the footing approaches the length of the arrow it will increase the stiffness. I think the real question is where, in length, will the footing start stiffening the arrow instead of weakening it. Not sure there is anything to be gained by going beyond an inch or two, so it probably isn't worth finding out.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Weight added to the front of an arrow weakens spine. Weight added to the rear, stiffins spine.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I can tell you this, no one shoots well enough to tell the difference in 10 grains on the point end of an arrow, I have done this a long time and 25 grains is about where you can tell a difference and that is tough. I am sorry but that spine calculator is worthless, this is just my opinion so take it for that. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
IMO a footing that is as long as the insert [1-2 inchs ] to the back or slightly longer will affect the spine in no way unless it weights 20-30 + grains and then it may be noticed slightly. If your talking about a footing that is 3+ inchs or more past the insert back then it may start to stiffen the shaft slightly with its added length. I could see a footing 3-6 inches causing a slightly stiffer arrow due to the footing being closer to the point of deflection.
   :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©