3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC 2013 Deer Season  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NC 2013 Deer Season
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I'm already looking towards opening day.

I built a stand last month and put it up. I thought the trail I placed it near was a well used trail.

The stand.

I have more work to do. I'm going to paint it black/gray/green to match the area trees and greenery. It's attached to a Willow Oak.

This is about 15 yards away.

Sorry for the poor pics, but my flip phone still works and I'll keep using it until it poots out.

How 'bout it fellow NCers. What are you doing for the Sept opener?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC 2013 Deer Season
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Looking for a new and better place to hunt deer is what's on my agenda for 2013. The deer in the little patch of woods I have hunted for the past few years have become scarce because coyotes moved in. Smart deer.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:00 AM »
Thats some thick cover you got there! Looks like you have the same problem as me. Deer on the brain with quite a few months to go yet.   :banghead:

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:00 AM »
Bud B.  I like the way you think!  (You too Izzy)!

Already been out picking out ground blind spots on the 400 acres that I hunt in Stokes Co., NC.  The area took a major beating from H. Fever last season, but it looks like the deer herd is rebounding.

Deer season can't get here early enough!!   :pray:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
The land is a 21 acre tract that was clear cut about 11 years ago. The only trees of size they left were along a drain wash from the nearby road (where this stand is located) and a creek that runs on the west edge. There are a few Willow Oaks big enough for tree stands. I built one of wood to prevent theft.  And I wanted to slip in quietly and climb with as little noise as possible. Climbers just make too much noise no matter what.

I placed a mineral block nearby to hopefully help with mineral needs and antler growth. There are two nearby cattle farms that use mineral licks already.

Another reason to want to slip in is this is their bedding area. The whole 21 acres is thick and places are so thick even crawling wouldn't get you through. There's lots of low vegetation and honeysuckle for them to munch on for eats.

If we get a long enough dry spell I'll go back and paint it with some water based paint and thin it enough to make it act more like a stain.

Be careful with ticks and chigger guys and gals. I pulled three deer ticks off me last night...two already attached. Come on winter...I'm not a hot weather person.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Bud,
That looks and sounds like a great set up to hunt. And it sounds like you are thinking of everything. I suppose that you will see many good deer from that stand.
I'm not a hot weather guy either, I know what you mean. Please post photos of the progress as you get it painted and see more deer sign, etc.
joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Revisited today. Removed three ticks so far.

My how a month has changed everything. I climbed the stand and visibility was near zero. I took some pruners, a machete, and my son-in-law and got some shooting holes cut through for the early Sept. season opener. Honeysuckle is in full bloom. Poison Ivy is all over. I'm already looking forward to late November. I hate ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, and hot sweaty days.

Going back tomorrow for a painting session and will not forget the bug spray/permethrin.

I'll try to remember to take the camera.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Looks like a solid stand.  You might try to brush in behind you to break up your outline up in the stand.  Oak branches cut in mid summer will hold their leaves for a couple years.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Send directions to stand and I'll test it out for you   :bigsmyl:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
The willow oak is now in full leaf and back cover is not an issue. After fall leaf drop it may be. And the cutting of leafed oaks is a good idea. I had an oak tree at my house get hit by lightning and it died while fully leafed out. The leaves hung on for two more years after it died.

Headin' back out this morning. I'll take some more pics.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Looks like everyone already is developing bad intentions. Im with ya! As soon as i get this hog hunt out of the way, itl be alll deer mode.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Usually when the first week of August rolls around I start getting excited about deer season.

Me and my son will be putting trail cams out in a few weeks, and all through the summer, to see if we can pick out a few good bucks to hunt hard during bow season. We have access to a lot of different tracts and  hope our trail cam 'homework' before season will pay off for us. Never used trail cams much but looking forward to what they show us.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks Bud. Reminds me I need to get off my butt and get some cameras out. I got 2500 acres to hunt right by myself this year. Made a deal with the land owner that I'd not shoot a buck that I wouldn't have mounted. I shot 3 does last year and had a blast filming and watching small 8's and 6's play. Did see two shooters but no shots. Bow only which is fine with me.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Looks like a great place Bud!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Just got back. Got a few pics to post. But a shower first...

Did I say I hate hot weather?!?!?!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
My tree stand camoing kit...

My $2 yard sale garland to cover the legs of the ladder and sides.

From left to right in this series of pics as viewed from the stand:

Back quiver can be seen on the ground.

Back quiver seen again on left side.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Shooting hole on the right. I took a few shots with the HH Big Five at a 9" foam disc.

Funny thing. I hit the foam with all the shots except one. The one pink fletched arrow I arched my back and bent at the waist like I've heard and read, rather than just draw and shoot like the rest of the arrows, which were done in a leaning body with canted bow. I think I'm gonna go with the natural feel of the Hill style from this stand and not over think it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
I tried some on the left shooting hole too.

The second pic in my first post with the deer tracks is where the foam disc lies for these shots.

First shot low. Second high. All the rest in foam. All while seated and wearing the back quiver. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
How the stand looks now.

I'll cut some oak as Fletcher suggested to broaden and darken the background. This is at about 2:30pm. I think this'll be a good morning and evening stand when shadows are longer and the sun is lower. This is a straight up sun.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Bud I'm gettin a little excited too. Day after  turkey season I hit all my regular hunting buddies and we are all strategizing NOW. This spring has had perfect conditions for acorn growth factoring water supply and temps. Chatham and Lee counties. Two stingray bowhunts then a Catfish/Dove opener before starting deer hunting but we are moving now on plans I already know where they will be during the season,  :)
<><
<------------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©