3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC 2013 Deer Season  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC 2013 Deer Season
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Yeah, you're 2500-3000 feet higher than me. Elevation here is about 700-900. I miss hunting Laurel Springs and Dean Pruitt's dairy farm as it butted up to the Parkway. There was a place we called the "ice box". Just south of Bluff's Coffee Shop there is a rock wall and down in the bottom can be seen a small pond. That place never sees direct sunlight in the heart of winter. The water coming from the rocks formed huge ice hangings and it is a cooooold place come winter. The club was called Elk Knob Hunt Club. Oh the memories. And of Carson Woods, too.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
It was cool this morning walking in work, still no decent bucks on camera. I spend to much time in the woods.  I will set up and let everything calm down for a couple of weeks then  slip into my stands.  I need to take out about 3-4 does. That is my goal.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Mature does are my goal on my father's land. It will be hard to pass on a buck though.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Alright fellas (and ladies too  ;) )!  Only approx. 58 hours 'til I'm heading out to my first NC set for the season.  Something is gonna have an up-close and personal encounter with a very sharp Centaur Battle Axe opening weekend.  I just feel it!!!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Good luck guys.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
we suppose to get a break from the heat after today. I may try it opening morning or not. Got two really decent 8's but they are only out at night. Right many does around. Plenty of bear. Got one sow with 3 cubs. Cute as can be but wish they would just move on. More excited about doves than deer right now.
Cory was here last weekend for a Catfish/dove hunt. Had a blast with my old buddy. good luck to all tarheel bowhunters. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Good luck fellas. Don, I was raised up shooting Doves. Around my Grandads place squirrel and dove were ahead of deer hunting by a bunch.Good eating.RC

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Day and a half too go, this ol boy is giddy
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
In 36 hours I'll either be overlooking a pinch point from the top of a big brushy mound of dirt left over from a pond dig or slippin'/sittin'/glassin' my way across a secluded oak ridge near the edge of a big swamp.

I'm leaning toward that oak ridge but the wind will make the final decision for me. I had two small bucks within 8 steps last year on that ridge...drew and came to anchor on one of them, just to see if I could. They were just young'uns back then, a little spike and a fork horn. They may not get the same courtesy this year..
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Driving home last night and seen a nice buck getting ready to cross the road watching traffic. I had Tonya stop the car and I scared back into the mountain.

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Uncle Sam told me I couldn't play this morning but I'm headed to the woods after duty this afternoon.
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
How is the day going?  Was going to hunt in NC this morning and picked up a bug yesterday.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
The best thing about this NC hunting season is I turned 65 and will get my Lifetime Sportsman license for $15. I hope I live long enough to get my moneys worth!
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
You've heard of the Biltmore Mansion? Today my hunting accommodations were at what I have dubbed "the Kenmore Mansion", an abandoned freezer, probably full of pre-Hurricane Irene groceries, that I happened upon when the wind changed for my previously selected stand. This must have been the redneck "deluxe package" as there was also transportation left behind, an overturned Barbie Jeep. I can say that and get away with it...I'm a redneck.

It was sitting at a killer spot in a pinch point 15 yards off of a creek and the trail of deer tracks going past looked like a cattle path. Making the best of the available cover I quickly piled brush on the top of it, cut shooting holes on either side, and took refuge in an old white plastic lawn chair graciously provided. In a minute's notice I had a great natural blind with an obstruction that would easily let me come to full draw.
I sat there from daylight til 2PM....and saw one box turtle.....
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
I saw one large doe and two very small spotted fawn twins. Nothing else though. Not a bad opening day. I saw three deer total not including the one I almost hit while coming home   :)

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Had a decent opening dag.  At 7:15 a.m. a nice velvet 4pt came into 25 yards but circled and caught my wind.  Didnt spook...just "politely" turned and went back where came from.  Then in the evening I had 3 young coons come and climb right up my gorilla tree sticks to about 5' of me    :biglaugh:   .  When I have time to get into photobucket, ill post the pics of them coming up to chat.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
We killed 3 does at my friend Todd's house yesterday. I passed up a spike, 4pt, and an eight point in the morning. Passed a spike in the afternoon.LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
3 does , that's great., I need to get a handle on my doe population.  Does everywhere, pasture, yard, driveway.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I have seen 3 deer die so far, 2 does and a 9pt, none of which were by my arrows. I was filming. Booo. 1 more night of filming then i will finally get at it!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Dalton, who were you filming.  Jeff, from work is back in town. He scored on a bull elk in Co and was processing it today. I am trying to hold off till it cools off a bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©