3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Batman st judes hunt/ Lady Algebra in the house/ videos pg 6  (Read 1651 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Batman st judes hunt/ Lady Algebra in the house/ videos pg 6
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
I knew that well, Don, and meant to change the slip of the lip (to what I did, now) BEFORE posting it (as Jeff said - eat up with CRS)

OK, looks like it worked (probably the re-sizing is what took so long). Now hold on to yer bonnets, 'cause it's gonna be a long ride (even if I get tired and go to bed in the middle. Draw up your milk stools kiddies , and clean your glasses. Oh yeh, as you saw above, our young Miss Mills not only got her first bird but it was one heck of a nice GOBBLER, I'm here to tell you. Bless her heart, her upbringing and her good-natured dedication. Mills deserves all the cudos and congrats that are available.

Part of the "players" Don Batten, Michael and Woods L.:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0151_zps7db1bc1f.jpg.html]    [/URL]

Another of the "players" and the winner of this St. Jude Hunt, Miss Mills L., looking over some of the "booty" provided by members of Trad Gang, Thurs. afternoon before the first hunt sit/scout:

Woods, Don, and Michael, making plans:

Mills, looking at more goodies (can you blame her?):

Woods, Don, and Michael in the background, my fiddle in the foreground, which Don would later break two strings on, or off - I payed him back though - I punched one of my broad heads through the front of one of his best blinds (snicker-snicker) Damn I felt bad about that:

Mills, still showing her real appreciation for the prizes awarded her as "The Winner":

(More to follow)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Ewwww, I think I'm too tired to continue posting right now friends but will continue tomorrow AM, if not before. Got many more pics, and I hope less fuzz in them. (I can't help it if those guys kept moving - see how still Mills sat?    ;) )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
well this sure is looking like a good story keep it coming uncle Bernie. looks like y'all having fun.   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
:campfire:  

I like the way this is shaing up.

Congrats Miss Mills   :clapper:   what a fine gobbler.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
Continuing the saga of Lady Algebra and her St. Jude Turkey hunt.

In which Mills takes (and gives us) a closer look at some of the winners booty.

Guru's outstanding, and beauteous Wing Bone Call, from the bones of a bearded hen (arguably the best ones to use). Mills picked up the efficient use of this one right away - she even fooled Woods and I, (unknowingly) into thinking a hen was coming up the ravine beside the camp, until she came around the corner sucking Guru's call:

ber643's personalized Wing Bone Call, from Gobbler bones - She had a little more trouble with this larger/longer call but towards the end of the hunt was beginning to play a pretty decent "tune" on it, you go girl:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0158_zps5eee9ac9.jpg.html]   [/URL]

This is a sign I found and sunk a couple of brass hooks in, for "The Winner" to hang her two wing bone calls on - it speaks for itself - and for Mills:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0159_zps95bd0e0d.jpg.html]   [/URL]

Joey's outstanding scratch box call. This is the second one I've personally seen and heard and I love them above any call I've ever seen/heard. Mills was pretty tickled with it as well. I swear the girl is a natural.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0160_zps3ada9ea7.jpg.html]   [/URL]

ber643's self-bow and flannel sleeve - Mills commented, "It's a little long."

Unveiled, Mills changed her observation to, "Boy, this is REALLY long." LOL When I made this bow the style was known as a Holmegard, (and Hurricane Hanna came through NC just as I was final tillering it - so I named her "Hanna Holmi"). Now the research folks have proven they were actually made by a different tribe/colony and are actually rightly called a Mollegabet. It'll make a great wall decoration until Miss Mills grows into it a bit:

(More pics to come)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »

I took this pic and told Bernie that he was dressed up kinda like RC in this one. Only difference was most of the time RC is standing beside something dead. lol

Good job so far Bernie.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5Jok6431pdg

This is a clip of Bernie drawing the winner of this hunt. if you let it run at the end there a little extra footage. I got some more clips from this hunt and the hog hunt that I'll post when I have time to get them up.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Thank you , Don - one of these days, Good Lord willing I'll have something dead beside me again (that I caused to be there, I mean - LOL). Good time to re-post that drawing clip, Don - with so many new members and all - good thinking and nice to see it again.

Don, shows something to Mills and Woods, on his hard drive Camera. What a neat little video cam. Probably showing where they would be going for the evening sit - or showing Turkeys he'd scouted out: (by the way, that is the same camera Trish used to film the Drawing clip above.)

Don and Woods take a better look:

Michael wanted a peek as well:

Don leaving to drive Mills and her Guide/Dad to their blind:

Cory looks over tables (making plans) while Woods practices on his Martin Guitar:

Michael gets ready to prepare first eve's meal. I think either he or I got hungry and ate half of this picture. (No real idea what happened - LOL):

(More pics to come)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
No real luck the first evening except Don saw a bunch of Turkeys (well away from) where he was and got a great video of them that he'll be posting later.

Cory, Michael, and young Woods watch/listen to Don playing Woods Guitar, Michael was preparing our first evening meal - after the hunt:

Here is the scrumptious plate gifted to us each by Michael - fried soft shell Blue Crabs and the fixin's. That salad also really tickled my pallet - fresh torn Spinach leaves, toasted walnuts, tiny pineapple pieces and crumbles of blue cheese (beats the heck out of my favorite Blue Cheese dressing):

At the table, around from the left - Cory (a five star chef) really enjoyed Michaels "table", Don, Mills, Michael, Woods, and my plate - (no fair absconding with it while I'm taking pictures - LOL)

A look at part of the well appointed dinning, trophy, and TV area (hidden in right corner)

Mills doing a loosening up bit, from her gymnastics training - from the first evening sit, and in prep for the coming morning sit:

Don works his Iphone 4 (I tried my darnedest to make off with that dandy little thing - just for the photo capabilities - LOL). Michael observes, from beyond the breakfast bar:

(More pics to come but i may have to break for some needed shopping.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Keep them coming.    :campfire:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Guess I can get another set or two up this AM.

Cory, doing his morning toilet in one of the two facilities located in the bunk room:

Mills with the great Gobbler she got that first morning hunt (others will tell the story of the hunt - I was in another blind and did see two birds - Jakes but neither close enough for a bow shot). I liked this picture because it gives a nice profile shot to show the very respectable length of the Gobbler's beard:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0177_zps176e2337.jpg.html]  [/URL]

Even the Moths were impressed with our young huntress. She found a large, beautiful black one, and then this larger, green one flew right up and lit on her shirt - then stayed there like a ladies' broach:

Mills and proud Dad, Michael, setting up a photo op in the clover, including her first ever turkey and some of her gifts, mostly calls and "her sign" :

The sun was on my viewer and I was having trouble getting the proper range - LOL:

Finally, I got it right to get the "Good Pic" in order to Show off Mills, her fine (I think Don said 40 lb.) bird, and her excellent gifts:

(More pics to come)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Congrats...that is a fine bird!
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
WAY TO GO Lady Algebra!

Nice Tom!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm going to try do my best to get this as right as I can so everyone gets credit for their great support of this trend setting, record breaking hunt offer from Don Batten to help St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Mills, and her self bow (yours truly), and turkey amid her prizes:

Another shot (it's worth it) including gas card from Don Batten and license fees from (now revealed "secret donor") Mike Rizzo:

2 wing bone calls (Guru & ber 643), fantastic paddle call and sheath from Joey, Magnificent Scratch Box Call from Joey:

Well earned Girl Power sign (ber643):

Grizzly Stick shafts and (I think) broadheads From Alaska Bowhunting, and Kanati Quiver from John Dill

A second Kanati Quiver (John Dill) Bowyers Craft book and Tree stand (Don Batten) - and I think/hope that's it except for one more that will appear in another picture (a neat pink camo jacket from Mike Rizzo)

If I've forgotten (or mixed up) anyone, other than those who bought tickets for other deserving members (like Doc Nock, Mike Rizzo, and I did), please forgive me and help me out here - LOL

(Still lots more pics to come - time for lunch and nappy-poo)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

Joey surprised me with a long box of my own. The bottom is made from a pc of cypress that I sent him some time back

The top of cedar from ms. My name and a very nice discription of the call is penned on the lid. Thanks buddy

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Outstanding !!!RC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Yep, Don, Joey certainly made those calls sweet. The descriptive inscriptions are really neat, and are history right on the wood.

Here we go again-

Around on back of the table for a better look at the nice tree stand that Don put up for the winner:

Don 's solid follow through:

Don at full Draw:

Woods at full Draw

Time to clean Mills Big Bird - Don, Cory, Mills (still practicing on the Guru made Wing Bone Call), Michael:

Take a wing (or two - more wing bone calls - LOL) - Don, Michael, Mills, Cory:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Mills with her hard earned beard - and her pretty much ever-present, genuine smile:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0194_zps16da0128.jpg.html] [/URL]

When Mills asked Don what they were going to do now, he told her, "We're gonna pluck him," and she quickly said, "Can I help?" He told her she sure could, and promptly got her a pair of rubber gloves:

Doin' it to it!:

Mills got right down into it, as she does every part of her hunting experiences. The girl's a pistol:

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ber643/media/StJudeTurkeyHunt2013/100_0197_zps3c0fad29.jpg.html] [/URL]

Getting close to the Nitty-Gritty now:

At this point Woods offered to take my camera up on the top of the cleaning table and get me/us some areal photos:

(more pics yet)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
This thread is priceless!

Great job to all that put this together.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©