3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RER XR - first impressions  (Read 535 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
RER XR - first impressions
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
After reading so many good reports on the RER bows, I gave Kevin a call and talked to him for a while one night.  He told me about a couple of lefties he had in stock and I bit on one.

I picked it up from the post office today.  Wow!  I had been just a bit leery of the woods when I ordered.  It was Grenadillo and camo actionwood.  But man, I love the way it looks.  The camo actionwood is carried to the veneers where it was quarter sawn.  It really is stunning.

Specs are 62" and 54#@28"

A couple of members had urged me to post photos up of the bow.  I took a few quick ones.  Hopefully will get a few more when the rain quits coming down in buckets.

I just finished shooting it a few times indoors (I think someone missed the monsoon forecast here in Virginia...LOL).
All the talk about the RER's being very quiet with only a set of string silencers is true with this bow also.  It is very quiet.  No handshock and it is smoking the heavy arrows I've shot with it so far.
I'll follow up on this later this weekend after I spend some more time with it.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RER XR - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
An XR and a Rinehart Rhinoblock...life is good man...suppose I should start looking for a lefty to go with my right handed LXR...the LXR has the 62 inch recurve and 64 inch longbow limbs...bet pretty soon you are gonna start thinking you need a set of longbow limbs for yours...gonna chronograph mine soon and I have a feeling the longbow limbs may actually be faster than the curves...the nice thing is that if you buy a set of 62 inch longbow limbs they will use the same length string as your static tips...I have been shooting mine for about a year now...I shoot it sparingly because it kind of spoils me for shooting anything else...your initial impression is correct and will never go away

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Wow, that is one good looking bow! Congrats and some dandy shooting.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Those bows just want to disappear into the background...that is the toughest bow that I own to take photos of...meaning that it is a hunter's bow first and foremost...the fact it is pretty takes a back seat to the fact it is effective...I gave up photographing mine because photos just cannot capture the true nature of the bow and do it justice

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I have an LXR on order and Kevin told me he had some nice Grenadillo on hand. I ultimately went with a nice piece of cocobolo he had, but I have to say that is a very pleasing combination and I'll bet it just about disappears in the woods. Don't set that thing down anywhere - it'll be lost forever.

Sure seems to work well for you.

I have yet to shoot an RER that wasn't a real pleasure to shoot. So far, my Retro is my favorite. I just wish it was 3 - 4 pounds lighter. Unfortunately, it was cut pretty "close to the bone" when Kevin built it originally (the limbs are REALLY slim) and Kevin said 2-3 pound weight reduction would be max. Hardly worth the cost of refinishing. Oh well, cowboy up and quit complaining I guess. Bet yours is going to remain a favorite.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
I have a XR, very nice bow. Great choice!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
so glad I have a Retro on order. thanks for sharing your pics. that thing is cool looking.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
My son, Luke, has a beautiful RER Vortex II with juniper veneers that is a very fine shooter.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I need to decide next week

:scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Wow! What a great looking bow. As far as shooting,RER bows are hard to beat. I believe the word is getting out on the quality and shootability of Kevin's bows. I have not seen a camo version until this one and you chose very well. I bet you will be reporting many pos things on this one.
see

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Kevin builds a nice bow that is fast to boot!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
that is a great looking bow...I like that a lot...might have to look into one
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
If you think carefully about it Kevin is incapable of building a bow that does not look appealing...and they shoot great...there is no such thing as a wrong choice when it comes to RER

DDave

Originally posted by Gator1:

I need to decide next week

:scared:      :scared:      :scared:  

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
i
I consider myself fortuate to live in WI and to have met Kevin early. He's going to be getting real busy.
Have a bocote LX and a Chechan/black diamondwood/black glass XR. Both look and SHOOT sweet.
If I was smart...I would just quit looking at other bows, but what fun is that?
Just ordered a Bubinga/red stripe Bear takedown from Big Jim. Supposed to be a good shooter too.
Irv Eichorst

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
Beautiful bow! Congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 05:17:00 AM »
Sweet bow, Ken!

Good luck on the Thunder Chickens!

I'm glad that you're a left hander - it greatly minimizes the chances of me buying a buy from you    :pray:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by beaunaro:
i
I consider myself fortuate to live in WI and to have met Kevin early. He's going to be getting real busy.
Have a bocote LX and a Chechan/black diamondwood/black glass XR. Both look and SHOOT sweet.
If I was smart...I would just quit looking at other bows, but what fun is that?
Just ordered a Bubinga/red stripe Bear takedown from Big Jim. Supposed to be a good shooter too.
What you have there is an LXR with an extra riser...if we ever get rid of the snow around here I am going to do some serious chronograph work with my LXR...the limbs are both the same draw weight and I think my longbow limbs are every bit as fast, or maybe faster, than my recurve limbs...what is your impression?

DDave

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
DDave,
I first bought the longbow and based on the few other trad bows I had shot up till then, I loved it and still do.
The grip fits me really well, the bow doesn't stack at all and I think for my 52# weight at 28...(my draw is 27") it slings an arrow with pretty good authority.
I never chronoed it.
Both my RERs are something I will probably die with.
The grandkids will know their value and keep shooting them.
Can't say enough good about them. Great workmanship and really nice family.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:00 AM »
Got to put my hands on this bow yesterday, and, wow, the pictures don't do it justice!!

Fast and quiet!

Only problem is the cut-out is on the wrong side    :p   !!

Nice bow, Ken!!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
I fiinally decided on #2,

Another XR Curve, 58" to go with my Fancy 60"r .

This ones gonna be:
Charcoal Dymond Wood Riser
Black Glass Limbs
Tempered boo core
Hour Glass Boo Stripes.  A hunting machine.

June can't come quick enough....

:archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©