3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Hawks effectiveness as a hunters self defense  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Hawks effectiveness as a hunters self defense
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesJamison:
[QB] Just hope they don't find any human skeletal remains near the bear skull.  

If they did would they smell of pepper & have little bells nearby?   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Going to try my hand at browning that ax tonight. I have never done this so I hope she turns out good.

God bless, Steve

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
I just got done browning a flintlock.  Gets some laurel mountain forge browning solution. It will come out perfect!
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I love my trappers companion.  It is a do-it-all camp tool, and a damn fine fighting hawk in a pinch......
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Very cool skull.  I am sure the story behind it is a great one.

I am an axe person.  If I am out, I usually have an axe or hawk with me.  It is just one of my favorite tools.  Even when I pack light, I can find room for a Shrew hawk.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Sixby
It's been a long time since I.ve thrown a hawk, but I seem to remember finding just the right distance to allow it to turn so the edge hits the target.
Try about 10 paces to start.   :archer2:

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Carry my Cold Steel Woodsman's Hawk and a large custom bowie when I'm in the woods. Not many bears in my area but there are a bunch of pigs. Opening day of turkey season I cam across a group of 15-20 in the twilight, never could get close enough and didn't have an "authorized" weapon to discuss on here any way.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
You guys are going to get me to thinking about another "hawk".   :help:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Good story Ron. You'd have to wonder how it all worked out.

With hawks or knives it would seem wise to have two, with one to throw and the other one as the last line of defense.

Wouldn't hawks make great home invasion defense weapons, especially if you had two or more? With someone armed and breaking through a door or window, I'd give the edge to the homeowner, if he had more than one hawk, was proficient with them, and acted first.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
That's a good idea Don, maybe I should offer a "Home Defense Pack", Two or three hawks and a knife along with throwing instructions...      :readit:  

:goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Ron , You are better with that hawk than I am with a pistol. Have you ever hunted with it?
God bless, Steve

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
That would be a great combination, three hawks and a knife. Now all that's needed is a bag/sheath to put them in, a "Home Defense Pack Bag".

I was only half kidding about home defense. If you don't like guns, then the choices are narrowed to bow and arrows, clubs, or cutting tools like hawks and knives. I would rather be the guy with two hawks inside the house than the guy breaking in with a gun...,that is if I get to fire first.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Have you ever hunted with it?
Not with the hawk but I did carry my throwing knife as a backup on a hog hunt once. I threw the knife into him after I had already put two arrows into him.   :scared:

I was the Michigan State Champion with both knife and Hawk in 1980 and 81, and I won National Championship at Friendship with the a knife in 1980. The knife I used was hand forged to my specifications, a real heavy duty weapon. I still have it but I don't carry it anymore. My Blacksmith C.L. Matteo an I have talked about bringing out a smaller version of my old throwin knife.

This is it on the bottom, forged from an old buggy spring with steel bolsters and moose horn slabs. I weighs almost two pounds

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
That's a good idea Don, maybe I should offer a "Home Defense Pack", Two or three hawks and a knife along with throwing instructions...       :readit:    

:readit:    :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Sixby,

dont worry...but that price is not that bad compared to some of the other high quality working axes/hawks out there of any quality....just slightly more.  If I had my father in laws hammer I would consider it actually....he had it for 40 years and passed few years ago.  I think wife would like it if I did that....

great hawk though.....post pics after you put the new finish on it.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
I have the browning done. Came out passable. No pics yet though. When I get some I will put them up; I'm feeling the need to make a maple handle for it now , although the Hickory one is probably tougher. That handle of Rons is awsome.; The Roman throwing Sword is too. LOl
You got to have an arm to pick that thing up much less throw it.

God bless, Steve

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Killie, that picture reminds me of a friend's somewhat remote cabin in Alaska.  He has a life size grizzly mounted standing with open mouth and looking none too happy, right in front of a large living room window.  One day a grizzly was marauding around outside, took one look in the window at a much larger bear "inside" the house and high tailed it out of there.      :biglaugh:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Oh sure throw the Hawk   :scared:  at the BEAR now what do you have left???  A pissed  :mad:   off bear and an empty   :banghead:  hand. Ever watch the movie "The Edge"  :deadhorse:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
David, you may be on to something there. If they ever get the guns then they will want to go after the bows, arrows, hawks and knives. Most of us have a bow or two, maybe it's now time to start collecting a few hawks and knives for when things get tough.

:jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©