3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey blind for longbows  (Read 464 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey blind for longbows
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I had settled on a Hidden Hunter blind,but never got a response from the dealer I contacted about buying one.While I was looking around for another dealer I ran across Barronett's "Big Mike" blind.I decided to try it and it arrived in the mail yesterday. Great blind for a longbow shooter! About 60X60X80" tall. I've got plenty of clearance with a 70" longbow while I'm sitting in a chair. Best part was at about a third of the price of a HH,I had enough for a fancy new decoy,broadheads and my tags with money to spare.   :thumbsup:

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey blind for longbows
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
I have been checking out options, and I  am about to drop the string on a Big Mike snake eye in the next couple days.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
I can shoot my 62" longbow out of my Ameristep Roundhouse blind. It is a 6 sided blind and around 6' in height with shoot through windows. Somewhat bulky to haul around but very comfortable. I'm not sure they even make them anymore but you might be able to find one on the auction sight.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Don't know what your connection is, xtrema312.  I couldn't find the large size snake eyes anywhere.  Still using my wife's 350 grounder from Baronett.  Plenty of room, but the windows are high.  I put my chair legs on pieces of treated 6x6 and it works fine.  Not great for moving to a different location, though.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
don't waste your money on a hidden hunter.  I had one. I would not dare to take it out in the woods. I think it would damage easily. rip, tear, bend.  Junk in my opinion. They have a fancy video that is filmed in NON HUNTING CONDITIONS. I think the thing would flap in the mildest of winds. Save your money!!!

justin
Hill

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Have the baronet big mike.  Good blind, plenty of room, great price.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
If you had any kind of a blind up for the first days of the Iowa season, the snow would have it flat by now.  A blind without a top would be my preference. that sitting in a dark dog house just isn't any fun more me.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
If you had any kind of a blind up for the first days of the Iowa season, the snow would have it flat by now.  A blind without a top would be my preference. that sitting in a dark dog house just isn't any fun more me.
I normaly use just a piece of material zip tied to some brush and brush it in with some clippings.You can see ALOT more around you that way,but have to be VERY still when the birds come in. I'm taking my 9 year old daughter with me this year and I know she's going to be so excited when the birds show that there's not much of a chance of "Very still" happening! LOL!  :D    :D    :D

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
DB Darkhorse gets my vote, although I don't think they make that model anymore and I've heard the new ones are complete junk. I shoot 60"-62" Longbows Sitting or kneeling on one knee with no issues what so ever.

Steve

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Justin Falon:
don't waste your money on a hidden hunter.  I had one. I would not dare to take it out in the woods. I think it would damage easily. rip, tear, bend.  Junk in my opinion. They have a fancy video that is filmed in NON HUNTING CONDITIONS. I think the thing would flap in the mildest of winds. Save your money!!!

justin
I'm still not sold on those ground rods in the HH blind anyway. I'm sure they're not in the way in a perfectly flat grass pasture,but cant see them working too hot on uneven ground.The price on them seems to be pretty high compared to other blinds. I was willing to pay for one just because they are made in the USA,but you're not the first person to tell me pretty much the same thing.For as much as I'll use it,I think I'll stick with the "Big Mike"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Justin, do you own stock in another company?     :readit:
 http://www.shrewbows.com/hiddenhunterblinds/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I have two double bulls(the older ones before they sold out to Primos)and absolutely love them. I have their standard model as well as the "longbow" model. I shoot my 68" longbow out it with no problem what so ever. I've seen the HH blinds and don't care for them, wouldn't use em, wouldn't buy one and I can guarantee my double bulls go up faster, blend in better and are much more user friendly. I've never seen a Big Mikes in person but they look like a nice blind as well just have no experience with them.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
I've seen the HH blinds and don't care for them, wouldn't use em, wouldn't buy one
An opinion based on "seeing" the blind but never having used one? ... why of coarse, makes sense to me...   :rolleyes: ...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline TNtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I have one of the Hidden Hunters and I love it!  If you dont use the tie strings the material will move a little....but I always just tie mine off. I mean it literally takes all of 30 seconds to set this blind up. I can shoot my longbows and recurves out of mine with no problems whatsoever. Its also very light. To transport mine I just slide the metal bottom bars on the back of my waldrop pacseat between the straps and walk on. NO problems here with mine.
Shrew Model T Carbon 64" 50@28
Hoyt Dorado 50@28
"Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah."  Psalm 55:7

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Another vote for the DB Dark Horse Recurve blind.

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
No Ron not "seen" as in a catalog. As in person. I've sat in, set up, looked at, everything but shot an arrow out of one of them and I don't like them. My vote is for the double bull blinds and again in my opinion I think they are a superior product. I have only "seen" the Big Mike blinds on line so as far as those I can not make a comment.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I tried the Barronette Grounder 350 this year. It's roomy and 80" tall. But, the windows are higher. And, they open from the top down. So, if you close them up a bit, the windows get higher. Well made and roomy, but I prefer smaller, more adjustable windows.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
I've hunted out of the DB a lot. I have the Dark Horse given to me by my good friend Keith Beam. It is a very strong, reliable, easy set-up and take down, no flap, no shine, heavy duty material, roomy, weatherproof, all around very good blind. No problem shooting my recurve. It doesn't have brush loops on the outside, my only complaint. The camo pattern works well, it doesn't get cut up by brush, it's quiet. Why would you want a lesser quality?  Did I mention the lifetime warrsanty on all parts except the fabric?
I've seen guys complain about this blind, but usually it's the lack of set-up...take-down knowledge or the fact that they left it outside for several years.
All that being said...this HH blind, I would like to compare. It looks to be similar to Luckys Blind Co. I have not seen  nor used either, but would want to test them out side by side. It's possible it might be a great competitor to the DB Dark Horse, or double wide.
Personally, I would not purchase the Primos Blind Luck or Club models, yet.
I would like user opinions on the HH blind, in particular the thickness/toughness of the fabric, the flap or no- flap wind issues, and the shine/no shine of the fabric.
I don't care about shoot thru mesh...we do not use it... ever.
What about room for two turkey hunters, all their gear and a video cam set up??
Comments please, as I am looking to buy a
couple more blinds for our outfitting business.
Thank you.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
A client had a Hidden Hunter blind in camp this past weekend. Great, unique design, well made, fabric is high quality. By far the fastest set-up of any blind I've tried.
The woodland camo blended perfectly here in Florida, never seen a better pattern for here. Something about the domed shape (with no corners)also helps it blend in.
I've used a lot of differnet blinds and that is the best one I've yet seen.
No blind goes up faster, (we have DB's and Barronets,too)I can put two of these up before Will Primos can put one Double Bull.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
The Ameristep Penthouse is also a good option, although not the quality of either the DB or Hidden Hunter.
The Double Bulls are excellent quality all the way around. I agree that the Hidden Hunters are a little pricey but trust me, no blind sets up faster(or even close), blends in better(no hard edges or un-natural corners like the DB).I don't see how the ground wires would be an issue unless you plan on taking a nap on the ground in one,lol.One other advantage is there's really nothing to break(which happens a lot with hub style blinds).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©