3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best type of wood for arrows?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best type of wood for arrows?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
yes please tell..   :bigsmyl:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
The short explanation:  A tapered board about 2x4 size was compressed under heat and pressure to a parallel board.  After a rest, the board was cut into squares and dowelled into shafts.  By starting with a tapered board, the finished shafts had a built in weight forward effect.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
That's good thinking there.
I love that idea.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Where is a good place to buy good sitka spruce arrows?Anyone tried Bearpaw German spruce shafts?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Douglas Fir from Surewood love em.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:
Where is a good place to buy good sitka spruce arrows?Anyone tried Bearpaw German spruce shafts?
haven't tried bearpaw.

Hildebrands have been good spruce for me and the people are great.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
Thanks Zradix.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
np
   :thumbsup:

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks Fletcher for the great explanation. You are correct that the tapered board gave you automatic weight forward, but my understanding was that Bill was more concerned about strengthening the shaft right behind the point, where many arrows tend to break. I doubt if weigh forward was much of an issue back then, but maybe someone knows more than me about that me.
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Only woods I've ever messed with are Surewood Doug Fir and they've been awesome. Straight to start and straighten easily. Look great, they're available in a nivce range of mass weight and spine. They're tough ... I've shot mine into trees repeatedly ... not that I recommend it.

Also Surewood is great to deal with. I bought 100, they were a great deal ... make/get a spine tester and a grain scale and make some arrows boys ...

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
As you may know I sell the Doug Fir shaft, but it's hard to beat any good wood shaft whether it is POC, Spruce or Fir.  There is something "Sweet" about shooting good wood arrows.  It's part of the "Romance of Archery" that you just don't get with high tech.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Bob, you are probably right about the point strength aspect.  I've seen samples of Forgewoods where Mr. Sweetland would drive pieces of shafts into wood like a nail.  They are/were great shafts.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Rick, Absolutely right...as a young archer I saw demonstrations where Bill would shoot a completely blunt ended forgewood shaft through a piece of plywood (3/8" thick, I think.)By the way, as a young boy, I remember going over to Bill,s shop to look around and I remember boxes and boxes of those beautiful compressed cedar arrows lined up along the walls everywhere. At the time they were way to exspensive for me to even think about buying(probably around $25.00/ dz.)Anyone out there have a dozen or two lying around... I'll give you twice that much, no problem.

Surewood Bob
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I shot Forgewoods for years and would still be shooting them if they were still around. My next favorite for years was Barrel tapered ash from Silent Pond Shafts...but Mike went out of business.

I finally decided on Surewood shafts and Surewood Bob did me right. These Doug Fir are one of the finest shafts I have seen in years and I just finished sealing and crown dipping them. Next week we crest and fletch. Highly recommend Surewood shafts from Bob.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I agree Joe. Surewoods are the best on the market today. If I have some 23/64"s I like to put a 4" front taper to 11/32" and a 10" back taper to 5/16". I call it the "Wilderness taper". They fly great! All my own personal arrows that are 11/32" have a 10" back taper down to 5/16"...and they are Surewood's.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
After reading this thread I looked up forgewoods.
Now it looks like they are being made by Alaska Frontier Archery now.
They are making them out of Mountain Hemlock.
I see the business is for sale, but the website looks as though they are still making them.

Anyone try these?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
That info is old. Steve Tanner has the equipment for sale and has for years. The real problem is the lack of quality Port Orford cedar. POC has a substance that acts as a glue when put under pressure and heat. Hemlock, as well as all other woods, does not have this naturally occurring substance in a large enough proportion to make it a good option.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Oh.
Thanks for the info Snag.
Jees..their website looks like a current company.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Surewood Bob:
Rick, Absolutely right...as a young archer I saw demonstrations where Bill would shoot a completely blunt ended forgewood shaft through a piece of plywood (3/8" thick, I think.)By the way, as a young boy, I remember going over to Bill,s shop to look around and I remember boxes and boxes of those beautiful compressed cedar arrows lined up along the walls everywhere. At the time they were way to exspensive for me to even think about buying(probably around $25.00/ dz.)Anyone out there have a dozen or two lying around... I'll give you twice that much, no problem.

Surewood Bob
I have a couple dozen that were gifted to me a few years ago.  Light in spine, and I have no plans to ever make them into arrows, just keep them in my "stash".     :thumbsup:

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
I've got a dozen 80/85's that I've made into arrows. My 56#@28" Blacktail recurve really likes them with 160gr points. Coming in at 750grs the tradgetory is a bit different than my other arrows. But they hit with authority.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©