3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Being checked while stumping  (Read 1036 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Being checked while stumping
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Has anyone ever been checked by a conservation officer while stump shooting. I was wondering today how I would explain it to an officer who maybe does not shoot traditional archery.   Especially if he sees me entering the woods with a bow and a quiver full of arrows. So I am just wondering if anyone has been checked and how it went.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Being checked while stumping
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Don't carry any broadheads if you are not doing any hunting. If you are varmit hunting, just make sure you have your hunting license. Never had any issues here in Oregon.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I've never been checked, but I always make sure I have a small game license and know the rules for the area and what is in season (something is always open year 'round)...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
If you don't have any game on you, there's nothing they can cite you for as far as I know.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I have seen this type of thing posted before.  Not sure I understand the concern.  There is nothing illegal about carrying a knife, broadheads, or a gun. Using such tools illegally is the issue.  I would not worry about it. The CO is not the judge.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
In NY if you have a small game lic. You can be hunting red squirls , porque pine or groundhogs there is no season. Just find out what you have in your area with an open season. Then happen to miss a lot and hit stumps   :archer2:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
yeh' never thought much about it.... there is always something legal and on the hit list.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I have seen this type of thing posted before.  Not sure I understand the concern.  There is nothing illegal about carrying a knife, broadheads, or a gun. Using such tools illegally is the issue.  I would not worry about it. The CO is not the judge.
Its a  legitimate concern in some states it is illegal to target pratice on public land so that may not work if stumping on public land.

COs have more authority than state police. They don't need warrants and while they may not be a Judge unlike troopers a Judge can't reduce a charge made by a CO. Don't fool around with them. As I posted just find what has an open season in your area and let that be your reply. Don't make life hard on yourself.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline IslandYJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and CO's are not the problem here. Most CO's I've dealt with are sympathetic to archers and don't care if your out practicing, I've even had one give me directions to a better spot. Here logging companies have rights to huge sections of land and they like to restrict access by putting up gates. Even charging tolls to get through the gates between certain hours! I belong to a local jeep club and gates are always an issue, then after you get into the back country they have private security roaming around who'll boot you as soon as they see you. I had one who made me drive 20 miles on a nearly flat tire when I could have gone less than 1 mile to a gas station around a gate. Caught me as I was pulling my spare off the back and wouldn't even let me finish changing it, @^#hole.
------------------------------
Bucky's Custom Recurve 68"-50#
Les Dunsdon Longbow 66"-46#

"If you always do what you did, you'll always get what you got"

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
I'd have made him wait!!!

Offline IslandYJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Pretty sure I got the last laugh anyway. I had already stopped the leak in tire and only wanted to change it since after getting out of the trail the roadas better and I could go faster, but since I only had 5 or so lbs in I took it slow. Longest 20 miles he's ever had I bet!!
------------------------------
Bucky's Custom Recurve 68"-50#
Les Dunsdon Longbow 66"-46#

"If you always do what you did, you'll always get what you got"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Have to be real careful to almost impossible in my area. Almost any action can be interpreted as pressuring animals which translates to hunting. We have a ton of anti hunters in southern NY that would be quick to make a call on you. It's far easier to just go to the local 3D range.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
Yes sir. Been checked here in Michigan. You must have some type of valid hunting license to shoot " where game is present". Had to talk my way out of a ticket.
Tom

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
if you are going to use the small game angle--remember that most states require broadheads with cutting edges so be sure to have one in your quiver
Mike

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
I live in Northern Mi I have 600 acres of state land behind my house, my wife and I stump all the time have never had any issues! LimbLover was up over the weekend stumped all day Saturday afternoon! usually have my small game license all the same!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
I have never been stopped while stump shooting.  But, Longstick is correct.  In NY, hunting is defined as:

To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or
capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes
all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife
whether or not they result in taking.

So, walking through the woods with bow and a quiver of arrows could possibly disturb or worry wildlife, which according to NY means hunting.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Been check and was not an issue.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I think it depends entirely on the CO who may check you.  They have lots of discretion as to how they respond.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Here in NJ it's considered target shooting and is illegal on public land.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by ronp:
I have never been stopped while stump shooting.  But, Longstick is correct.  In NY, hunting is defined as:

To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or
capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes
all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife
whether or not they result in taking.

So, walking through the woods with bow and a quiver of arrows could possibly disturb or worry wildlife, which according to NY means hunting.
I don't mean any harm, but the more I read about the junk you guys in New York have to deal with the more thankful I am that I live in Kentucky.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©