3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Being checked while stumping  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Being checked while stumping
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
It's spring gobbler season around here and I don't know if I could convince a CO I was just shoot'n at stumps or not.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
No harm, Austin.  We do have to put up with a lot of junk here in NY.  Sometimes I wonder why I live here.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
We are heading for the woods in about an hour to chase stumps.  If we get checked, it will just be a whole bunch of yes sirs and no sirs, and we will try to explain what were're doing.  The COs I have met have all been very professional.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
In Michigan it would technically be called target shooting on public land and, therefor, illegal. CO's are human like the rest of us. I've met quite a few and have never had a problem.

I was doing some fishing in Ontario, Canada while on a bear hunt with my two sons. We were approached by two COs who asked us if we had a permit to fish that particular water. We showed them our Ontario fishing license and they explained that the particular water we were fishing required a special permit. They had chatted with us a bit before telling us we were violating the law and when we told them we didn't realize we were, they let us leave with no ticket. They even recommended a nearby lake where no special permit was required.

There are many animals in season here year-round and I always buy a small game license each year. The few times I've been approached by a CO when I was out with a bow or .22 handgun we chatted a bit about being out in the woods and how relaxing it was. They would ask to see my small game license and say "have a nice day".

I suspect if I started out with "I'm not hunting anything and you can't stop me from walking in the woods with my bow" it would turn out that he had been watching me shooting pine cones or stumps or some other target, and I would get a lecture about target shooting being illegal, followed by a ticket when I reacted negatively. Personally, I like seeing them out doing their jobs. There's a huge amount of poaching that goes on that I appreciate them trying to control.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
GWs think you're guilty of something as soon as you pull out of your driveway. Their arrogance and authority far exceeds their intelligence, in this state.  :p

I always carry my hunting license, period. I know and abide by the laws and expect no less from any LEO that's stopping me...for any reason. Again, in this state, GWs make their money from violations and that's what they're looking for during any stoppage.

I can give too many accounts of having to quote the law to a GW to get him/her to realize who they're dealing with and where their authority stops. Know the laws and be prepared!  :thumbsup:

Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Our local C.O. is more worried about writing You a seat belt violation than he is about enforcing Conservation laws. It says " Seat Belt Enforcement Unit " across his tailgate.

That being said it is legal to hunt Rabbits and Coyotes year round here. Not like they could keep You out of the woods with Broadheads if they wanted to.

bretto

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
I just carry my license.  I have never been checked but figure I will be covered in any scenario as long as I wasnt breaking any other laws.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Yup Charlie, we just try to obey the laws and be respectful.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
In Indiana there is times when nothing is in season. The months of May, June, July.  I would for sure have a license.  I just wanted want any issues.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Ron : All you have to do is show him your 60+ yd shot and he will be so impressed you will go free.   :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
in the past i always carried my bow on summer scouting trips,to stump shoot, but regulations have changed alot here and you can no longer target practice on public land nor can you carry a hunting weapon out of season, I pretty well just quit carrying my bow and stumping in general due to this. The recently opened squirrel season to 10 months or so, maybe I can just "squirrel hunt" now..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Went stumping last weekend, bought a 2013 small game license. Wood chucks and red squirrels are open all year. I have never been checked by a C.O. while hunting or fishing but there is always a first time. I would not tell the C.O that I was target practicing or stump shooting. I would tell him that I was scouting and hunting wood chucks.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
You guys up in NY have got some JACKED UP LAWS... Do they have a wildlife psychologist to console the animals after hunting season???LOL

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by motorhead7963:
You guys up in NY have got some JACKED UP LAWS... Do they have a wildlife psychologist to console the animals after hunting season???LOL
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
If your state is like mine you can kill starlings in any number with any method year round. We just need a small game tag unless you are a land owner. Have missed 4 so far. Seems to be an exercise in futility but fun no less. Hate those nasty critters.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Coming from a guy from CA that is funny.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Here in NH you could be considered to be hunting so you need a hunting license in your pocket to CYA. Before Laura got her license she was unable to stump shoot legally.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
Yes, got checked in Washington after shooting on some county owned land.  It was apparently considered a park, therefore shooting was illegal.  Luckily the Deputy didn't see me actually shooting otherwise I would have received a citation for "launching a missile" in a county park.  I made him actually look up and show me in writing the rule as it wasn't posted anywhere at the "park"!  If you're shooting on State or Federal land, you most likely will need a hunting license and a species open for hunting.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:

Coming from a guy from CA that is funny. [/b]
I am enjoying the irony here...  ;)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Finding a warden in Florida would be like the odds of winning the lottery. There are basically 3 assigned to a county. You would probably stand a better chance of being checked by a skunk ape than a game warden here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©