3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which do you prefer straight or reflex/deflex  (Read 1572 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which do you prefer straight or reflex/deflex
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I really prefer what I would call a semi-aggressive deflex/reflex longbow like the Tomahawk Diamond series or Black Widow's PL's. The have absolutely no handshock, smooth as silk draws, really good arrow speed, and are beautiful bows on top of all that.
James Kerr

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I have wanted a tomahawk thunderstorm for a long time they have gotten a little too spendy   :eek:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Some degree of r/d, for me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I like r/d bows because they don't hurt my elbow. Hill bows do. But if you plan to build your own there is nothing easier than building a Hill bow. You can literally use a straight 2x6 for a form and a couple bicycle inner tubes for lam pressure. They are way easier to tiller than board bows or self bows. I think they have a ton of nostalgia as well. And that's pretty important to trad archery in general. I am about to build a couple just cause they are cool. I also like the challenge of building a straight limbed bow without hand shock.

Bonner

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
There's not much difference between a straight Hill style bow and a mild r/'d bow.  Both string up into a D shape, both typically have rather straight grips, most times their arrow shelves will be cut proud of center, and there won't be much difference in performance between them.  Now, if you go to a radical r/d, like an ACS, for example, there's a huge difference. Pistol grip if you want it, cut 3/16 past center, and performance that equals or passes many recurves.  I have all three designs and like shooting all of them.  As others have suggested, try a few bows in the designs in which you are interested to determine which you like best. Good luck.

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Check out a Newwood longbow. The Legacy model is a slight R/D but strings in a D shape. These are exceptional bows custom oredered for $419.00. I own a tricked out Legacy and love it. Mine is a 66" 46# @27" and if you didn't know the weight of the bow, based on arrow speed you would think that it were at least a 50# bow. Very fast but suuuuuper smooth and no handshock. The Legacy gives you the best of both worlds at a bargain price. Check Chris Hartwig out at newwoodbows.com.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Warchild.
Thanks for the tip I checked them out they are nice. I liked the look of the legacy. There are some nice bows being made and I'm happy to see that a I can find I truly made custom longbow for around  $400 and up.
So are your limbs the same wood as the riser? i did not see what Chris uses for his limbs. In the pics II did not see any black glass. Just wood (veneer?)
How long did it take to get your bow from the time you ordered to the time you received it?

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
I have wanted a tomahawk thunderstorm for a long time they have gotten a little too spendy    :eek:  
They are a higher priced bow but in my opinion they are definitely worth the money. They shoot incredibly well. I have owned both the diamond series (still with me and ain't going nowhere) and legacy series. They both shot incredibly well the 3 piece takedown system on a longbow just isn't for me. Believe me though it was a fast, smooth, and gorgeous bow. On top off all that Dale and the fine folks at 3rivers go out of their way with their top notch customer service.
James Kerr

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
"I suppose you could sharpen the straight bow on the end and use it for a spear....."

That's FUNNY!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Honestly I slightly prefer the shooting characteristics of a well made r/d like a Fred Anderson Skookum or Gus D Longriver, but that said there is just something magical about the simplicity and gracefulness of straight end bows to me.  If I had to go to just one bow, it would be some iteration of a Hill I think.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
I am looking for some help at buying a new long bow. I currently shoot a recurve . I read an article by Joe Blake on the best of both worlds so off that I am leaning to the r/d. But a lot do you guys prefer the straight or D
Which style do you prefer and why please include pros and cons of both ? And which do you think would be best for me to try?
Thank you.
Tim.
For me hybrid longbows are it!

Reasons: smooth, fast, silent, quiet, no chance on limb twists.

Mostly they have a comfortable grip and are cut close to center or even over it, making the bow very spine tolerant.

For me they represent the best out of two worlds.

They come in one pce and 3 pce. 3pc comes in  very handy when you travel a lot or prefer a heigher mass.

Further: what Kirk said, times 2!    :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I think its a personell choice.Some are gonna like R&Ds more.

Some archers/bowhunters shoot straighter limbs bows better and prefer them.They do have a nostolgic and romantic quality that gets into many archers blood.I can understand that.

I have owned many mild R&Ds and many moderate to radical R&Ds.They are great bows and a superb design.Some models can be kinda twitchy and demand better shot execution by the archer IMO.

I currantly shoot an Edge by Liberty,a Skookem Special by Fred Anderson and a whippenstick.All are great bows.These 3 go from mild to moderate to more radical.All shoot superb.

The GN Traditionalist I am shooting right now is almost straight.But has some mild reflex.It has  trapezoid and tapered lamintations.Its a very stable bow and honestly surprisingly quick.Its also dead quiet with little handshock.A superb bow in the straighter category!Thier are others that shoot very well.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Tim, if you are a Howard Hill fan or enjoy reading about the archers of that time period and feel a kinship with them, you probably will want the straight longbow.  Otherwise I would go with the r/d longbow.  I think it is easier to shoot.
I shoot both but enjoy shooting the "D" bow the most.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Oh I admire all those guys but I want a bow I can shoot . Accuracy  forgiving and quiet .  Speed is not that,important and I know accuracy comes from the shooter  no hand shock is also important. I here some of the straight designs can be punishing. Then again I hear some straight bows can have little to no handshock too.I have been looking at the Bama bows but can't decide between the hunter or the expedition hunter.

As far as the tomahawk bows  I know they are probably worth the price  but I just don't have that kind of money right now wish I did 3rivers has excellent  service and I like doing business with them a lot.

I'm really appreciating all the input on this subject so for that thank you. Keep em coming please.
Tim

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
I keep hearing fans of D shape and mild rd longbow mention heavily reflexed longbows are unstable vertically and unforgiving to release errors. How true is that?  Those who shoot Big Jim, Kanati, Black Creek, Thunderstick, Caribow,  Treadway....Do you find this lack of forgiveness or is it just the case of a shorter bow being inherently less forgiving?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Nativestranger:  To me, a short bow is less stable than a longer one. I draw 29, and if I try to shoot anything below 62", my form has to be just right. Not everyone has this problem but most of the really good shots I,ve been around shoot a longer bow. I shoot best with a 66 or 68" hill style that I make. I made my wife a 56" hybrid "treestand" bow and she shoots it great, but she draws 26". I think that ratio between bow length and bow length has a lot to do with it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I like them both, altho I shoot mostly the D/R so I guess I prefer them.  I get a little shorter bow and generally a bit more performance.

Originally posted by damascusdave:
I have never owned or even shot a longbow that is not reflex/deflex (or is that deflex/reflex)...
Never have figured how the name reflex/deflex came to describe the bows many of us shoot.  IMO, it is deflex/reflex.  The name should describe the bow.  The limbs deflex off the riser and then reflex midlimb towards the tips.  Reflex/deflex describes one of those Cupid bows.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Don't shoot me but I think it's a lot like rifles.  Some people like a .243 & others like a .30-06 AI.  The deer don't know the difference so shoot what you like the best.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
I own and shoot 5 Massie R&D "Longhorns", 3 of which are take downs, 4 Howard Hill bows (3 takedowns)made by Craig, and a Jim Belcher "Union Jack". When its time to kill something I always pick up a Hill style bow.I like the way they feel in my hand. They point quick, shoot straight,are easy to carry and extremely quiet. I like take downns because of the extra mass in the grip area. I've not shot an R&D type bow I preferred over my Massie "Longhorns", and I hunt with and shoot my "Longhorns" on a regular basis, but as I said above, when somethings got to die I always end up with a Hill style bow in the truck. Good luck in your quest. Enjoy the ride.  :archer2:

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I just got a Baraga from Riverrat. I have to say it is sweet. I had tried another a while back and think I was overbowed so I didn't shoot it well. This mildly R/D bow shoots like a dream. I can't imagine a better shooting bow. Of course I've never shot a straight bow, if those are better....WOW.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©