3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would like your opinion.  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Would like your opinion.
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I have tried both gloves and tabs since starting traditional archery and while a tab doesn't completely suit me it is what I have used the past several years. My problem with a glove is they are not snug enough for me and I seem to feel the string better with a tab. Anyone else had the same experience? Thanks.

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would like your opinion.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
You bet! That is why I'm a tab shooter. I just can't seem to find a glove that fits me well. Like you I can feel the string better with my tab,and with the finger separater I don't pinch the nocks as badly.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I started out with a glove and then switched to a tab.  It's easier for me to feel my anchor point without anything covering the ends of my fingers.  I'm going to try and cut the tips out of my glove, and see how that works.  That being said, I'll probably stick with a tab.  I get a good smooth release with a tab.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
I've shot a one-hole target tab for going on fifteen years now.

Better string feel than any glove I have tried and it's so easy to roll the tab around to the back of your hand when you need to do other things.  Gloves were always in my way.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Question for the Tab Shooters:  What Material do You Use? I have a  Cordovan Tipped Glove , and I Love It!!  :thumbsup:   I just wondered if y'all used the Same Material. I didnt mean to HiJack your Thread, just curious.  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
My tab is Cordovan.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
I did not like the way a tab felt so I use a glove, unless I tried the wrong type of tab.  :archer:    :coffee:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
How do you tab guys deal with cold (not cool, but COLD) weather? Do you put your tab over a thin glove, a mitten? No glove?

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Cordovan tab...for all the above mentioned reasons. I can use a tab with my wool gloves when it's cold.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Tab goes over glove

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
My tab goes over a light wool glove.  Those green surplus liner gloves work great.  If my hand still gets cold, I put it in my pocket.  The tab definately shoots and hunts best for me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Cordovan tab here too. Like Jeff, I found a glove inconvenient at times. Tried many tabs and settled on the cordovan, maybe 25 yr ago.

Steve

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
I've used a glove for more than 40 years.  But folks on this site seem to indicate that a tab gives a better/smoother release.  I've been trying to find a tab I can shoot, but so far have been unsuccessful.  For me, feeling both my fingers and the tab leather on the side of my face is disconcerting.  Also, a tab has never let me feel the string as well as a glove, but that may be because I've never stuck with one long enough to break it in.  Any advice?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Cordovan face backed with a piece of softer leather works best for me.  

As for cold, I asked my wonderful wife to knit me a wool scarf 18" wide.  When she finished it, I rolled the thing up, stiched it together into a tube and added a lightweight nylon belt.  Now I have a three layer wool hand muff.  No more cold hands and nothing alters the feel of my shot!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
I started out using a glove,then changed to  a tab with no split,shooting 3 under with my recurve.Then I switched to longbow ,went to a shoot that required split finger and did not like the feel of a tab that way. Now I preferr a reaaall!!! thin glove and they are very hard to find. Finally found a real thin one at Academy and it was very cheap but they don't always have them. When it is real cold I use a wool military glove liner and just shoot off the glove. Works for me.  My 2cents   :D    :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Everytime I have tried using a tab, the string pops me in the nose (ouch!). Usually only takes a couple shots to get me back to the glove.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
I shoot with a tab 99% of the time.  I can't pick my nose or scratch my butt while wearing a glove.

For colder weather, I have a cordovan tab with an elastic adjustable finger loop and just make the loop bigger to go over one or two pair of  gloves.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©