3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Thru Netting  (Read 411 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Thru Netting
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I just spend several days sitting in pop-up blinds while hunting antelope with Fred Eichler's outfit (I won the raffle at Compton '06).  I didn't have any bucks wander in close enough, but saw some big goats and had lots of time to think.

I know tons of guys think/say shooting through net on a blind has zero effect on accuracy at close/medium ranges.  But I am still bugged by this:  When shooting a stickbow, we are likely not 'centershot.'  Therefore there is a certain amount of arrow paradox as the shaft leaves the bow.  If the arrow is still fishtailing when it enters the net, wouldn't it very likely send it off on a different course/angle before the arrow stabilized and straightened out?

I had planned on just shooting out open windows but the antelope were pretty wired, so left the netting up, but that nagging thought above really bothered me.  Anybody on here done any serious checking of this?  I'm not very technical at all, and would appreciate the views of those who are.  Thanks.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Thru Netting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
was in the blind with a friend and he shot thru netting and the results were good no deflection at all

ask guru
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
I've done it numerous times, no effect at all. I believe it's more of a mental obstacle. Just doesn't seem right. Takes a little practice just getting used to shooting out of that little hole and will definitely mess with your ranging. Kind of gives you tunnel vision. Once you do it though makes a difference. I practice it every year before I hunt out of a pop-up.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
No problems at all on targets and 2 deer.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Bryce, I've taken a lot of turkeys (no net) out of Double Bulls, but have also managed to arrow a few whitetails as well while the net was down.  The only problem I had once was when I noticed pieces of my feathers hung in the net and in the bottom of the blind.  Taking a look at the holes in the net, I noticed an off-center tear indicating that the fletch was not following the broadhead.  After some experimenting I discovered that I was not shooting normally,in fact I was short drawing my bow creating a "too stiff" situation - my nock was sweeping to the left (I shoot lefty).  The problem was eliminated after I adjusted my shooting and also made sure that I glued down the leading edges of my feathers.  By the way, I was shooting 190 gr. Simmons Interceptors at the time.  Since the "fix", I have had zero problems with those heads or Wensel Woodsmans.

A side note:  I do occasionally have some difficulty with my depth perception when looking from the darkness of the blind out through the net into an illuminated landscape, but that's another problem altogether!
Gary Logsdon

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
It doesn't work too good if you shoot foeld tips  :)
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
160 grain Snuffer and your feathers clear just fine. LOL!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Don't ask me Bryce.....I've been using DB's since 2000 and have never shot thru the netting,not once.....But I will soon as I plan to try to kill a deer out of my Matrix this fall.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Wary Buck, "Paradox" is NOT a side to side motion, it's a vibration like a guitar string. Any side to side/up/down is the result of poor tuning, not paradox. Side swiping the net would actually help with poor tuning or bad release. I've taken several critters through the nets with no problems other then it screws up my depth preception big time....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
O.L. is right on the money with this one. It does play with your depth perception but if you check out the shooting lanes ahead its no big problem.
Out Door Dan

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Have to agree with O.L. Depth perception is a far bigger problem then arrow deflection.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I just felt that with the arrow likely not perfectly straight (recovered) from a stickbow by the time it hit the screen, that it would be effected (whereas a perfectly tuned arrow from a compound would not).  You folks are telling me no issue, so now it's just a mental hurdle to clear.

I too have had depth perception issues with the narrow windows, but am probably going to have Double Bull custom sew the big window in on my Pro Model now.  They still use that big window I think in that #2 model of theirs.  I spent some time in a blind like that and think it would definitely make the depth perception thing much easier.

Thanks for the input, and for clearing up my improper term usage.  Now I just gotta go find a big box to use to ship off my DB.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
O.L. Haddn't thought about depth perception I will look out for it. I'm new to blinds. Thanks Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
I've probably shot over fifty animals through mine and have not shot ANY without the netting. Never had a problem unless my broadhead touched the edge by mistake. The netting needs to be fairly snug for best flight but depth perception has never been a problem for me. Look through it, not at it. You'll drive your truck a whole lot better if you look out your windshield rather than at the dead bugs on it! :>)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Gene, Bet you don't drive your truck looking through a porthole!  :)  I got the Matrix and it's not an issue like the old ones were.  :) ..O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©