3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hi Ho, Hi Ho...it's off for moose we go...WE are BACK! pics added.  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hi Ho, Hi Ho...it's off for moose we go...WE are BACK! pics added.
« Reply #240 on: September 29, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing, BD and Serge!  :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

For sure I'm in for next year, no question!
Great crew, wonderful part of the wood, it can't be better!

Welcome back

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
You are friggin' right Manny, you ARE coming with us for sure my friend!

We need 6 guys, at least 4 pool 1's to get a bull tag, and we will be getting that bull, just wait and see  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: September 29, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Keep'em comming,,looking like a great camp hunt,any bloody arrows pics you could tease us with,,  :saywhat:
TGMM

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »
Not unless one of us had cut ourselves,,,no arrows were released at moose or bear with malicious intent.  ;)

Serge was telling Jim and I that usually the 1st year in a new area is a learning year.

We did learn alot. serge was a great teacher of the moose-way.  We have a good set-up for next Sept. we will be better prepared and we will know what to bring.
I had a blast, moose or no moose.
Longbows, Laughs, good times, seeing the true north, howling at the wolves, baiting for bears. It was all worth the trip.

I paddled a small river that is probably the same as it was was 300 hundred years ago when the what would one one-day become the Canadian economy was booming with the fur-trade.
Voyageur canoes might have paddled the same areas we hunted in earnest to load their small vessels with furs.
It was a mind clearing and soulful escape from modern trappings of everyday life.
I know when I got home it felt very busy and the air was heavy and dirty feeling.
But, next year we will again make the trek north with renewed enthusiasm and hopefully, with a valid BULL tag in our collective pocket.
Thanks Serge and Jim for a great time, better guys to spend a week and a half with I cannot think of.
Cary  :)

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I should diverge more into our tag situation.
We had a valid "cow" tag.
This makes hunting 10 times harder than a bull.
You can't really call cows, maybe, if everything is perfect, it can be done.
The combo of the warm temps, very wet conditions and proximity to logging roads, made it difficult to locate any calves or cows.
Now that we have a spot to base from and waterways to travel away from the logging roads; we will be set-up much more advantageous next fall.
also, we will have the magic "BULL" tag in pocket. :)

BD

Offline THE FOREST WITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Hey Cary, Jim and Serge,
I am so glad to see that you returned home, safe and sound.  It is unfortunate that you were unable to start filling your freezers, but it's not all about the kill...  Being with good friends and taking in the beauty of the fierce Canadian North must have been breath-taking    :scared:  

Cary, the pictures are absolutely wonderful as always...  You have great vision for picking and freezing moments in time.  My favorite of course was the one of the moon....  I also liked the one on page 15 of the narrow passage of water that you headed out on... I could imagine the fur traders coming up through there heavily laden down with spoils of trapping game.  You can never replace the feeling of peace, sitting around a fire, gazing at the night full of spectacular stars!   :bigsmyl:  
The fact that you are already planning a bigger and better event for next year, only tells me that you are more determined to face the new adventure of Cary's Crew!!!!
Cheers
Kelly
Spring, give thanks for the never-ending shades of green

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks Kelly, but on this trip; we were "Serge's" crew!  :)
He has done this a lot, so he was the one we turned to for advice and help.
It was hopefully, the start of a yearly event for the "Mississippi Lake Longbow-Lovers Hunt- Club" or the " MLLLHC"  ;)
Prounounced as "ML-E-CH!!!!"    ;)    :campfire:    :archer:  

HATS off to Serge Poulin folks.  :clapper:

Offline THE FOREST WITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Hey Cary,
sorry Serge my mistake....  I am used to Cary planning all these wonderful adventures.  Serge, you  will have to add a lot of your own commentary for the rest of Trad Gang.
 I am sure there are many stories to tell us about, especially the bears that you encountered.   :scared:   Did Jim do most of the cooking or was that matter of taking turns dishing out the grub.  By the sounds of it, you took enough food to feed a whole village up there...   :biglaugh:  
Well Cary, I am almost positive that you took at least a 100 pictures of the North,  we hope that you are planning on showing us some more gorgeous scenes of Nature in it's pure element...
Look forward to seeing and hearing more about Serge and his crew's adventure!!!
TFW
Spring, give thanks for the never-ending shades of green

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Hey Cary,Kelly,
Serge's crew    :confused: ,this is all about friendship  and team work,I do enough leadership and coaching at work,now when comes time to enjoy life  at it's best,I take the back seat and breathe it all in    :D    :D    ;) .
Next year looks great,some planning already talked about.I'll have the camp banner ready for the trip and will paddle the way north for that special undiscovered moose heaven.
No bloody arrows Jason,would have been nice thought,but this is secondary and a bonus added when it happens,traditional bowhunters are special peoples and this is why we all enjoy every outing ,with or without any animal taken.
Overall,we had a super duper of a week,great friends    :thumbsup:  

Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Yeah Serge, you are right...lol It was the "MLLLHC" crew.  ;)

And the above?? Well said my friend, very well said.  :)

James Bay Watershed? I hear it is loaded with moose, and next year, a big bull is taking the ride home with us.
BD

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
BigDog ... Yep, the first year in an area is always a learning year.  My brother and I went through that last year for moose up near the BC/Yukon border.  Amazing how much you learn the 1st year.  I still can't figure out the moose draw system here in Onario.  Do you have to enter the draw as a group?  If you are ever up near Smiths Falls, drop by.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Hi Stephen,
Long time no hear, how are you?

And yes, we enter as a group, with a designated group leader.

are you interested for next year???

You are very close to Jim , he makes our longbows for us.

BD.

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey Cary,

Things are starting to look good here for the deer season.  I'm taking some holidays end of Oct as my brother is coming out to hunt.  Drop me a line if you want to join us.  If I can't save up enough pennies to make back up to northern BC i'm definately interested in joing with you guys.

Stephen

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Great photos. It sure is beautiful up there.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks Jason,we are fortunate to live and hunt in the Two of the most beautiful country in the world.You sure went to some awesome places too.I enjoy reading your articles,keep it up,good work.
Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: October 01, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
Hey Sergio,what about your hunt? Tell us your story and pics now....
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Hi Serge;
           My hunt parallel's your hunt, great scenery, beautiful river, and plagued with hi winds, rain, and heat . Even when it was windy ( constantly) it was moving warm air . we had a Bull tag, and of course the only Moose seen (by Me) was a cow !!? Yup! worse weather i have ever Moose hunted in! On the other hand ,the other fellas i was hunting with, were great and the accomodations were first class Sauna and shower etc.
        Right now i'm concentrating on a Booner bear i saw from my stand a couple of nights ago. Wrong wind so he woudn't come closer than 60 yds. I watched him with my binoculars for about 1/2 an hour while he sat and milled around forever testing the wind. He finally left for good. Darn south winds, my stand are set upfor nor'westers and theres no way I can move this one bceause of the cover.So right now it's a waiting game. Talk to ya soon!

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
We have been getting a steady diet of S-SW'ers as well, most of our stands are set-up for SW-W winds.
Oh well, it will change in a week or so.
BD

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Cary; Aweek or so and our Bear will be shutting down for the winter and staying close to their dens. Oh well if the wind doesn't change in the next couple of days, it'll be time to shift to Deer Mode and quit harassing the Bears.Don't really need another Bear anyway , I just enjoy toying with them.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
There is always next year,hopefully the weather will be for the best.Hope you get that huge bear Sergio,not much time left but only need one good wind.
Talk to you soon.
Serge
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©