3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger trashed shooting split?  (Read 377 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger trashed shooting split?
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey all, I switched back to split about two months ago and it has done wonders for my instinct, especially at longer distance... But my fingers are getting a bit of a hiding, my middle finger last joint has a huge callous and my index finger all the skin has been pulled away from the nail on the inside. It often bleeds a bit while shooting too.

Is this normal, it could be finger pinch as I pull around 30 on a 60 inch bow?

Oh I use a black widow tab also, it doesn't have a spacer ...

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger trashed shooting split?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
sounds like you should get a padded glove. It will fix that easily. I shoot the widow padded stick tight gloves
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
could be some finger pinch. or could be an elbow alignment prob. there is some info in the shooters forum on finger soreness. maybe post there. good luck
Kevin Day

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Are you taking a deep grip on the string all the way to the first join? If not, the string sliding off the pad of your finger will cause you some grief. Also, a thicker glove or tab might be useful. If you think it results from a form error, post on the FORM forum, and see what some of the experts think.Good luck.
Sam

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I went through this too! Just let the calluses build up, and drop your elbow
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I used to have the same problems. With a tab I had to have the spacer.
Also as mentioned, lowering the elbow in my case relieved a lot of pain in the index finger.
Also your draw with most 60" bows would cause some pinch for sure.
Either a tab with spacer or a good glove will help.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
might need a longer bow?  Or a recurve if you are using a longbow.
My 62" RFDF longbow was making my finger sore. I recently got a 60" recurve and its much easier on the fingers

Tedd

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
That sounds a lot like you have to much pressure on your fingertips.Get a deeper hook on the string and it should help. Also, as mentioned above you may have your elbow a bit high. Mostly that comes from pulling with your fingers too much. When you start your draw, think about bringing your elbow back. That will help get your elbow in the right slot by involving your back.

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I think it might be finger position, I normally have the string just resting at the first joint from my finger tip or the pad itself. It's a recurve, about 60# at my draw so the string does come off pretty hard and fast, I've noticed a static release helps a little but with a proper follow through it's much more consistent.

I guess I'll try a deeper hook and - I would like to try a glove but I had a band-aid wrapped around it when it kept getting blood on the nock and it was flying high and to the left 100% of the time (rather oddly)

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
See if you can pick up the string without your index finger making contact with the arrow nock. Give yourself a nice gap, like you'd see on a tab with a spacer. If your pinching the arrow between your fingers to keep it on the string it can make the inside of your index finger pretty tender in a hurry. elbow down
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Are you using a brass crimp on nock set?  These used to cause a problem for me on the inside of my index finger.  Using a tie on nock helped me out there.  
Also, having a high elbow at full draw puts more pressure on the inside of the index finger, the drawing arm elbow needs to be straight in line with the arrow at full draw.

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
The elbow is normally okay but I'm almost certain now I've been pinching the nock... I'll have another crack when I get home from work, any good spacer tabs you can recommend?

Also thanks for the advice!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I like the Bateman cordovan with the spacer.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Well I just had a shoot, it was definitely pinch.

Deep hook worked well for getting rid of the grazing but it wasn't as good with accuracy.

I did try a variation though, whereby I used all three fingers to pull back, and then just held it at anchor with the middle finger until release. That seemed to work really well but I can only imagine how big the callous will get if I keep that up!

Guess I'll suss out some spacers. I shoot a recurve now but I might swap to a 62 inch longbow as I was just ordered one in 60 (thank god for waiting lists)

Well at least I know what to work on. Thanks again.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
I'm not sure that your bow is long enough for a 30 inch draw. However, try Olympic Coach Kisik Lee's approach. Basically line up the string ahead of the first joint of your index finger 2mm to 4 mm and in the first joint of the middle finger.  The ring finger is mostly a stabilizer for the wrist and the string crosses the middle of the first pad. He also advises pointing the index fingertip upward instead of the natural tendency to point down. This technique works well with or without a finger spacer on the tab.  There is more to it - here's a link to his explanation (PDF download to chapter in his book Inside the Archer):

Hooking by Coach Kisik Lee
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
When my index finger gets sore (same as you described) I move it up the string slightly to relieve the nock pinch at full draw. I anchor with middle finger at corner of mouth so it doesn't affect my shot at all.

I learned this little trick from the late great Stacy Groscup.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Very interesting read on Lee.  I like most of it except his bent wrist. I shoot better when I keep the wrist flat during the draw.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©