3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Express Heritage  (Read 313 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Express Heritage
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I posted here about a week ago about choosing 75`s for my 45lb Martin Savannah. I based my decision on the spine being .611 on their website. Shawn Leonard agreed with my choice. I went to check on the GPI earlier tonight,,and noticed that they changed both the GPI and spine listing. The Spine now reads .670 !!!!! I am now worried..I just got the arrows in the mail today,and I am worried they are going to be too soft. I don`t understand the change to the numbers.    :eek:

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Express Heritage
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
Sounds like maybe a change in the shaft.   :dunno:  Maybe give them a call and see if this is really a manufacturing change or just a change in how they are listing them.  I am sure someone here will have some info on this.  Maybe try Big Jim.

If they did change the shaft, you don't know that you have the new weaker ones unless it says something on the shaft.  You could weigh one to see what GPI it is.  That would tell you.  Is there any way you can have the spine checked?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
Sounds like maybe a change in the shaft.    :dunno:   Maybe give them a call and see if this is really a manufacturing change or just a change in how they are listing them.  I am sure someone here will have some info on this.  Maybe try Big Jim.

If they did change the shaft, you don't know that you have the new weaker ones unless it says something on the shaft.  You could weigh one to see what GPI it is.  That would tell you.  Is there any way you can have the spine checked?
Called them,,they said they did change it. They also said I have the newer arrow with the .670 spine according to the numbers on the arrow. So,,I  think its gonna be weak now.

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
That sucks,  I also use the 75's, looks like the 90's are now closer to 600.  Preditor 2 shafts also changed.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Your shooting a 45# bow?
Should work you just have to play with the length and point weight.
They should tune fine
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Well I've watched the thread here w/ keen interest and agree w/ your concern.  At least in my experience, I shoot 45-50lb bows and draw them to 28" bow and I shoot the CE 250's. I was able to tune these very easily and have the desired wt (350 arrow + 175 broadhead = 525 grain at 29" length) that I'm looking for. I found that the CE 150 and 90 too weak when I did my testing.  I dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this works for me. I'd be interested in what your results are, please post them.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Lower pt weight or shorten arrow to stiffen arrow....lowering brace height can also help......you may just want to build out your strike plate to get them to fly
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Roverrich, you are the exception. I have 150's tuned very well out of 54# high performance recurves cut to 29.25"s drawn to 28"s with 175-190 grains of point weight. I agree they may still work but I worry about GPP. trying to get them there, at .600 spine yes but .670 softens them up quite a bit. I PM'ed ya Scattergun. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
CX has changed there arrow wraps to make them look slightly more "woody". These shafts are lighter in color and yes, the spine has changed.

them new shafts vs. old shafts:
    NEW         vs.        OLD
75-  8.69 gpi/.670 spine  8.8 gpi/.611 spine
90-  9.71 gpi/.588 spine  9.4 gpi/.530 spine
150- 10.11gpi/.495 spine  10 gpi /.487 spine
250- 10.20gpi/.391 spine  11 gpi /.373 spine
350- 11.45gpi/.324 spine  12 gpi /.320 spine

Fairly big difference in the 75s and 90s and not so much so in the 150s/250s/350s. This may actually help a lot of people as most are using shafts that are too stiff.

I spoke with Cx and they told me there was almost no change....however they don't have much of a grasp on Trad archery. With wheels, this is not an issue.

On an upside, very few of the new shafts are out and available. We still have a few hundred dozzen shafts and most of them are the dark(old)stock. When they are gone, it will be back to the bare shafting for most.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
Think about glueing in some weight tubes to compensate for the weaker spine?

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Big Jim. Not sure why they have to change a good thing.   :banghead:    

Bill

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
You don't know until you try when it comes to carbons from what I have found most times.  But, that is a big change on the CE75 and 90's.  

I have a bow I draw over 28", and it is more than 53# at that length. It is a D/R LB with good performance, and cut past center a little.  It shoots CE150's 30" 100 gr. inserts and 145-175 points well.  Best tune is probably going to take a little length change with one of the points.  I have another in the same weight range that also shoots the CE150 with a little less point weight.  I like the looks of the weight and spine change on the CE150. I probably could have made the old 90 work for some bows, but less likely now.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
I wouldn't wast my time with the weight tubes. Some make it work, but they are very aggrivating. It is always best with carbons especially when you can put needed weight up front.
Jwilliam, unfortunatley as they say, the only thing for certain is change.

Bigjim

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I think this is bad for arrow companies to do, screws up a lot of people. I just checked my archery geek software(Archers Advantage) and it still shows the old spine values. So now for the guy that updates this software, he would have to list old and new values. I think it goes back to what somebody said above that CX not having a grasp about traditional archery. Big Jim, if you read this, did CX warn you about these changes?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Old_goat2, they did not, but again, that is because they aren't aware of how that affects us.
We are just a spec that won't go away compaired to the wheel guys. All they have to do is tweak a little and it will shoot just about any shaft.

If you haven't noticed, they all offer a chart for arrow selection. It asks recurve? finger release? and some even ask modern longbow?
Not even close to enough info to decide on which arrow to choose.
BigJIm

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Big Jim, thanks for the important update.  Glade I shoot 250s.  Have some of both, fortunately I  cannot see a difference.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
On the Heritage 90's...does any one know if the 100 gr brass inserts will fit into those shafts????
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©