3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tightening Finger Stalls?  (Read 281 times)

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Tightening Finger Stalls?
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Completed a serch here with no results coming up.Is there a way to tighten stalls that have become excessively loose?I have already affixed leather shims to the inside of each stall,but they are loose again.
Has anyone tried soaking them in water, and sun drying them.Should shrink right?
Thanks!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tightening Finger Stalls?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Has anyone tried soaking them in water, and sun drying them.Should shrink right?
Thanks! [/QB]
That was my first thought, but I imagine with use they would stretch again.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
If its finger type stalls, not a glove, try stitching up the seams again or if more is needed use a sewing awl and needle and take in a little more leather.  I shoot a Howard Hill style glove and two or three stiches are thats needed.  Bow string strands makes for good thread, just wax it up.  Ah, maybe should have said an old bowstring.

Soaking it will work for short term but it will stretch out again before long.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
I use the gluing strips of leather to the insides method. Added bonus - I use stiff leather and get a cleaner release.

Another thing that works for me is buying a glove that's 1 size too small (I like a really tight fit)
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Whack your fingers real good, they will swell up and now it fits !    :biglaugh:  

OK  maybe not such a great idea.  

I am interested in these answers as well.
ChuckC

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Pine Tar helps a lot. Baseball/tennis supply stores carry it. Not messy, get the roll up stick from Adidas throw it in your pack.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I soak mine in a bowl of very hot water and dawn soap. Then I throw it in the dryer. I then put it on and use some Louisville slugger baseball glove oil on it. Fingers come out real tight and the oil is the only one I have found that doesn't get crusty over time. Works great for me!
"Just passing through"

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Mine fell on the ground in the yard the other day - found it the next day after heavy rain during the night.  Since it was soaked anyway, I went ahead and cleaned it good with water and tossed it in the dryer.  Worked some leather dressing into it and it's nice and tight now.  Don't know how long it will stay that way.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Jasonat hhill archery sez he stiches them tighter and that what I did when my hill glove stretched out.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks Gap!I will give that a try.I would order a new one, but Black Widow has been out of stock on the PDQ Glove for awhile now.Hope to pick up a smaller size, when they are available again,untill then a temporary fix will do.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
If you get one thats a little two tight soaking and stretching generally works pretty good. I have a couple of wooden dowels whittled down and painted for inserting in the stalls and then let air dry.  Then rub on some parifin wax.  Don't melt it in as too much will cause the string groove to develope a deep crease.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I put a little string wax on my fingers then put on my glove. It stays put.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©