3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowyers how do I fix this..  (Read 322 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
bowyers how do I fix this..
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
bow has had a major fix done to last 5 in. of upper limb tip, causing limb to twist to the right, was told I need to sand some off the last 5 in. of the left side to bring it back in line, dont want to mess it up as this bow shoots awesome. Can someone walk me through exactly what I need to do and what not to do, havent been able to find a bowyer to fix it and the original bowyer is in bad health and no longer working on bows..Appreciate any help...Dean [/url] [/IMG]
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowyers how do I fix this..
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
I think the advice you got was correct.  You will have to cut the nock in a little deeper on that side as well.  

It's hard to tell from the picture just how much twist is in the limb.  If it is only a little bit and it shoots awesome you can just leave it.  Chad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Chad, its actually quite a bit, the string is tracking about a 1/4 in. from the right side its bad enough that the bottom part of string on lower limb is being pulled sideways also...Will I lose much weight or any off the bow,what do I use to take off the wood just sandpaper, would I just use a chainsaw file to deepen groove and then sand it with 200 gr. to 400 gr. to take rough edges off.. Sorry for all the questions but have never attempted this.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
String is pulling to strongest side..either file the right nock(looking at the belly) 90 degrees deeper into the limb or lower the left nock down or Both....go slow..with a chainsaw file..IMO oppinion I would NOT sand the limb edges.....I would not pull it back very far.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Joebuck, I shoot it every day, shot it today for about 2 hrs. straight, Ive probably shot it 2,000 times with it the way it is, just want to fix it before something breaks. So I would file the nock on the right in the pic correct to let string pull back to the center of limb?? Do I just follow the track of present string groove only go a little deeper until string tracks right?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
IndianLBshooter..man that picture looks bad! When you say major fix done to last 5" , what was that?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Joe, not sure but he guy I got it from said somehow the glass on last 5 in. in of limb and lower half of tip got sheared off by a FF string, its been totally rebuilt on the last 5 in., the tip is even thicker then the bottom one, believe it or not this bow is smoother shooting then most recurves, zero handshock and very fast...would like to get another set of limbs for it but hes not building them anymore..

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Unstring the bow...before it comes unstrung and knocks all the windows out of your house..   :D   .Take a chainsaw file that is at least same or smaller width as string groves and remove abot 1/16 on right side in the direction of the arrows( belly facing). This will move the center of the string more towards center of limb. If that doesn't work, remove another 1/16.. if that doesn't work then lower the string loop grove on the left side 1/16 of an inch...if that doesn't work...remove another 1/16 of an inch by lowering it again.. Removing the material on the right side will move that tip over quicked than lower the nock...I'm surprised someone with talent enough to rebuild that bow after nocks sheared off could not line the "ears" back up...but I've seen people buy $800 brand new bowes with canting tips...good luck...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Joe, thanks for all the help will let you know how it turns out....Dean

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©