3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VAP arrows  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
VAP arrows
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
What's the deal with the shafts? Anybody using these? and what do you think about them?
thanks
Jeff

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VAP arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
I use them in both longbows and static tip recurves - I use 400's on bow weights from 50-60# and with point weights from 200-300 grain with no change in impact.

I have had better luck using the AeroSert outsert by Firenock in conjunction with a 1 1/8" piece of 5/32" solid aluminum rod as an internal footing.  Makes them extremely strong!

Fly great and fast!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Where is the best place to buy these shafts? And what size feathers are you putting on them?
Jeff

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I get mine from Lancaster - you can buy then in singles if you want to do some testing.  I use 4" 3 fletch on mine.  As these shafts are great for high and extreme FOC, very little is needed in rear.  I am contemplating going to a smaller fletching on my next batch
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Jeff,
Bob talked me into some of these.  Have to say its pretty sweet shooting around 10 gpp with my 250 and 300 gr heads.
I bought the V-Force HV 350's.  Really liking them so far.
I plan to get some of the 400's to try out.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Do you have to have a special insert to screw a broadhead on this shaft?
These shafts are real small . Are they hard to get used to?
I am shooting around 55 pounds, which shaft would be good?
Could you put a 5 inch feather or should I go smaller?
It seems like these shafts would for compound shooters. I have never shot anything this small.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Kruse:
Do you have to have a special insert to screw a broadhead on this shaft?
These shafts are real small . Are they hard to get used to?
I am shooting around 55 pounds, which shaft would be good?
Could you put a 5 inch feather or should I go smaller?
It seems like these shafts would for compound shooters. I have never shot anything this small.
Need out serts.  The stainless are suppose to be good but are pricey.  Firenock makes a nice outsert. I use them on my compound arrows and will probably switch to smaller diameter arrows for my longbow eventually
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »
As Sawtooth mentioned, they use outserts.  The stainless actually bend more than the aluminums in hard hits.  The outsert by Firenock is much better, IMO.

400 spine will work great with your 55# set-up.  If you read my earlier reply, you will see that I shoot them in bows from 50# - 60#'s.  I pull just a tad over 29" and keep mine cut to 30" before insert.

Penetrate like crazy!

As far as fletching - 5" is not better, although you can use it - a little tight if you use a really tight helical.  4" works great, and if you are using a heavy point you can likely get by with even smaller.

My set-ups with AeroOutsert and 300 grain point weigh 560 grains and are 27% FOC.  Fly great even at 40-45 yards.  Hit like a sledgehammer!  With the stainless rod footing that I mention above, I drop down to 275 grains up front for same effect, but one heck of a stumping arrow!

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
I boght some 400s. They fly amazing, fast and really penetrate. Far out penetrate the axis trads I had been shooting. I havnt tried the firenock outsert per Bobs recommendation but will. I plan on using these in Africa this summer. I believe these coupled with a wicked sharp VPA should work awesome.
I have been using the stainless outserts. My only issue is I have tried 3 different glues and hav had the outsert and point come out. What r u guys using?
I also want to work on a way to foot these. I think that would make then outstanding.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Jason,

That's another big advantage of the Firenock outsert - they don't pull out (or off) like the VAP inserts.  As far as the VAP inserts go, I've had better luck lately with just plain Super Glue (not get type).  Make sure to rough up inside of shaft as well as scuff paint on insert then wipe all down with alcohol before gluing.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
rbcorbitt:  You mention aluminum internal footing in one post and stainless steel in the other do you use both?
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Only using the internal footing with the AeroSerts at moment.  Really makes a strong arrow.

If I go back to VAP insert/outserts, I'll go back to external footing.  On a hard angle hit, the VAP i/outserts tend to tear out the side of the shaft, so an external footing will reinforce this.  Course, I'd have to lengthen my arrows about another 1" to accommodate the external footing.

Going to play around some with the Easton Injexions.  They have a thicker shaft wall and a higher gpi.  You can use the VAP i/outserts in them or FireNock offers the AeroSert to fit these as well.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Which model are you using (V1,V6, etc)?
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
How much do you want to spend? The VAP V1(.001) are around $165 for a dozen shafts,V3(.003) around $140 and V6(.006) are around $105.They are the same diameter as Easton Injexion,but the Injexion have a alittle higher GPI.But then too the VAP's come in more spines then Injexion's.I have some VAP 400,they are 7.1GPI and my Injexion 400 are 8.9 GPI.I put some VAP outserts in my Injexion so I could use 5/16" points,I didn't want to be limited to the Deep Six points with the 6/40 thread at a 100 gr point.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
I've used the V!'s and the V3's - couldn't really tell much difference in flight, etc.

Now this is the amazing part.  Was shooting my heavy bows yesterday (Toelke Whip 61# and Whippenstick Inferno 67# yesterday), and the same 400 spine VAP set-ups flew and performed great!  

This is one arrow set-up over a bow range of R/D longbows and high performance recurves from draw weights of 50 - 67# with point weights from 200 - 300 grains up front, AND they all fly great!

Granted, overall arrow weight is a little lower than I prefer on the heavy bows, but it still amazes me the versatility (and penetration) of these arrows!

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the model info.  It appears that Victory has tried to address the side shear problem of the original inserts.  They have a lip that is a small outsert portion. Has anyone tried or seen the new Penetrator2 inserts?
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I have shot the VAP 's some. I like the small diameter and think it lends it self to easier tunning. Arrows seem to shoot I a lot wider range of spine to bow poundage. I only have experience with the alum insert/outsert. They are not that durable. Only shot one animal. 85 lb pig out of a tree with a 40lb recurve. .500 full length with 175 2 blade. In the dirt pass through. I was surprised. I'm gonna  play with them some more. I really like them as a hunting arrow.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I just bought 2 doz shafts. I had a couple of shafts I had been playing around with. I had gotten the 92 grain SS inserts. I was using a 200 tip. They flew perfect. When I got the shafts the other day they came with the inserts. I was dissapointed because they were only 43 grains and they wouldn't let me exchange or decline them (they are 30$ per box). However after looking at them today they are the penetrator inserts. I took one outta the box and they really seem like they will solve some issues. The increased ferrule lenght and the part that goes over the outside of the arrow roughly 3/16ths. That should definately help the sides from blowing out on angular hits. I am excited to experiment with them. Now I just need to find some 250 grain filed points to get the arrow weight where I had it with the SS inserts.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
What is the full length measurement on these arrows?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I believe 31.5" (may be 31.25").  I'm cutting mine to 30" before adding insert/outserts.  I draw a tad over 29".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©