3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone seeing Turkeys in NY  (Read 1561 times)

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone seeing Turkeys in NY
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Been scouting & riding around trying to find birds, not many to be seen or heard right now, in Dutchess County & my spots are near bare as far as turkeys go. My fear of to many coyotes & 3 bad nesting seasons in a row around here are coming true. Who is seeing them?  Mike
Big Mike

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone seeing Turkeys in NY
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I've been seeing them in Delaware Co, haven't seen much in Dutchess, Just in Wappingers and a few dead along the TSP.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm seeing plenty. Lots of gobblers on hens but no gobbling to be heard.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Lots out east no many out west.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Not too many here either.  Not looking very exciting this year. My spots appear to be a loss.  This will be the 3rd year in a row! I will still be headed out every chance I get though.  I love those early mornings in May.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Haven't heard a gobble this year, but the turkeys are around. I posted trail cam pics on the " Trail cams don't lie " thread. Wish you the best with your Turkey season.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Lots and Lots around, full strut everywhere I look, but they all seem quite quiet   :dunno:

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Hearing and seeing a lot here in Chenango County.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
I've only ever hunted a few places up there where they really gobble hard. I find alot of quiet birds around. Think the pressure is high ina lot of places ... lotta dogs etc.

I have been noticing more and more coyotes in green county in recent years too.

I've had good luck just calling DEC officers and asking em for some leads. They're usually pretty cool about it, guess not many people actually talk to them.

FWIW, I've actually had some good success hunting turkeys Oct. 1st in NY if its a warm year and using basically spring hunting tactics. Lots of gobbling still ...

Good luck to everyone up there. I'm back end of May and hope to get it done. I;'ve got about a week to hunt so we'll see.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Seeing lots of birds-- flocks with numerous birds strutting in the mornings, solo hens drifting in the late AM. Gobbles here and there. At last a season that won't be over before the opener!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
havnt even called around the hill. But the other day a nice long bird few over my house and he came off the hill I hunt, so that a good sign  :)
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Southern Tier NY they are out and about. Started hearing them at 5:30-6:00am this last week in our yard. I haven't been out in the woods yet but I've seen 2-3 every day on the sides of the road or hit by cars on the Taconic and Sprain Brook PWYs.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Seems to me like Stone Knife has called it.There are pockets of birds in WNY but the numbers are way down.I've been hitting my spots from Niagara county south to our camp in Humphrey and just not seeing much sign and few birds.Same report from my friends.The fellas in the eastern part of the state are far more optimistic about the coming season.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Seeing ton and tons in Albany county. Just a month ago I was seeing flocks of 30-40 birds in a bunch of locations. They are spread out a bit now but I am seeing a few groups of Toms everyday and watched a bunch go to roost last night. I am putting up the blind tomorrow afternoon and hope to get a shot at a bird weds. morning. I have to be to work by 9am. after my dentist appt!  :rolleyes:   I have several good set-ups and I am gonna truly gonna give it a good go this year. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Seeing ton and tons in Albany county. Just a month ago I was seeing flocks of 30-40 birds in a bunch of locations. They are spread out a bit now but I am seeing a few groups of Toms everyday and watched a bunch go to roost last night. I am putting up the blind tomorrow afternoon and hope to get a shot at a bird weds. morning. I have to be to work by 9am. after my dentist appt!   :rolleyes:    I have several good set-ups and I am gonna truly gonna give it a good go this year. Shawn
Going to be a lot of those dentist appointments on Wed.    ;)
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
No work for me Wednesday. Gonna hunt out back for a bit and try and take out that gobbler that tried to mug my wife last week.   :saywhat:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
I have the day off. Finally after 6 years I have enough seniority to get some time in may off.

I have not been hearing them or seeing them.  I talk with people who walk around that area and they say they see them from time to time.  Its funny, they were all over the place last fall.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Del Savio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I have seen a few birds in Westchester County(Armonk and Pound Ridge but not as regularly as I would hope.  I willhunt in Pound Ridge where I am luvky to have access and I have seen a very nlarge Tom there two weeks ago but..I often have yo entice them to cross suburban roads with their school bus and commutor traffic. Lots of patience required but it has paid off in the past.  In Delaware County on the family farm I did not see a single bird last deer season  but lo and behold,Im saw a really nice  strutting bird this weekend.  You don't need big flocks to have fun turkey huntimg if you are willing to literally run up and down those mountains. I have a feeling there will be less gobbling this year.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I found out there will be 2 guys sitting on the fence of the 5 acres I had to hunt.  Hopefully they are only opening day hunters. How many days in a row can they call out sick??? I could go tell their boss  :rolleyes:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
found a new spot. Never been there before. The guy I am going with said the landowner said Turkeys all over.  Hope she's right.  I know that general area is good.    :pray:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©