3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone seeing Turkeys in NY  (Read 1562 times)

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone seeing Turkeys in NY
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Called a tom in to about 50 -60 yards ,came in from behind. I think a hen cut him off, that harlot!! Then all was silent!! It was a beautiful day to be in the woods that early, nice sunrise!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
No luck this morning.  heard 2 distant gobbles. Found out the hard way they were logging the property next door.  Timberrrrr   :scared:  

It was a nice property, bit of a  drive. Lots of deer and turkey sign.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Nursing broken ribs....This is the 1st opening day that I've missed in about 25 yrs     :(    I was going to try to get out, but I figured that I'd give it a few more days.  Good Luck to those who are out there!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Had 3 different birds gobbling this morning,after they hit the ground they became tight-lipped.I did have a jake sneek in.No shot though.Still felt good to get to hunt again.going out in the morning again.Will try to get closer to those toms.......
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Heard a bird clear on the other road gobbling his head off but no luck in my woods. Nobody in my area seen or heard much but my buddy who lives the next town over worked birds and his Dad killed a 23lb gobbler.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Worked from my ground blind all morning. Finally worked a Stretch Neck in from way up on the ridge. He had two girlfriends with him and took their sweet time coming to my clucks,purrs, and leaf scratching.Finally at 11:00 he came to my decs only to shoot over him at 8 yrds, What a hunt though. Loved every minute of it.Tomorrows another day.Can't believe I missed him that close. He was a nice Gob with 7 or 8 in. beard.Saw another hen early, a grouse feed with my decs, and two coyotes came threw at 40 yrds.First gobbles Iv' heard this spring.Maybe they just haven't been close enough to the house for me to hear them.   :dunno:   Best of luck everyone- God Bless
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that David! But atleast you had a good time and got a shot. Maybe tomorrow will be better for all of us!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Nice try Dave,at least you got a shot.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Lots around here.  A week ago I walked out on the back deck - house is on a slope so the back deck is elevated - and a hen that had been robbing sunflower seeds from under the birdfeeder took off from under my feet!  Scared the crap out of both of us.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Took my buddy out for his first hunt. I pulled 4 jakes into 6' of the blind. He didn't pick a spot and only got feathers. They stayed just out of range until we finally had a nice Tom coming in. Those jakes attacked and beat the hell out of him and ran him out of the county.  Tomorrow I am up at bat first. Wish us luck!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
We heard a few gobbles on the roost and then nothing today. At 7:30 a jake came in silent and started to strut. I let my buddy take the shot and he made a great one. It was his first turkey ever. It was an awesome morning! I was just as pumped as he was!

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Nice going Greg. Yesterday we had 4 come within 100 yards there were 11 hens with them. Our Deeks weren't tempting enough. 2 hens broke away and walked up to us and into the woods 1 pecked at the side of my blind. Anyway so we spent later in the day setting up the blind etc. put the decoys inside for the next morning. Went back to see were everyone was bedding for the night everything was fine.

Went back at 4:15 this morning everything gone blind decoys my stool camo. 200 acres of private land. Been going every night for 2 weeks and haven't seen anyone.

My sons response we at least we know to look for trespassers.

Guess someone needed them more than me.    :dunno:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Congrats Greg!

Sorry about your fortune Merle. Your horse picture is awesome on your profile.

Went this morning with Bowspirit.  No Gobbles, No hens... Nothing.... Unless you count the 6 deer and 2 coyotes.  The woods had turkey sign everywhere... Not sure what to do now, hope they'll be back.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I was getting discouraged until I heard my first gobble at 9am.Decent bird (6in ?) pretty much ran in when I called but he came in on my off side and busted me as I turned at 20yds. Maybe Friday.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie it's my own fault, first time I ever left everything like that. The deeks I made were cumbersome with all the glued on feathers so I thought I would leave them there.

Could have been worse at least I didn't leave my quiver binocs calls etc.    :knothead:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Last birds seen at the farm was last spring. Not looking good in my area-no birds have been seen or heard,no tracks. It seems like they left the area for some reason.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I was supposed to get out this morning but got in late from a great day of striped bass fishing.  I know I have hunted on less sleep but today I decided to sleep in.  Besides, I knew there would be a lot of guys in the area where I wanted to go.  Thats my story, I'm stick'n string with it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Looks like the coyotes have done a number on the number of birds. At least in my neck of the woods. Talked to another hunter who hunts the same turf every year and we concluded that there are basically no last years population. Not only are there less birds, but fewer young Hens and neither one of us has seen a Jake yet.I'll have my work cut out for me the rest of the season.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Not hearing much or seeing a lot around my area, I have been hunting turkey since 1982 and have seen it good and bad. Hang in there as the season wears on guys will start to peel off leaving the birds that are left less disturbed. The hens being to fade away and the big boys will begin to talk and possibly come to the call, soft and sparingly wins the day with high pressure birds.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Rumor has it that all the turkey in NY are vacationing in Joe Skipp's yard.    :biglaugh:
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©