3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A turkey(less) tale  (Read 471 times)

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
A turkey(less) tale
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I set my blind up about 150 yards from a point where turkeys roost sometimes and could hear gobbling.  I yelped lightly to let him know where I was.  About 1/2 hr after sunrise, I saw 2 hens followed by a strutting gobbler about 100 yards away.   They crossed from NE to SW over the ridge.  About 1/2 hour later, the same 3 crossed west to east about 60 yards out and I could hear him gobble every now and then to my east.  I called softly to hopefully draw in the hens and him.  About 45 min later, one hen crossed 20 yards in front of me going east to west followed by the 2nd hen.  In anticipation, I postioned myself for the shot with my Sasquatch.  A few minutes passed and then "Kaboooom".  I am guessing this hunter was 100-150 yards from me( on other property) and managed to call the gobbler in to him.  I did wait another 45 min just to see if the gobbler would come by, but nada.  That is as close as I have been so far.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A turkey(less) tale
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
I feel your pain. It has happened to me too. So far this year I have missed a jake because he was so close to my blind my broadhead hit the bottom edge of my window. I have also seen and worked a couple of other birds... but turkeyless all the same.

Don't give up!

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I have had a lot of Turkey less days this year myself. A couple of good days as well. Stay on`m.RC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
It happens.  As frustrating as it is, you have to get back out there.

Good luck
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Well, we all know we see more timber than we do animal's, being out there participating is what matters and bring more memories.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
I have had that happen before, all you can do is stay after them, good luck!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Can't kill 'em from the couch.  I think  99% of life is just showing up.  The other 1% is what we do.  I'm turkey less for three years now.  Keep at it.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Feel your pain. My first day out this season had a guy sneak down the property line and shoot them out of the roost. Scared the **** out of me. Watched all the birds fly away while BBs came raining down.   :banghead:
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Been there, done that!

Keep after 'em!

Bisch

Offline ROSSBOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
I have been trying myself for my first turkey ever, was out last week and had a jake and short beard at 20 yds, but was looking for a better bird. I have three Saturdays left to hunt, so hopefully you and I can gettir done. Good luck!
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” -Fred Bear

Offline Docdevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I am not a professional turkey hunting guide but I knew a great one once.  I have called in 15 toms and two jakes for friends in one season.  I have called birds in for bows.  Just called 5 jakes in for my cousin Monday before last.  The thing you notice is I am not saying I have ever called one in for myself.  The truth is I have many times and some really nice toms.  Putting it all together so you can call and seal the deal is tough.  I would recommend getting a budy involved in the process.  My cousin and I first hunted turkeys together 34 years ago.  I have hunted them pretty hard ever since.  He had not always had the time and at 49 he took his first with a bow(he should have let me take him again sooner, LOL).  Stay in the blind or good cover and have the budy call from behind ten to 15 yards.  I carried my shotgun the other day just as a backup for my cousin's shot, he dropped him in his tracks, so when one of the remaing jakes went to peck the down bird I took it and we doubled, but me with the shotgun.  Our next goal is both uf us with bow on mature toms.  When I say good cover look for between brush or fallen tree and more cover behind where you have a little bit of mobility, the blind is great but like in beyondmyken's instance it may not be in the perfect spot every time.  One other suggestion is if you have hens in front of you and if they are clucking and yelping when you yelp try getting more aggresive too, and by that I mean excited.  Also don't be afraid to do the same set up you did but try in the afternoon while hopefully your competition hunter is somewhere else.  Hopefully you will get one without any further disapointment.  But you never know the guy that got that bird may be the very one that would love to call the next one in for you to get with your bow. I know I would call one in for anyone that was just polite when they asked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©