3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A master at work - my Dave Johnson "Ye Snowy Archer" has arrived (pics on page 4)  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks great!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, Alan, how does she shoot?   :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful  riser wood and great specs.

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, Dave, she really spits out an arrow - I was surprised at her speed.  While the feel is a little different from my string-follow bows she is well-behaved at the shot with a slight vibration of the string much of which may get tuned out and I'm sure will disappear with string silencers.  Accuracy (on my 7 yard in-the-garage range) is good and in fact I shot a few this morning before heading to work.  If I do my part she is most willing to do her's - and she looks rather striking doing so.  I was working on nock point last night and will try to finialize tuning this weekend as I hope to take Clara to the bow range so she can shoot "long distance" after being inspired by the event at Baltimore...
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Clara sure did enjoy Baltimore!  We miss her (you too   ;)  ) She is such a delight. Ellen often mentions that she had thought of Clara during the day while she would be doing something. I know she is a huge blessing to you and Rita.

Your DJ bow is striking in appearance.  I know you'll enjoy shooting it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
Extrememly nice

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautifully crafted, and very nice choices all the way around.  Enjoy!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
That is a beauty. "Ric O'Shay" has two of Dave's bows and swears by them. Congrats on yours. Good shooting and "Keep'Um Sharp".  :thumbsup:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Probably one of the nicest Hill style bows I have ever seen.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!  That is very classy.  Besides the praise for this bow and bowyer the question thats begging to be ask is what are the characteristics of Eastern Red Cedar?  One lam of yew and multiple ERC.  Never heard of it being used, but I am cheechako!

Really a sharp side profile look.  I prefer  darker lams compared to bright actionboo or bamboo.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Chromebuck - Here is what Dave says about red cedar.

"Red cedar bows have great response, are very light in hand and have been proven to have superior cast without a lot of hand shock. Many bowyers prefer other woods simply because it is so expensive to find clear pieces of cedar that do not have any knots or pins, but the rewards far outweigh the additional costs involved in producing a cedar longbow."

I have two of Dave's bows and would not take for either.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chromebuck - I have two bows with ERC lams this beauty from Dave Johnson and the other a Hill-style blank I finished from Mike at 7 Lakes Longbows.  I also have two bows with bamboo and I must say I have been very impressed with the feel and performance of the ERC.  

If you like Hill-style bows you are missing out if you do not have a Dave Johnson ERC longbow.  I have no doubt you will be impressed.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you gentlemen.  Again, very nice rig!

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Scott E. Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
I got to see both Alan's and Hatrick's bows at the Baltimore shoot and they are both gorgeous. Although I wasn't able to shoot either bow, I was still impressed enought to call Dave and place an order. Should be here in about three months. God bless, Scott.
Humility is to make a right estimate of one's self. Charles Spurgeon

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Scott.  I will look forward to seeing your bow here on Tradgang and in person in Baltimore next year...

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Scott, I have to apologize again for you not getting a chance to shoot my bow. Since I just turned 60 I'm going to blame it on a dumb senior moment. Glad you're taking the plunge anyway and ordering a DJ. Love to see some pictures once it arrives.

Great seeing you and Tom at Baltimore. Maybe we'll run into each other at Sawmill?

Dave
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Scott E. Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
Dave, your forgiven. I'm know what you mean about those senior moments. Your recommendation means as much if not more than actually shooting the bow. Take care my friend and God willing I'll see you at Sawmill. Scott.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
Dave is starting to put the finish on my new bow,won't be long now.Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline Scott E. Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
Burt, Please post some pictures of your bow when you receive it. It will help make my wait a little more tolerable. God bless, Scott.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
I got home from work today and the bow was here. Very impressed with the workmanship.I'm whooped from work,so I only shot about 20 arrows out of it.She spits an arrow out pretty quick,draws and shoots nice and smooth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©