3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gobblapalooza 2013  (Read 2615 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gobblapalooza 2013
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Them wooden hens are mighty fine...I never got to use mine this trip but look forward to trying another IL bird on one. Thanks Joe Buck!

The next morning I was given a chance to hunt Jeff's blind. He wanted a different look he said...I think that he was making the  cow a widow. I think he knew there was something crazy going to happen and just wanted one of his camp mates a chance to experience the hay bale effect...it is a stress test and roller coaster all rolled into one. It is a prom date with a super model with no curfew....it is a oh well you got it.

I do not have much photo support, nor a dead turkey. I passed 3 different rio longbeards and have videos of them for the deposition should I later be committed to the rubber room. In a moment of certified lunacy I passed a Mariam jake I could have gigged with a cane pole and frog trident. In addition to video of Stubby at 30 yards with his buddy, the non bearded, full fan rio, I got memories and a free cardiology workup. When Nick came to get me he saw that look...like I just been picked up by aliens and violated.  I think he and Tippit had it planned...
Mike Davenport

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2013, 03:28:00 AM »
Meanwhile back at the ranch...... I did dishes. And stirred Mikes Gumbo.... Don't let it burn he said. I chose not to buy another tag. This gives me an excuse to go back after a Merriam at a later date!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
The next morning, I was sitting in a blind on a flat behind the farm looking east.  Before the sun came up there were so many birds gobbling, I just put my camera on video to get all the sounds. Unlike the hay bale blind, it took the birds about an hour to make their way up the flat.  What a show as there would be 2-4 strutting toms in each wave of hens.  I think I had 4 waves come by me with an occasional mmmmiss at a Tom.  My sharpening file got a good work out on this trip...did I mention turkeys are 50% air.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it  :rolleyes:  

First wave matching up...

The cool thing was I got to see a Tom breeding a hen.  Plus another Tom that appeared to be constipated as he was hunched up straining real hard.  I was about to run out and give him some Miralax when I realised he was just practicing  for that right moment with a hen  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Joe and I had done a little trading after our Louisiana Culinary trip.  He brought me a Zink Hen decoy that I really wanted try with my Ghillie suit and Waldrop chair set up since I had practiced and packed them for this trip.  I also had a couple of calls with me even one of Joey's Wooden Hen calls...but I didn't known how to make it work.  Everyone was kind enough to put up with my bumblings and ease my education down the road.  Come to find out I had chalk on both the striker and box of Joey's call   :banghead:   I've already talked to Joey about joining him next year just so I can continue the education of the Old Turkey Hunter!  Hope he can put up with me.  

Now I was ready to try it without a blind...even put some camo makeup on   :)    Although I didn't have any turkeys go by me, I really enjoyed trying to find an ambush spot and sit outside of the confines of a blind.  Maybe next year but I still had one more day to hunt.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
You guys sound and looks like a great time.  From someone who loves turkeys I really appreciate this thread.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Jeff , i think you got tremedous potential to win the Nebraska Open next year with my help. I love Mike's description of the "stress test and roller coaster ride'!!  I have been bowhunting turkeys since 94.....it's still stress test!!!

Jeff, one question? What in the heck is strapped on your bow? a soup bone?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Soon after getting back from the roller coaster/stress test, Nick asks if we want to go help Whip find his bird. Assuming we are gonna need to cover some ground I stuffed a few snicker bars in my kit and took a shot of day old coffee. This turkey trackin might be tough...after walking us through the story of a second bird giving him a go Joe casually says "Oh yea that was my second shot. The first one is laying there." We all nearly kicked him for holding out on us and were soon joined by Julian who had been putting the Cherokee sneak on a group of birds at Don's tank. We took some field photos and loaded back up. I was still jelly legged from the morning and darn happy for Whip and his blindless bird.

After eating leftover gumbo and hearing all the stories from the day, I woke up "Dirtnap" Dave and asked if he'd acompany me to the bale blind after offering it to others. He needed to do something besides do dishes and sleep...it was getting embarassing. Premature launch does him in again  :)

I had no idea what was in store. If I had I might have stayed back eating gumbo and listening to Dave snore. Instead we got dropped off in some real heat at 1230...7 hours with your best bud in a blind tests your friendship and your tolerance for the gumbo digestion process. Ask Dave...sorry killa. I got issues. Thanks for filming and hanging tough...
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
So here it is Saturday afternoon and the IL boys are starting to bake in the sun. 85 degress is hot...at least in this long spring. Enter the first group of birds...red heads, Mariam jakes. I told Dave I'd pass. He started twitching...I thought he was going to snatch my bow out of my hand and begin an assault. Thank goodness those birds jetted...we might have had an event on our hands and he would have needed to sell a kidney to buy another tag. Lord knows he wouldn't have asked his wife for the dough. Wait until she sees what that full body mount is gonna cost    ;)  

Finally we had 3 big toms working our way after filming and watching a group of hens dusting themselves. The second bird in line was a hoss. He looked like he had swallowed a basketball. We started calling him basketball among other names because he tormented us all afternoon. At about 5 they finally made their way to the blind, and I had a perfectly good neck shot. I love that shot. It's air or dead bird...this time it was air. My top limb of my 64" bow smacked it pretty good. My 12 yard chippy turned into a poop sandwhich real quick. Basketball moved to the other side of the field and started gobbling and strutting...I needed a therapist. All I got was Dave telling me I should have shot that jake. No seriously, he did his best to talk me off the ledge. Only a good friend sees you at your worst and then laughs with you at your stupidity. It wasnt the blinds fault or Nicks...it is a 68" blind. I am a 6'3" human whose light bulb doesn't always turn on.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
So after my meltdown we had a bunch of birds coming into the blind. They cross there right through on their way to the roost. I'd like to say I put it all together and made the big shot. I'd like to say I learn from my mistakes, too. Nope. This is the scene...so many redheads that I had trouble picking one out. Several hens there too with birds fighting and strutting and calling...

Spot picked. Draw. Thump. Blind again. Another arrow missing in the hay.

Near self disembowelment with a dirty broadhead, I managed to laugh about it a few seconds later. I only learn the hard way it seems and Dave was there to encourage me...he didn't even mention the jakes again. Good friend that Dave.

Finally with ONE arrow left I think it is over. I look up the road and proclaim to Dave "we got biddness" ANOTHER longbeard is strutting up the road with 8 hens. All the way to our lap at 5 yards...this time when I hit the blind he was close enough to run the 600 grain arrow through him. He ran off wings up and hurting. A quick call to Nick on the radio and we were done....except when I got out of the blind my Lazarus bird flew across the field and crashed into the coulee. Nick allowed me to give chase and I put another arrow in the bird. Finally the long day was over...I needed some serious reassurance of my first arrow. I was a little higher than where I was looking but was lethal enough. I just didnt give him enough time with one lung/liver I think. Again Dave was there to back me up and laughed at me when I told him I think Nick's birds are part zombie...they don't know they are dead!

Mike Davenport

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Joey,
That's my quiver a GN strap-on...but it is strapped to a Spike Elk Horn instead of my bow.  I use it as a side quiver but I can either strap it to the horn or bow.  You can also rotate the curved horn to fit your side bulge from skinny to roly-poly  :rolleyes:  

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
jeff, Now calling myself as having a PHD in Jimmiyrigging........that is IMPRESSIVE work you have there.

mike ..." disembowel  on dirty BH" that is hilarious.. We will hit it off next year..
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I still have a day & 1/2 more hunting to talk about...but I've been forging all afternoon.

Jumping ahead...

When we arrived and started getting our gear set for the first morning, I pulled out my two knives for the trip to show everyone.  One was a small caper with Springbok horn handle that had seen plenty of duty with bears & deer and my bare bone/no handles Hog pack set knife/stripper.

Springbok caper...

Hog Pack...

Nick said he'd like to talk about something for Ryan using one of the shed antlers Ryan finds.

Well after I got my First Turkey, I was walking on a cloud.  A Big part of my success was due to Nick...he really wanted me to connect and put me in the Hot Seat.  Now it was my turn to return the favor.  

Here's what I've been doing today.  Only quenched and just trying the fit before temper, finish grind, and pin/glue up.  When I was trying to come up with a style, I kept thinking about what a blacksmith traveling through Nebraska in the mid 1800's would do...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Wow!  That is a fantastic quiver idea Doc!

Of course, I am partial to antler work - especially elk antler!

Those blades are attractive as well - I be likin' that Springbok scale action!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Jeff, you're a Ninja turkey slayer for sure. Bear camp won't be the same without you. Glad to see you guys were beyond covered in birds, what a magical place to spend time with good friends. Sounds like alot of "launching" going on!

:archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Jeff, that's a great looking knife for a great kid. Me and Joey were saying that if the good old usa had half the drive and work ethic of Ryan, this country would be in a hell of alot better shape. All he did when we were there was work.

Great stories so far fellas. It's got me kinda missing the place.
One of my favorite days when I was there was sitting a whole afternoon in a blind with Marty. Not in no way wanting to steal yalls thunder but I think you guys that were there will appreciate this clip. Now Marty is down to his last arrow and not bird yet. I'm sore from laughing and then this happened.

sorry for the language but I was excited.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Last Day...

I went back to the honey hole blind but there were only a couple of birds in the roost.  Very slow morning and I still had a tag burning a hole in my pocket.

After lunch, I went to the blind near the barn yard where Dave shot his gobbler the first morning.  I got to set out "My Girl" new name for my decoy  :)   I wasn't in there more than a 1/2  hour before a hen walked by between My Girl & me in the blind.  Then I noticed 1-2-3 gobblers off to my right.  The hen was so hot she laid down at the feet of one of the gobblers...but the boys were so intent on seeing who was the most macho she didn't receive much attention.  The strutting  continued for 1 hour.  I got most of it on video.  My Girl seemed very lonely and couldn't catch the boys attention...until a little calf started playing with her.  It was the coolest video as he would come up to her, sniff, and jump away.  He finally tired of that game but went after the hen & three gobbler breaking up the party.  The hen ran off and one gobbler started strutting at My Girl.  Two ran off but the one came buy at 20 yards where I placed a log earlier.  My shot touched his front legs and chest feathers.  He shot straight up in the air...again just 50% air  :knothead:  

Right at dark I hit a long beard broadside going into the barn yard.  He walked slowly right under my blind @ 5 yards where I shot again hitting him in the wing going away.  Nick & I searched but no luck.  Now down to a very short early morning hunt as we needed to leave by 10am.

My Girl 10 yards in front...

First Tom off to the right 50+ yards...

Second Tom with hen just off to to the left...

Little calf that almost saved the day.  The video is hilarious (if I could just figure how to do You Tube)...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Morning came too soon as I was packing up late into the night.  This was going to be a short hunt from the barn yard and any male turkey was now in jeopardy!  Right after first light I had 6-10 hens milling around.  Then I saw a Jake with a stub beard.  At 15 yards my arrow was on it's way.  This time I missed the 50% air   :thumbsup:  

He went about 10 yards and expired...

I was using my Hidden Draw bow blind for the first time and it worked like a charm...

I think I accomplished about 10 years experience in 3 1/2 days with the number of birds & chances.  One more cool thing...My Jake had a Double Beard oops I mean double stub    :goldtooth:    

I can't thank the Klintworths enough for such a wonderful time.  Also a Big thanks to Joe, Julian, Mike, and Dave for putting up with me.

Last morning...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
PS:
Looking forward to my Sophomore year under to tutelage of joebuck  :D   I might even get my diploma early...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Yeah, you went from wet behind the ears raw newbie to seasoned pro turkey hunter in record time Jeff!  That's what a place like this will do for you.

It's not like these birds are pushovers - they are just as wise as you find anywhere else and will react to movement or anything little thing a bit out of place as fast as any.  It's just that the shear number of birds increases your opportunity rate exponentially.  

I have a little more to add to the tales, but am waiting on Julian to pick it up.  It really is his story to tell.  I just have to make sure he gets all the facts straight.  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
In the meantime, another note about gear.  I added two new decoys to my flock this year.  A pair of DSD's made the trip with me - a subordinate hen and a jake.  I really think the realism makes a huge difference when you get birds in close. The thrid decoy in the flock this year was an AvianX upright hen.

Saturday morning found me back at my little cedar tree hide out on the south end of the pasture.  But that morning almost all of the birds that came out on my side of the road stayed on the north end of the pasture and filtered up into the hills down there.  I did have a few hens come up my way, but no toms close by that morning.

Here is one of three hens checking out my DSD's and wondering why they won't follow her and her two girlfriends up the hill.  The Avian decoy is out of the picture here.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©