3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gobblapalooza 2013  (Read 2613 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gobblapalooza 2013
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Equipment:
I brought my Waldrop chair with me.  It is really comfortable especially for my old back (back surgery last July)...but sitting for hours on end literally & sliding to look out windows actually wore a saddle sore on my butt! The cushions that Dave & Joe lent me helped but the problem was the kept slipping off and didn't pad me well...perhaps cause I already had a sore butt.

Upon returning home, I found a great cushion that won't slide on the mesh Waldrop seat because the bottom is a rubbery surface.  Plus it has a very comfortable gel layer and is thin (1 inch) enough to keep you low in the saddle.  Hunt Comfort Topper a little more pricey than just foam @ $30.  They also started making one to fit my Lone Wolf hand climber which I picked up too.  Now the old Butt is happy.  Creature comforts are more precious with age  :bigsmyl:

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Congrats Jeff.     :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Jeff, was wondering when a knife pic would show up on this thread. Congrats to you and all the crew.

Chris

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Jeff, I have not heard your story from the last day! That's what happens when you bail on your campmates! Congrats on the second bird. I look forward to hunting with you next year    :campfire:  

*Pretty good group of guys to hunt with!
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm on my way out the door to head to our cabin.  Going to try for a WI bird, and then have a CRP field to get planted next week.  I want to leave you with one more picture, but will leave it up to Duckbutt to fill in the details.  This one is really more his story than mine - I was just the shooter.

I think that brings up almost up to date.  The scorecard reads:

Jeff - 2
Mike - 2
Dave - 1
Joe  - 2
That's a pile of turkey feathers already.

Julian ???
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Man o Man what a trip. Glad you guys did so well after we left! I enjoyed this trip so much!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Great stories guys!  I really enjoyed your pictures and highlights of your trip.  Congratulations to all of you!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Duckbutt...paging Dr. Duckbutt. You're needed at the campfire for a slacker that left early and needs a turkey fix   :goldtooth:
Mike Davenport

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
I'll get some stuff up tonight....promise.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Great stories and pictures, thanks for sharing and congrats. Sounds like an awesome place to share time with good friends.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Great stories from all, and a big congrats to all.  In one trip I am sure you saw more turkeys than I have seen in 20 years of turkey hunting up here in Maine, and we have decent populations. Jeff I don't think that is a hen with the tom to the left in your second picture.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Sorry I'm late with my tales, guys.  Didn't mean for it to work out this way.  

So day two rolls around and I'm in no hurry.  Since I think it's going to take hours for the birds to get from the roost to the tank, I sit in the truck and finish my coffee after dropping Joe off at his spot.  I lollygag down the draw as it's breaking light and my plan is to spend lots of time perfecting my setup.  Think about the sun, the wind, cosider all the directions they could come from etc etc.  There's really no cover close the tank so I know I'll have to use the decoys and calls to coax a bird over to the cedar choked canyon walls. I got this.

GOBBLE, GOBbble, Gobble, gobble...   Uh, OH!
There's a bird roosted real close to the tank and I'm standing out in the wide open.  I look quick for cover and the only option is a cedar tree that wasn't made for a bowhunter to hide in.  The sun will be shining right on me too.  Crap!  I'm pruning limbs with my Gerber saw to create some limb clearance so I can tuck into this tree a bit. Put the decoys out and hit the call.  I'm out of breathe and my mind is racing...knowing deep down this is going to be impossible.  When the bird rounds the bin, he's strutting and drumming like he's auditioning for a primos video.  I'll end this story quick just like that bird ended that hunt.  At 25 yards.....putt, putt. Busted.  He's gone.

I then move across the draw to the spot I'd intended to set up all along.  Thinking I'll still get a flock to roll in later in the morning...but they never show.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I stayed plenty late but figured I'd better go check on Joe.  When I got there, almost everybody was already there and listening intently.  Pretty good sign.  

When I heard Joe had killed a bird, I felt more pride than if it had been me.  I'd been fortunate enough to share in Joe's quest over the last couple of years and had seen him continue to go back to class and bust his hump to make this happen.  Nobody deserved it more and you could just feel the satisfaction on the wind.  At that moment, the trip status was upgraded to success.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I was convinced that enough time at the tank would prove productive.  I just needed to be there and ready when the flock showed.  After finishing up with Joe's bird and a quick bite to eat, it was back to the tank I'd go.  Standing agains't a cedar tree at the ready for 7 hours was a tough test, but I just knew that's what would give the chance.  By about 5pm, I hadn't had anything but hens come in and I was starting to get discouraged.  About 6:10, I looked East and saw a big gobbler and about 6 hens slowly feeding my way.  They were about 200 yards out but he was clearly checking out the DSD jake and hen. I let out a few soft yelps hoping to call the hens in if nothing else.

Those birds got to about 50 yards and that was it.  Stayed out there till it was time to go to roost.  Not sure if it was the gobbler that had busted me that morning or not, but I'd given this draw everything I had and came up short.  This ranch is loaded with turkey's but you can get all the "hunt" you want, that's for sure.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Nick and I looked at some spots that night to try to come up with a better game plan, but I finally just decided it was time to get in the blind and enjoy some birds a bit.  I love turkey hunting without the blinds but there's a fine line between being committed and foolish.  I didn't have any reasonable  game plan for the morning so I was very satisfied with the decision.  

I sat in the blind that yielded Mike his first bird and after seeing his footage from that kill, I was really excited about the possibilities.  A few gobblers crested the rise and with that early morning sun shining through tail feathers to create that heavenly halo glow effect, I was feeling confident.  One of the birds never moved my way, one got pulled by some hens in a different direction, but the last one looked like his hens would bring him by me.  As they closed the distance, though, they started jogging like they were late for something west of me.  As the gap grew between gobbler and hens since they were moving quick and he kept stopping to strut, he finally realized he would get left and decided to trot by my shooting lane.  And this, my fellow tradgangers, is the recipe for a mmmmmmiiiissss.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Congratulations guys, sounds like a great hunt!
-Jay

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Back at camp we had to say adios to Mike and Dirtnap Dave.  No fun but I could tell the situation at home and the long drive ahead was starting to weigh on'em.  I don't have to describe Mike's enthusiasm because it's as infectious in real life as it is here on the forum.  We have many of the same bowhunting dreams.  A quick story on Mike.  He and I figured out that we almost wound up on the same dream hunt together that's scheduled for a ways out.  He asked me why I wasn't going and I confessed that as bad as I wanted to go, I really couldn't justify spending the money right now.  Without giving it any thought, he said well, if something changes, you can have my spot.  That's Mike Davenport....I'll leave it at that.  
Dave, what a stealthy surprise he turned out to be.  He slow cooks on you until you realize he's one of the humblest, funniest guys you've ever shared camp with.  Hated to see those guys go.  Sure enjoyed watching their enjoyment of this hunt and camp, though.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
After lunch, Nick and I did some running and gunning.  This has become a tradition for he and I now and although low on odds, it's high on fun!  There's also almost always some real cowboy work to be done when you're riding around like rounding up a cow that's gotten out of a fence or something.  I sit at a computer for a living so this stuff is good for my soul and I drink it up when I can get it.  

We snuck in an set up on two gobblers at one spot and weren't able to call them up.  Then, we saw a strutter on a steep hill that looked stalkable.  After taking off my shoes and closing to a good distance, the hen we didn't see busted me.  Oh well.

Back at camp in time to get in a blind for the afternoon.  That's when Joe informs me that he wants to join me in the blind and run the video camera.  At first I thought, how in the world can I shoot a turkey out of a blind with Big'Ol Joe in there too, but he said...."Mike and Dave did it."  Since that was a fact, I couldn't argue, and started to warm up to the idea of some good film of me and Mr. Longbeard.

Since I was the only guy left in camp without a bird, everyone was warm to the idea of me getting what had been the hottest blind for the week.  Ironically, it was 50 yards from my favorite blindless spot from last year...not bitter but needed to throw a bit of foreshadowing out there.

When it was time to head out, Joe had his bow.  Noticing my attention to it, he said it would be a good idea if we had to finish one off.  Again, couldn't argue with that statement as there had been some of that required through out the week.

We sat in that tiny hot sweatbox of a blind for hours and nothing but hens came close.  After seeing a few big boys head to the roost via far off routes, the outlook was starting to look pretty grim.  Joe even said at one point...."uh, Julian, don't look like its gonna happen, buddy."  Then we see three Toms come walking towards us FROM the roost...kind of backwards behavior here.  Then, one can't figure out how to get through the fence and they hang up at 50 yards.  This would be a 5 yard shot from my old favorite spot....just sayin.  Our hopes are up but they change their mind after the fence struggler gives up and they all head back in the other direction.  A few minutes later some jakes show up and Joe whispers THE question.  "Are you interested in shooting a jake?"  Instinctively, I say no.  I don't have any problems with anybody shooting a jake but I've never had the desire with bow or gun....don't know why, it's just me.  I could tell you some funny stories related to that policy over the years but that will have to wait for another campfire.  As the jakes hang close and more show up, Joe finally says something about wanting to kill a Merriam and not really minding if it's a jake.  I don't say anything, but think back to his explanation about bringing the bow to the blind.  Hmmmmmmmm....  
As Joe was looking out of the back window and was turned away from me, I raised my bow and shot a jake.  He spun back around barking "what happened what happened?"  He was tickled pink when we saw the bird crashing down and we realized no follow up should be needed.  

Now, settled into the satisfaction of a punched tag, Joe starts getting his bow ready.  I don't mind, really, jakes are all over us at this point.  Well, he makes what looks to be a great shot on one that we think is a Merriam. The bird looks plenty hurt and though he disappears from sight into the cedars, we think the recovery will be a cake walk.

After the action subsided we called Nick on the radio and started looking for Joe's bird.  We saw plenty of blood and figured we'd see the bird quickly.  After a couple hundred yards of blood, Nick and Jeff showed up to help.  We were starting to worry when we tracked it all the way to the next canyon.  Nick then hollered..."got the bird but he's alive.  Everybody get ready."  I went to the bottom of the canyon and we played ping pong with this upright bird until he finally flew over my head and as he was losing altitude, lit on the face of the opposite wall of the canyon.  I could tell he couldn't move to fast so I sprinted to him and put an arrow in him.  Jeff was able to climb above him and sent one down hill that was the final nail.  The sun was setting on the perfect hunt.  

Jeff after sending the final arrow into the bird

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Jeff and I get up to this jake that is now kabobbed with everyone's arrows and realize he's got an awfully beautiful full fan for a jake.  And he's got 1" spurs....uh, Joe, that ain't no jake my friend!  He had beard rot and we just took him for a jake since he was mixed in with all those other birds I guess.  

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »

Although Joe did get in my blind and shoot my bird, I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I've got something to razz him about forever, now!....and the dirty little secret is I only razz people I really like.  So, Dirtnap, Mike, Jeff, Had a blast, fellas.  Can't wait to share a camp again some day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©