3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gobblapalooza 2013  (Read 2619 times)

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gobblapalooza 2013
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I'm not going to say there was a short lull because there always seems to be something to watch on this ranch.  I was entertained by a couple of cottontail until all of a sudden I heard a gobble right behind me.

I peered out the back of the blind and noticed a lone Gobbler in full strutt. But he was on the other side of one of the fences constructed to guide Nicks cows.  He was so close I could hear his wing feathers dragging the frost kissed ground.

This went on for a long time. Or at least it seemed like a long time. Maybe 30 min or so. I hadn't been able to get comfortable in my stool I had brought along so I had forgone sitting on it and was just sitting on a pad I had brought on the ground. My leather boots had trapped the cold against my feet so I had taken them off. So... hear I set on this pad... on the ground.. listening to this tom strutt behind me. I had my bow laying next me and could be ready in a quick moment if need be. Well it happened.

The tom decided to duck the fence without letting me know first. I was tucked back in the corner of this blind and this tom came from directly behind me. I caught movement and grabbed my bow. With the angle he came in I didn't see him until he was probably 10 yards. By time I got my bow up and drawn he wasn't happy about something. He was leaving. My arrow flew just right of the bird and he didn't stick around to see what that brightly colored stick was.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
So there I sat. Looking at the pink fletching sticking out of the dirt. I replayed the shot in my head and realized I didn't really pick a spot. I shot at the whole bird. He was moving and I hardly ever shoot at a moving animal.

I decided I needed a little breakfast so I dug into my pack and had myself a cliff bar and a banana. I was washing it down with some water when I looked up and saw a gobbler coming from the direction the three strutting toms. He was walking up a cattle trail that lead him straight to my blind.

My mind was going a hundred miles a second. Before I knew what was going on I had my bow in my hand had repositioned myself in my blind and had started to draw.

I made a little putt sound with a call I had slipped in my mouth just to stop him. It worked perfect. He stopped quarting to slightly. There was one feather out of place just where I wanted to put my arrow. That was the spot I focused on.

I drew anchored and released. My arrow struck the tom just a little above the spot I was looking at. He went down instantly. I had spined him.  I hate when I have an arrow in an animal and it hasn't expired yet. I quickly drew a second arrow and sent it on its way. Not sure of the results. I knocked a 3rd and sent it down range as well. Soon the bird had given to ghost when his head up underneath his body.

I had one arrow left in my quiver and radioed to Nick to let him know I had a bird down. He soon arrived on his tractor and told me to go ahead and get out of the blind and get my bird. This is what I walked up on.

I was all smiles! I had traveled all the way from Illinois and had just killed my first turkey with a traditional bow. I had always thought my first bird would have been an eastern but turns out it was a Rio. I don't have the words to tell you how excited to have put my first bird down.
Nick was more than happy to snap a few photos of me and my first turkey.

"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Man, there's alot happening here    :archer2:  

OK so I have an arrow through one bird on video and had another cruise into my setup. It was walking even faster than the first bird...so I passed him up. After a brief talk with Nick via tractor to blind (so the birds won't know what's up) I decided to stay. I had another tag and I thought I had a dead bird, so I just chilled.  

Wasn't long before a big ol tom started my way with about 8 hens in tow. I mean he was so purty with the sunlight hitting his feathers. A jake was tagging along as well and would strutt when the ol boy wasn't looking. With the camera rolling the bird strutted right into my wheelhouse at about 20 yards...and I mmmmissed. On camera there might be a bad word said. I hope to add the video and delete the sound, but my apologies if I don't. Off camera he strutts AFTER the miss and gives me another go. 22 paces and mmmmmissed again. Let's just say I was outa ammo and he was outa there!

So finally Nick and David show up, as I had easedropped on David telling Nick dead bird in sight on the radio. I had good blood but he wasn't where I thought he piled up. It looked like he made it just far enough to make it down in the coulee. Still confident, Nick went down ahead of me and said "I found him!" and then the worst thing: "He's still alive!" Tried as I might to get another arrow in that bird I just couldn't. Too much junk in the way. He was hurt bad and later when I looked at the wound I couldn't believe he was still was alive! Thankfully Nick picked up a stick and ended the drama and I had my bird. My only regret was not getting to him earlier, but I truly thought he was stone dead! Maybe he just needed more time? After all of that I was spent...so much adrenaline, so little time. It was great to have my pal Sheltoncreeker from home there to celebrate my second ever Rio (first with a trad bow) and his first turkey ever with a longbow. In the old days we might have knocked back a few...as it is now-adays we'll just toast some sweet tea...or that awful green tea that Dave drinks  ;)

*My Rio...I am a happy dude!

*My buddy Sheltoncreeker and I

*Nick and I...this man knows his ranch and his birds!
Mike Davenport

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Sounding good so far Boys. It is hard to tell someone how many turkeys live on that Ranch and have them believe you.

Julian, you make it out to the draw with the water tank this year?

Congrats to all. great hunt.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Man, what a trip.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Simply amazing guys.  Are all the birds there Rios?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
No Dirtybird, Merriams, Rios and hybrids of the two. All of them are beautiful!!!

We got back and took a count of the morning...I will leave it at that as there are some tales to tell between here and there. This was the first morning...I thought "My God what's next 2 days gonna be like?"

Here's a pic of the IL boys and their birds. I am the goodlookin' one without all the fur  :)  

Mike Davenport

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
That place looks incredible, congrats guys!    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
This is a bad thread for an addicted turkey hunter!   :help:    :help:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the IL boys and their birds. I am the goodlookin' one without all the fur   :)  

:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  TURKEY DYNASTY

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
:laughing:        :laughing:        :laughing:    TURKEY DYNASTY [/QB][/QUOTE]

I hadn't met David before.  But I'm pretty sure that in reality he was really a Robertson traveling under an assumed name.  Maybe he was worried about turkeys ruinning his reputation as a duck hunter.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
My bird ended up being a 3 year old with a 10 inch beard and spurs over an inch. I was so happy...I couldnt wait to make a gumbo of that bird and fry up some. As it was I had a little critter trouble. We left the birds for just a few minutes to take care of some culinary prep and one of the barn cats climbed into the front end loader of the tractor and ate HALF my turkey...not the guts or the feathers but the sweet breast meat and thigh. Nick was apalled and was adamant that I needed to kill another bird in this one's place. I told him I would...'cause I had another tag    :D  
I think this is my buddy. I petted him on the way out of town to show no hard feelings. He is ugly...maybe that's why I like him. We got something in common. We are not easy on the eyes and we like to eat turkey   :)  

Well that's all of my tale until the second half of the show. I got some birds here in IL to roost after work, and I have my pal Kip Manual on the way to find out how a cajun kills an IL turkey. I am assuming with some scattered french words and a sharp arra, fo' sho'!
Mike Davenport

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Hey Joe it looks like you boys were HAPPY...HAPPY...HAPPY...   :readit:    :knothead:    :laughing:

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Mike , i see you met Nick's trick cat...ole Nibbles....his trick is to eat your bird so you have to buy another bird......them boys in nebraska aint slow.    thank goodness he passed on my jakes
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
TURKEY DYNASTY......hmmmm now theres a thought. No joe unfortantely I'm not related to the Robertsons. If I was I would have for sure bought that second tag! I would have to say I was definatly HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Hello Mike and all the other guys David,Whip.Looks like a great trip loads of fun.Mike all packed up and headed out very early Wed. morning.I will get to hear the stories in person.See you soon.Kip

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm a turkey hunting fanatic and this thread is wonderful.  I'm glad all you guys had fun no matter the outcome.  Of course, with that seeing that many birds how could one not come away from that place feeling blessed to be there.  Keep it coming guys I'm really enjoying this.   :readit:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Great hunt fella`s. Thats a dream hunt of mine. Gobblers with white in their fan. RC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Simply amazing!  Congrats    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Batten:

Julian, you make it out to the draw with the water tank this year?
I spent most of my hunt in Don's draw.  Hopefully, I can get to some stories tomorrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©