3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which spine? Need advice!  (Read 254 times)

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
Which spine? Need advice!
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Hey there guys!
I wanted to pick some brains. I am planning on switching from carbons to aluminum for this fall and want to practice all summer long with the new arras. So here's the problem, all I have ever shot is carbons and I don't even know where to start on aluminum spine. I have looked at some charts but would prefer advice over a chart. I am looking to get the most gpi possible(one of the reasons for the switch). Currently I shoot a bw pchx 57@28 and I draw 26.5. I am looking to have a 200gr two blade upfront and am not afraid to add weight behind the inserts either. What would you guys suggest? 2016s? I am also interested in 2018s for the gpi they sport but fear they could be too stiff.. Could possibly leave them long but I don't care much for arrows sticking out 7+ inches at full draw.. Throw some suggestions out there I am eager to learn and excited to shoot something heavier than a front loaded carbon (could just never get weight tubes to work..)
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which spine? Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
You have a recurve that is cut past center and you want 200 gr. up front I would think a 2018 would be a good choice.With 200 gr. up front that would give you around a 600 gr. + or - arrow.You don't really need that heavy of a head unless you want it.I shoot 2018 with a 145 gr. head out of my 53# to 58# recurves and have a arrow weight around 545 to 550 grs.With aluminums you don't really have to do all the things you do with carbons to get the weight up.And I'm not convinced that front loading an arrow works well with wood or aluminum.It works great with carbon arrows but I find you can't compare the two materials.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Stu's Calc says 2016 @ 28" w/ a 200gr tip is just about perfect
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
TTT I'm seeing conflicting suggestions. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
I have a hard time believing 2018 would be too stiff because of the 200 grain head.  In fact, 2018 would be my first choice in shafts if I was to start trying different sizes.  

You might try to pick up a 1/2 dozen with two 20176's, two 2018's, and even two 2020's and play with them.  Not a ton of money involved and you would have live testing instead of guesses.  I've filled stanger orders.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Agree with above post, but I wholeheartedly disagree about the carbons, it is easy to get an arrow weighing what you want with carbons and it has been proving time and time again about high FOC. Even the major arrow manufacturers are now making carbons with weight forward technology. A heavy carbon will also out penetrate a fat aluminum as well, aluminum are not durable and noisey or at least have a distinct noise at the shot that to me is noisey. Just my opionion but way harder to accomplish what you want to do with aluminum than with carbons. Shawn
Shawn

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
I'll bet with 200 gr up front a 2018 will be the minimum. The 2020 is probably going to be the arrow of choice for you.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice!! I definitely like what I have heard! Thanks again everyone!!

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
2020 in my humble opinion with a head starting 175 grain and higher.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
2016's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©