3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather question??????  (Read 812 times)

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather question??????
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Can you get two 5" cuts out of a full length feather, or do you have to go to 4"?  I've fletched my own arrows for years, but never cut or burned my own feathers.  I've been considering getting a chopper or burner and was just curious.  I shoot 3 fletch 5" shields, but am considering 4 fletch 4".  Any opinions welcomed, and appreciated.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather question??????
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
The definitive answer is....sometimes. Us frugal types will find a way. If you splice feathers, you wanna save your extra pieces anyway. They're also good for kids arrows (smaller) feathers. Two 4" per full length is fairly easy to do.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
It use to be that all the feathers you bought were the first three pointers, then the answer to your question would be yes! However today they use most all of the wing feathers, and like Tom said now its sometimes. You will get a varity of lengths in a package, some will some won't.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Agreed.  Sometimes you can get two, but the quill will narrow considerably toward the back on the feather cut from nearest the feather tip.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  1 more question.  I've decided to try 4" 4 fletch.  What style do most of you prefer in this configuration.  Shield? Parabolic? or Banana?  Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©