3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting with a beard  (Read 723 times)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting with a beard
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Just beginning to shoot traditional bows and anchor just under the corner of my jaw.

The string brushes my nose but also wants to take some whiskers with it also.

Am I possibly doing something incorrectly or is there a remedy for this irritating occurence each time I release?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting with a beard
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Split finger or 3 under?  I have healthy beard and no issue but do get the tip of nose occasionally.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Just a thought - don't know if you cant your bow but when I'm bareshafting and holding my bow vertically with no cant sometimes I brush my beard a little. When I get through bareshafting and go back to normal shooting style with a canted bow I don't have that problem. So, you might try canting your bow a little more?

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
All under, but ring finger is the first to release I think. I actually have a rather short beard.

Just getting accustomed to sound of the slap on the arm and the feel of the string brushing my nose.

I just need to keep practicing but don't want to flinch while I am doing it.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Also, in attempt to keep a consistent posture I stand straight up and spread my shoulders far apart and do not cant the bow at all.  

That might be a good suggestion.  I will try it.

Doug

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I shoot split finger, middle finger anchored at corner of mouth and a slightly canted bow and have no hair removal problems!   :bigsmyl:  

Steve

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
For the arm slap try putting a little more bend in your arm that's holding the bow. I just shaved because it irritates my face when I draw to my anchor. Plus my wife hates it.  :p
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
One time after an especially painful release I noticed a whisker with a chunk of meat on the end that was sticking in my brass nock! I think I even saw a wisp of steam coming off it, could of been tears, but I like to think it was steam.

I always had beard/moustache wear from shooting a tab. Not so much since I switched to a glove.

It's a rite of passage, wear it like a badge and be proud you shoot a stickbow!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
One time after an especially painful release I noticed a whisker with a chunk of meat on the end that was sticking in my brass nock! I think I even saw a wisp of steam coming off it, could of been tears, but I like to think it was steam.

I always had beard/moustache wear from shooting a tab. Not so much since I switched to a glove.

lol!!! (That or just use tie-on nock points...)
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:

OK OK  but what about flinching??   :confused:

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Ive got a full beard. I haven't had much issue. Shoot three under index finger at the corner of my mouth for anchor. I do cant a little. I keep my mustache trimmed. It has got in the way in the past.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Doug,

I shoot with a partially trimmed beard/stach and don't have any issues.  I did have issues with my nose getting bloody when I first got back to traditional a few years ago but not any more.  The issue with me is of course form with the main thing being a slight overdrawing of the bow.  Once I backed off about a half an inch I stopped snapping my nose and my accuracy improved substantially.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Doug,

I shoot with a partially trimmed beard/stach and don't have any issues.  I did have issues with my nose getting bloody when I first got back to traditional a few years ago but not any more.  The issue with me is of course form with the main thing being a slight overdrawing of the bow.  Once I backed off about a half an inch I stopped snapping my nose and my accuracy improved substantially.
Pete....currently I am only pulling 30 lbs and I thought about the possibility of over drawing the bow because I can.  This afternoon I practiced only bringing the string to my nose (62" recurve) and I had no further incidences with nose slap or catching my beard.  Now I have to learn to shoot with a slightly shorter draw but I am just getting started so no biggie really.

Thanks for all of the help!

Doug

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I have a full beard and anchor to the point where my ear meets the top of my jaw and have never had a problem with the bow string. I think it may just be a form issue especially if you aren't getting your elbow high enough and in line.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Sounds like maybe an overdraw issue and scuffing your face a lot more than you should.  Could also be a nock catching hair.  I don't have a full beard, but my anchor and string definitely land on it.  I anchor tumb in jaw so I get back on my face some.  I know the string can brush it and my mustache as I hit my nose from time to time. I shot 3 under right now but also have shot split a lot.  I keep the face hair cut to about 1 1/2" max most of the time now and don't ever recall once pulling a hair.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
yea shave

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I sometimes have problems with the bowstring throwing my beard up into my left eye!!

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
I had a buddy who launched his pipe down range upon release. Nearly took half his teeth with it!

dougedwards, I don't believe I ever flinched but I've double clutched a lot. It usually happens when I try to think about some part of the shot. Just the other day I was thinking about all this "deep hook" stuff and let a pretty nasty one fly. I have to shoot without thinking or bad things happen. The arrow wants to fly to the mark, I just have to let it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
I would suggest shooting split and and anchoring with the middle finger on a molar behind the corner of the mouth. "You never have to cut it 'cause stops by itself".  Don't worry about the beard worry about a hole in your cheek from too much shooting. I hate when the string snags a nose hair or an eyebrow hair.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by dougedwards:

Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Doug,

Pete....currently I am only pulling 30 lbs and I thought about the possibility of over drawing the bow because I can.  This afternoon I practiced only bringing the string to my nose (62" recurve) and I had no further incidences with nose slap or catching my beard.  Now I have to learn to shoot with a slightly shorter draw but I am just getting started so no biggie really.

Thanks for all of the help!

Doug [/b]
I don't think I'd recommend short drawing to your nose.... I used the tip of my nose for a partial anchor point for years to get around a cross eye dominance factor, but it cost me dearly in consistant accuracy.... When you short draw the bow, you are not getting your alignment correct, and it effects your ability to get good even back tension.... you'll find yourself creeping more

Everyone has a slightly different anchor point, but it needs to be determined at a point where your shoulder alignment is good.

Stand with your feet at shoulder width and your shoulders back with good posture. then hold both arms out at shoulder level in a straight line, and look down your bow arm...Then bend your string arm to your face without moving your shoulders or head at all. That..... is where your anchor point should be..... where exactly your anchor point hits on your face is going to be determined by the length of your fore arm....

after getting some proper instruction and my alignment corrected. My draw length grew 1.5". My consistency and accuracy jumped way up too.

shooting a bow with a bushy beard or a long mustache has its bad moments, and will definitely bring tears to your eyes on occasion..... trim the whiskers and you'll quit flinching.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©