3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: got my gobbler/someone to post pics  (Read 863 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
got my gobbler/someone to post pics
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Gobbler down just after sunrise this morning.  Need someone to post my photo for me here.

[email protected]   and I will send a photo your way.
Hill

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: got my gobbler/someone to post pics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
I cant do pics but look forward to seeing them.  Congrats!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
Me too!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Send me a pic to [email protected] and I will see what I can do.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Ok. I have sent an email reply.

I will post a story tonight. I hope all enjoy!!!!!
Hill

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Congratulations again Justin! Here's the pic you texted me but let's see more.

Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Congrats on the bird:) Cant wait to here the story

Heres your pic

- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like a great bird!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Congrats!!RC

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
congrats  :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Way to go sir!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Very nice,    :campfire:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Waaaay to go Justin!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Congrats on the bird!
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Here we go boys. Thanks for posting these.

This has not been the best season for me. The birds really didn't cooperate very well. Sort of.

I've known about a small flock of turkeys on a farm for quite a while but have never been able to get them to respond to my calls, come in for a shot, you know how it goes. Tried a lot of blinds and different setups. On this farm, it never worked for me. Until now.

I found 2 hens BEDDED in dense shelterbelt on the afternoon of this past Thursday. They were not in the trees, they were snuggled into the grass, staying out of the wind. I nearly stepped on them and that's how I discovered them. The two took off running through the trees on a cow trail. Hey, at least I knew there were turkeys here.

Next mornings winds were forecast for 30 MPH. For those of you not familiar with S.D., that is pretty much the norm here. Ya get used to it.
Anyway, the alarm went off at 4:00 am and I got up and much to my surprise, there was very little wind. I had pre-determined my approach the night before and knew that if I went too close to the woods, I would risk busting the birds out of there and my hunt would end before it started.  Been there. Done dat.

I drove about 1/2 mile away from the woods in the darkness of pre-dawn, with every step thankful that I had not believed the weatherman this date because those guys screw a bunch of stuff up. I set up my Double Bull T-2 blind about 120 yards from the woods where I suspected the birds were roosted and where an fenceline intersected the cow pasture. Upon my arrival I got all set up. It wasn't pretty with no flashlight, but it was quiet and I was confident. I had 2 hen decoys and a jake about 15 yards off the front of my blind. I crept back to the blind and settled in for the best hunting experience of my life. C'mon daylight.

There were no crow calls and no early morning gobbles that most of us are accustomed to and when 6:15 am rolled around, I began to worry. Maybe I am in the wrong spot. Wrong county? Maybe it's too early yet or perhaps all the hens have been bred and the flocks have broken up?  Maybe those two hens were a fluke. I waited. And worried. I watched as 6 whitetails walked out of the end of the woodlot and crossed the gravel road into thick bedding area. They were clueless to my presence. I thought to myself "that's a first!!"  I waited.

At 6:35 I saw a hen leave the woods and enter the cow pasture. She was alone. I tried to melt my black sweatshirt into the fabric of my blind. The T2 has a huge window in front. If you use a short bow and hunt by yourself, try one. You won't be disappointed. I was still and very nervous. All of a sudden a gobbler runs out into the cow pasture from outa nowhere and starts dancing circles all around the hen. He probably did 5 laps around her, in front of her, behind her. She just stood there. When he was done with his showing off, she tried to walk ahead but he stopped her by getting in front of her again. She jumped up, over him or around him, I couldn't see for sure, but here comes 11 more hens and a large tom bringing up the rear. They spend lots of time walking around putting around. THe toms showing their stuff. STRUT. The hens blowing them off.

I am worried that they are going to leave the field without seeing my decoy setup. I call to them. The wind picks up. What the????!!! THey do their little dance for about 5 minutes. I call again and the lone hen that first came into the field spots the decoys. She runs over to the set up and almost jumps in my blind. Literally she was maybe 10 inches from the fabric. Very cool. Kind of.

The other birds follow suit. Single file all the way to the setup. All the birds mingling amongst the imposters, the sniper sitting quietly in the darkness of my space age shelter. Waiting for the right moment.  My grip tightens on the bow.

The toms are going bzerk on the jake decoy. Pecking it. knocked it down then stepped on it and just looked at it. One tom to my right and one to my left. Hens and dead decoys in the middle. THe greatest show on earth!!!!!

THe larger tom got nervous and attempted to push the lone hen further out and away from the rest of the birds. Away from the blind. Away from me. My grip nearly crushed the mesquite riser on my 85# Texas Comanche, my heart pounded and I didn't know whether to cry tears of joy or tears of sorrow, but that moment that we all know so well when something truly magnificent is about to happen came upon me.

When the gobbler was almost too far the right of me and my arrow crowding the fabric of the Double Bull, I took a deep breath and watched as the gobbler made a full circle, as if saluting his foe, accepting that the gig was almost up
Hill

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
congratulations   :clapper:

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Congrats!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
he spread his fan far and wide and turned his head away from me, exposing a bullseye on his butt. He paused. I drew the 900 grain leopardwood arrow tipped with a 190 grain grizzly broadhead to anchor and when my fingers hit the corner of my mouth I said to myself "Mr. Turkey, you've been had."

Then I watched in silence as the arrow through the air and covered the 14 yards and found its target before I could blink, smashing dead center through the rear of the bird, burying 3/4 of the shaft up through his chest. Right to the feathers. Only the nock and a few inches of shaft visible. He took off and the other hens and lone gobbler yelling to him, "you idiot, you're gonna get us killed!!" In a single file fashion and in short order they sprinted the distance of the cow pasture and down the gravel road and then cut a corner right through the abandoned farmstead.  All was quiet as the dust settled. The sun not yet creeping over the tree tops. My grip relaxed and I laid down the bow and gathered my thoughts.

The buster ran 100 yards as he followed the flock back into the roost. I probably looked like a clown chasing a bull as I chased after them. Just before I almost lost sight of them I watched the mighty warrior attempt to follow the flock through a break in a woven wire fence. Luck was not on his side this day as he took his final breath and did a nose dive into the dirt. Shaft still protruding from his now lifeless body. Not even a breath as I approached him probably looking pretty ruffled myself.

I admired him for a few minutes before picking him up. Though not the largest bird, but the greatest memory of my hunting career. Shooting this elusive gobbler close to my boyhood haunts. They had escaped me numerous times in the past, but not this time. I picked him up by the feet as the last few drops of blood settled into the crook of his beak. His body already cooling as the sun shined down on him, making every feather in his lifeless body glimmer like gold in a miner's shaft.  I slung him over my shoulder and walked back to the blind, trying to trace the exact path on hard gravel that he had taken on his death run.

I gathered my things and loaded him in the rig.  I drove the 215 miles home, I periodically glanced over at my prize, riding shotgun in all his glory. The drive home would not be nearly as lonely. I got home, showed him off to the family. He weighed 24# and sported a 9" beard. Nearly a quarter of his fan was cut off as my razor sharp grizzly entered from the rear. I never found the missing tail feathers. Don't much care. This turkey has class. He is riding in style. My wife said what are WE going to do with him. I paused, only briefly, and looked at my pal. I thought he would look good on my wall in my office where I can see him often. I said, "we've got to get you town, clean you up a bit. We'll find an artist more talented than I and make you look as good as new. Then we can show you off a bit......"
Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©