3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there a non-horse equivalent to cordovan?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there a non-horse equivalent to cordovan?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I've been on more than one horse I'd have like to skinned myself!

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Well at least you didn't get roped into eating snail over there. The one I had tasted like an old eraser dipped in butter. I think it was actually a sea snail too. Rest of the food was pretty great.

I'm really happy to see lots of other friends of equine here, I was starting to think I'd gone soft before!

Oh and I had a great chuckle about the check book   :biglaugh:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I hear tell mule hide is at least half as good as cordovan.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Most folks in this country have love hate relationship with horses.  "Wild" horses are all over sections of this state.  Stallions stake out the limited waterholes and let none but their band in to drink.  The BLM has about 2000 just out of Reno, and will sell you as many as you want , cheap.  We tax payers pay to feed these unfortunates.  My daughter in law bought one, prisoner broke for $200.  Good little gelding.
There are "wild" horse advocates that happily let these critters over graze and gaunt, starving horses are the result.  There has to be a happy medium, but they have yet to fi d it.  I too believe food for the hungry is reasonable if done properly.  I lived i. The Orient and swore some meat I ate there meowed!
Sorry, but this is close to me as I belive we have political situation over shadowing real world problems.
  Cordovan is primo and go to a thrift store and get a pair of Italian shoes and make a tab from the tongue
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWD:
I hear tell mule hide is at least half as good as cordovan.
Now that is funny!   :)   (For those not in the know, a mule is half horse, half donkey.)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
They all end up as worm meal so get the most out of them as you can is the way I see it...What good is a dead horse besides feeding worms anyway?
 Now don't take it the wrong way I love Horse's but once dead they have no idea of what's happening anyway...It's kind of like a "doner" or a "cadaber" helping others with transplants     :rolleyes:    :deadhorse:

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
I have some horses use em for cowboyin here when needed and live to rope and train colts for people but I have rode some that need to be eatin not rode. I remember years ago a boot company here used mule hide as itis tuffer than cow or bull hide

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Roger, how could you? I love goats! Mudd your forgiven only if I am.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Have worked, riden, and trained horses all my adult life.  Have been a pleasure rider, working ranch hand and rodeo cowboy.  My wife makes a living training and riding and boarding horses.  The great equine is a friend and compainon, maybe even a healer.  But they are still a work animal.  Don't take me wrong, I have shed many a tear over the loss of a 4 hoofed friend/family member.
There are people that will starve one to death, rather than send it to slaughter.  With the horse slaughter in the US shut down, there are many horses dieing from starvation, neglect and abandoment.
So why not use what can be used and still honor our hoofed friends.
If I offended anyone......
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I agree with you, Jag to a certain extent. If I happened to go by a farm and he had just had a horse die or shot one that was lame or whatever I would be happy to use every part of it, as wasting it would be almost disrespectful.

Unfortunately I doubt this is how cordovan comes around in most cases...

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Some....Fabric softener, sugar, dog food, medicine, glue,etc etc are made with or a by product of horse, I find it odd for people to use the products of billions of other apparently "lesser" animals, but draw the line at horse etc. It makes more sense to me to put an animal to use than let it go to waste. When I lived in an AK Village I saw many a garments made from sled dogs that died, no sense in wasting a resource.

This is just my opinion, to each their own  :)
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
This is the same white buffalo/white deer conversation that we have on here every couple of months.  There is no logic in protecting or revering one species or individual over another.  There is also no reason why an individual can't choose to do so if he wants to.  As humans we are all inconsistent on one issue or another.  It is what makes us individuals.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
This is the same white buffalo/white deer conversation that we have on here every couple of months.  There is no logic in protecting or revering one species or individual over another.  There is also no reason why an individual can't choose to do so if he wants to.  As humans we are all inconsistent on one issue or another.  It is what makes us individuals.
Well said, everyone makes their own decision on what works for them
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Maybe we can get back to helping Safari Scott find some more answers to his question.

Scott there a lot of different leathers that will work well if you use some talc or corn starch on them to keep them dry and slick.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I like carodavan leather tabs. If I were to change I would defiantly try the PAC Tab from Saunders. One benefit would be a more consistent thickness. When I buy Carodavan tabs sometimes there is a difference in thickness.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Go to this website to find out how cordovan leather is made.  www.thetanneryrow.com
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
WOW!!!!!! $395 for a wallet.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Why not order some kangaroo leather and make your own tab?

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Yeah we did get a little off topic from what materials work to a theological discussion on the merits of using horse products   :eek:  

Anyway I think I might just make one with Kangaroo or goat, they should be pretty east to come by down here. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Take a piece of leather.  Wax it with a good paste wax (Johnson).  Iron with a iron on high.  Repeat waxing and ironing until you get the finish you like.  You are actually cooking the leather to harden it up some.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©