3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there a non-horse equivalent to cordovan?  (Read 874 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there a non-horse equivalent to cordovan?
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Damascus is goat hide, it's used a lot, and it seems to work well in a glove. It may not be as good as cordovan in a tab, but probably isn't bad. We may have to check that out.

Cordovan involves a lot of processing to get it so slick and durable. The cost of it is high and you may wait a long time. It was about 3-4 months wait the last time I ordered it. You may pay over $100 for a shell that will only make 12-15 tabs. That come out to about $7.00-8.00 per tab, not counting the cost of constrution, etc. A dealer has to struggle to keep their price down, but yet make a small profit.

:laughing:    :laughing:

Offline Spookinelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 01:36:00 AM »
If God didn't want us to make tabs out of horses he wouldn't have wrapped them in leather...  :deadhorse:
Bighorn 62", 58@ 29"
Hoyt Excel 66" 52@ 29"
Martin X-200 60" 48@ 29"
3 old Herters heirlooms

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 04:25:00 AM »
You live in Australia mate, stick to roo pound for pound the toughest leather you will find. I was talking to a customer of mine the other day who sells custom made race suits for motor cycle racing, his standard suits are made out of cow leather & his top of the range & best are made out of roo leather. He calls it the carbon fibre of the leather world! Best for abbrasion resistance.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
They are wrapped in cordovan, not leather ,please try to keep up   :saywhat:  

Originally posted by Spookinelk:
If God didn't want us to make tabs out of horses he wouldn't have wrapped them in leather...   :deadhorse:  
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Safari Scott:
Well at least you didn't get roped into eating snail over there. The one I had tasted like an old eraser dipped in butter. I think it was actually a sea snail too. Rest of the food was pretty great.
I'm half Scots, half French; my French Grandmother loved to remind me that Coq au vin-chicken in wine sauce-was made from the one that *didn't* make it across the road.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©