3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mysterious illness overcome!  (Read 461 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
mysterious illness overcome!
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
I don't know where to begin. My shooting during the last month or two has been at the very least demoralizing, embarrassing and just downrite laughable. I could describe it better were this not a family friendly forum. I couldn't shoot a grapefruit sized group at 10 yards and if it would of been deer season I would have thrown in the towel.

To stop the frustration and stop throwing my bows across the yard I took a week off. Fast forward to whittingham. I shot great, even on the knockablock course and flying discs. So far so good, still shooting great and it feels natural again. Don't know what was going on but it was scary.

Anyone ever hit an unexplained funk like that? Hope it never happens again.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: mysterious illness overcome!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Glad you got that shooting touch back, Izzy!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Never actualy experianced a "funk" Brother...

In general, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat! Such a decline in my shooting, is hardly noticeable at all...  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Sometimes taking a break lets you reset your brain.  I know my groups spread as I try to analyze my shot.  The more I think about the different aspects of the shot, the worse my shooting gets.  The worse my groups get the more I analyze my shot sequence and form.  A bad cycle.  Putting the bow down for a bit can help and let you stop thinking about it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I won't say I look forward to these slumps, but I always learn something from them.  Usually it's something I'm not aware of doing, like moving my head, and when I finally figure it out, then I'll notice it and can correct it much quicker if I start doing it again in the future.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Izzy what excatly was happening in your shooting? Not able to reach full draw or lack of concentration? Only real shooting slump ive gone through was Target Panic but I beat that. My shooting has improved tremendously from building a shot sequence and shooting with a clicker. It takes commitment but im so accurate now. 30yds or less if its an animal it better watch out! Not to mention on targets I shoot out to 80yds that really makes you perform well because if not your gonna miss by feet not inches.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I don't know what happened. At 1st I thought I was overdrawing and I could get a decent group if I bent my bow elbow but it didn't feel natural. Could have been some sort of tp. Whatever it was, all jokes aside it was pretty scary. That was the 1st time that happened in 8 years of trad shooting. It's good to be back.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Yeah, I've had that before. Fortunately it usually goes as quick as it comes. You mentioned overdrawing; that is what happened to me. Took a while to figure it out.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
IZZY glad your back in action, I firmly believe that at times our minds/concentration drift off while we are shooting which is a not good. I spoke with Joel Turner [CLICKERMAN] the other day for 40 minutes on the phone to help strengthen my shot. He brought forth several mental awareness issues that we all go through at times and made me think about the shot differently and let me say this from just 2 days of trying my new shot routine WOWWWWW. Stronger/steadier shot on a solid base with your concentration in the right place and best of all it was a free call. Thanks for your time Joel.    :bigsmyl:

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Yep! It happens every once in a while sometimes for a day sometimes for a week. I attribute it to overthinking.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
one out of 4 shots for me is funk (LOL)
Slickhead

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 01:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by SAVIOUR68:
IZZY glad your back in action, I firmly believe that at times our minds/concentration drift off while we are shooting which is a not good. I spoke with Joel Turner [CLICKERMAN] the other day for 40 minutes on the phone to help strengthen my shot. He brought forth several mental awareness issues that we all go through at times and made me think about the shot differently and let me say this from just 2 days of trying my new shot routine WOWWWWW. Stronger/steadier shot on a solid base with your concentration in the right place and best of all it was a free call. Thanks for your time Joel.       :bigsmyl:    
I see Joel and his boy from time to time at the sportsmans club out here.  He has his little guy using a clicker.  He told me "they get target panic just like us"
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Izzy- It happens to me once and while.  I liken it to like when use to work out and just have those times, when you are forcing a workout and not into it.  Usually a week off, and just let the brain relax seems to help.  For me it usually happens when I have alot on my plate and am forcing myself to shoot, without just enjoying it.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
If I try to shoot fast, a la Asbell or Hill, I quickly discover that I am no Asbell or Hill. If I hold for a couple of seconds and pull through the shot, things work out pretty well. If I don't, it ain't pretty.
Glad you are back on track, even if you don't know how you got there. No doubt, our sport is more mental than physical.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I hear yeah! I had this happen to me last summer, so I went back to the basics. I went back to bows that I knew I shot well and refined did some tuning on that equipment and sold everything else. What I learned from that is what feels "natural" when I shoot and what seems like I have to work way to hard to try and shoot it. When it feels natural I was then able to really work on my form and I know what I'm looking for when I got to purchase a bow. Just all part of the learning process, glad to hear you're shooting better!   :archer2:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Still on fire thank the powers that be and what Ive come to believe it was was failing to maintain a consistent anchor. Ive been lifting  weights on a more regular and shooting a bunch and I think this all caused  overdrawing.

Now Im using my index finger in the corner of my mouth   against the my canine tooth and the consistency has me euphoric. The sun shines again. The worst part about it all is that was my original anchor point when I 1st started. Dont know why I forgot. Thanks a bunch fellas for all the support and advice.   :notworthy:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Glad you worked through it Izzy.  Welcome Back!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
it happens when ever I have an audience!!  I cant shoot in front of people!!  Glad you're all better!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Every time I OVER   :banghead:  THINK MY SHOOTING . Insted of just trusting myself and the bow>>>---> just shoot without thinking  :goldtooth:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Glad you're back on top of your game!

Still rootin' for you on the moose drawings!  ;)
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©