3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantage of Flemish twist string over Endless Loop and vice versa?  (Read 910 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advantage of Flemish twist string over Endless Loop and vice versa?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Well, I can say for sure that flemish strings aren't any more "dangerous" than endless, and I've seen no proof they are less accurate.  Like I said, I asked what he based his comments on.  I really would like to know.  

A comment like that is along the lines of me saying "recurve bows are less accurate, and can be dangerous compared to longbows".

It's a sad fact that some bowyers who make really nice bows don't know squat about strings.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Here's a thought.  Ever saw a longbow used in Olympic competition?  Doesn't Fedora make longbows?

My point is, whether he meant it or not, his comment is a slam to folks like me who make and like flemish strings.

If there are facts to base it on, I honestly would love to hear it.

I know a fellow who's been shooting for 50+ years, and he's a good shot...but he can be wrong.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
Endless loop for me, that is what I know how to make and too lazy/old to learn anything new unless I feel it will be an advantage.
Flemish twist for me, that is what I know how to make and too lazy/old to learn anything new unless I feel it will be an advantage.   ;)
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
Endless loop for me, that is what I know how to make and too lazy/old to learn anything new unless I feel it will be an advantage.

I see "well made" to describe strings, if an endless loop string is the right length and the serving is tight, how can it be NOT be well made? Please explain this to me in detail. I need to learn how to build a "well made string" after 50 years of string building.

James
Maybe with recurves/longbows the difference between a well made string, and a not so well made string is tough to see? I have yet to make an endless string for my bows since I switched back to wheel-less bows. Where modern compounds are concerned, there can be a HUGE difference in endless loop strings. Any string that is spun without stacking each loop with the same tension, or spun without stacking each loop up the post will result in a string that moves for a long time.

A properly made endless loop string constructed with a good modern material requires a half dozen shots to settle it, then set up to spec, and enjoy zero peep rotation for the next 10,000 shots.

If a well made endless loop string can do that on a compound bow, it should be pretty easy to get good results from a stickbow.   :)  

If I could get my B50 twist string to stop stretching I would be a happy camper.     :thumbsup:
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©