3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newcomer, South MS  (Read 464 times)

Offline Whit's End

• Trad Bowhunter
Newcomer, South MS
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Hi all, first post here. I just turned 23 last month. When I was a kid, I was always into nature and animals, etc. Was never much of a hunter (never really had a chance to), but you could always find me fishing or just trudging through the woods like kids do. As I grew older, I sort of fell out of the lifestyle, stopped playing sports etc and succumbed to a life revolving around technology. For years I've felt like something was missing in my life, and I think its about time to revert back to nature. About a month ago, a good friend invited me shoot around with an old #55+ Bear recurve. Instantly I fell in love, despite my shots being less than good, a lot in part of me now knowing that I was way over-bowed, and I'm a slender build which didn't help either. I read "The Witchery of Archery" two days later, and I've thought of little else since, and have done hours of research daily. Unfortunately, in my current living situation, money is practically non-existent. I had around 75$ saved up, and was checking **** daily for a good starter bow (around 30-35#, a vintage Bear, PSE, Wing, Ben Pearson, Damon Howatt, Browning, Martin etc) *anything with a shelf/rest as I feel shooting off the hand would just add an unnecessary variable for learning form at the moment* for the past month. I lent my family the little I had saved up, and I just found out today that I won't be seeing my money for another month.  Needless to say after all these weeks, I'm 100% restless and anxious (and slightly annoyed at my family) to get started. I fell into a daily exercise / gym routine. My question is, is there anything archery oriented I can do at the moment to help myself for the future? Any specific exercises etc? This second setback is pretty discouraging and any suggestions to better myself and stay focused in the meantime would be appreciated. If there are any shooters in my immediate area that have free time and wouldn't mind showing a beginner the ropes, that would be great. Obviously a trainer is out of reach for me, and I've read a million times that nothing teaches like experience. Sorry for the giant wall of text, and thank you guys for the site. Such a wealth of information you guys have here. Thanks, - WE

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newcomer, South MS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
ttt
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Garrett,

Hello from the South!  And yes there are a few of us Trad shooters in the area Possum Head, Pascagoula Archer, myself on here, and a few other that don’t spend a lot of time here but we get together and shoot.

Shoot me a PM later and well talk and see if we can work out some time to shoot and meet some of the guys.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Welcome from Maine.

Offline Whit's End

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
That would be fantastic. Will do, John. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Welcome from the Mississippi Delta
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 02:30:00 AM »
ttt
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Another welcome from Maine.  I have 31# longbow I could loan you until you find "the bow".  It has a bit of hand shock, so might not be the best starter bow, but you are welcome to it.  Check the bow classifieds here as well, something might show up.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Garrett: Welcome aboard,  Glad to see some of those great southern boys helping out. Best of luck on your journey.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Welcome from Florida.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Whit's End

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, such a great community here. @Maineac, I would very interested in that, a little hand shock never hurt nobody  :)  And I would look after it like a baby!

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Welcome from your neighbors in Louisiana! You'll enjoy this site and the traditional archery gets in your blood quick!
Shoot Straight!
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Welcome to Trad Gang. I think you will really enjoy this site. Keep an eye on the classified, and you will find a suitable bow at a reasonable price. Good luck.
Sam

Offline Whit's End

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Is it just me, or is it harder to find lower weight bows? 30-35# have been much harder to find compared to anything 40#+, and more expensive than their higher weight, similar quality counterparts. Will continue to keep looking though!

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
You should be able to get something in those weights. I am just North of Slidell and West of Picayune , in La.  Right by the Bogue Chitto NWR.

You won't likely find anything in local shops around here except Hoyt Buffalo. I have ran across several outstanding deals on line on Martin Hatfield Takedowns. Lots of deals.

You need to develop form so that you will know your true draw length. I started with a 1974 Bear Kodiak Hunter #45.  I draw 27 inch, so I am shooting about 41.5 # .  See where this is going.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:00 AM »
Welcome    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Welcome to the Cyber campfire.  Good luck with your journey   :wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Welcome from Indiana. I had the same experience looking for a 35# bow for my son. They are hard to find but they are out there - just takes patience. I'm still fairly new to this as well but there are a lot of good folks around trad archery who will help you along.

Offline Stoneyb488

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Good to see another user remotely close to me. I'm from the Hattiesburg area. Maybe we can get together one day. I've got plenty of land to stump shoot on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©