3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS and the old fart  (Read 405 times)

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS and the old fart
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Well Amazon has the Garmin 60csx on sale and I bought one. I've been pretty letdown by GPS in the past. I see a lot of potential for them, if the cockroaches are run out of the technology. If not, there'll be one in the classifieds cheap!
I love the old compass(and it don't need batteries!)
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS and the old fart
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Hey old fart..if you don't like it give me a shout. I'm due to update from my extex. Especially if it's gonna be cheap    :bigsmyl:

The-old fart that appreciates GPS's-Ferret
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I love my GPS and use it quite extensively, it’s great for marking sign and other points of interest. It can't replace the good old compass though, you can’t depend on GPS the possibility of batteries dying exists and cloud cover or thick trees can prevent you from getting a signal.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Mines dependable maggelan sportrac pro,there is always the possiblity of it not working or stepping on my compass I suppose.
 The batteries hold up very well and there is the battery indicater built in to let you know how far discharged you are.
  Reception has never been a problem for the magellan I have heard garmin as had issues in the past but is correct it.
  Use it as often as you can and you will see the many other possibilities other than just an alternative to carrying a compass.
  You could call someone give them your coordinates and have them meet you at that exact spot. Treestand,scrapes,wallows,rubs etc all marked within 3 meters and easily transferable to anyone you wish. Not easily do able with a map and compass.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
My GPS has more features than I'll ever use.
I just want to mark way points and be able to get back to blind/treestand/camp/truck/whatever.

I like real hold-in-your-hand maps so I find the mapping features about as useful as the web surfing capabilities of a cell phone.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Love my CSx and gave my Etrex to a friend. No reception problems. I always take a compass heading but it is foolish not to have a GPS with you and one that works in deep cover like the CSx. Great for finding that treestand in the dark too!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't understand all this compass talk. Unless you're into orienteering and know how to use a map in conjunction with the compass, a compass by itself is more or less useless.

Starting a new thread about this.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
"I don't understand all this compass talk. Unless you're into orienteering and know how to use a map in conjunction with the compass, a compass by itself is more or less useless"

Mickey, your tax dollars trained me on compass/map. I can find an outhouse in a deep fog with one.  What I'm hoping is that I can set the truck as a GPS waypoint and then turn the goofy thing off and wander around lost in the mountains all day, then hit the "goto" button and stroll out---stump shooting all the way.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
That's exactly how they work John.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I use a GOS as insurance, mark my truck before I leave it, throw GPS in backpack,, take compass bearings, ckeck it on topo, figure on topo good compass courses to get me home.

When all else fails pull out GPS! saves on batteries and keeps my map and compass skills up.

Later yall,

J

I have the old Garmin 60 Cs I want to get me a Csx now as it utilizes the memory cards = no downloading = nice
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Didn't know you could buy a GPS on amazon? thought that was just for books? I not very good on interent though. I have two web sites I vist this one and another about trapping.

But they have a good price on them WOW!

Thanks for the info

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Iam looking for one also. Did you just go to amazon.com or something else? Can't find the 60CX for under $450. Thanks.

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Cabelas has it (GPS60CSX) on sale right now for $349 after rebate (sale ends tomorrow here), but not available for internet/phone order.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
What if somebody steals your truck ?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Tim,that would be a bad thing you would have to take new coordinates. And give yer thumb a workout!

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
I saw them on Amazon last night, the 60csx for like 2 something after rebate??

J
Always be stubborn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©