3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static tip recurve vs Hybrid bows  (Read 468 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Static tip recurve vs Hybrid bows
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
I was wondering... I drooled all over the topics regarding static tip recurves.

I would like to order one, but my wallet is saying I shoudn't..

So would there be a huge difference between a hybrid longbow and a static tip recurve? Especially between a Cari-bow Peregrine and a Tuktu-Ex??
I can imagine that the Tuktu would be a bit smoother to pull and a little bit faster. But it wouldn't be a hughe difference, would it????
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static tip recurve vs Hybrid bows
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Yeah, it's a big difference in speed and the weight of arrows it can sling comfortably.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
only statics I used was dryad epics with bambooo core. There draw was extremely smooth and kinda felt like there was a little let off towards the end. Speed wise I dont have a chrono but I wouldnt say it was leaps and bounds faster then my hybrids. My omega hybrid at the same weight tuned perfect with the exact arrows I tuned for the titan/ epic setup.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline JB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Call  or message Abe he can tell you the difference  in his bow better than any one.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
You are right JB! This is what Abe answers:

You can see the static is smoother on the graph.
It's longbow quiet
Performance is the same at 7.25". If I lower it it's better. I like it at 7.25". It is a quiet at 7.25" and I like that.

But I also value the experience of archers here.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I shoot my Tuktu EX at 7.75"s, I may lose a bit of performance but I did not want to have to go to a .400 spine so upped the BH a bit and it tunes perfect. I really like how smooth the static is. Shawn
Shawn

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Does the static have limb vibration like the silver fox LB limbs?  I really liked the feel of the silver fox but I didn't like the way with limbs vibrated after the shot.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
They do vibrate a little, but certainly nothing that will affect your shot. I also think they are a tad noisier than longbows, but that's to be expected with any recurve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
They are a bit louder than longbows but mine are not much. I say mine because I have not shot the others. I have noticed that lower poundages seem to be a bit louder to me'; But hey, that could all be in my mind;.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 03:41:00 AM »
I found out that loudness also depends from the wind and where you stand. When the surroundings are dead-quiet, you may find your bow loud. When you are shooting from a cabin, which echoes the sounds, even louder. When shooting outside, with some wind or other sounds, you might not hear anything at all....

I also found out that vibrations or handshock are very subjective. My first bow was a mildly r/d longbow. I would have swore that that bow didn't have any handshock or vibrations at all.
Later I bought hybrid longbows. Going back to my first longbow, I suddenly mentioned how much handshock and vibrations it had.....
I could have swore that my hybrids didn't have any vibrations at all.

Then I bought a 3 pce high mass recurve. When I go back to my hybrids after shooting that bow, I suddenly notice that the limbs have vibrations after the shot.......  :)

Any out there with the same experience???
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
I shoot both Dryad longbow limbs and a pair of Dryad Epic static tip recurves off my Dryad ILF riser.  The static tip limbs are very quiet, stable, fast, smooth, and yes....there's a bit of perceived letoff.  I've been a longbow only shooter for the past 20 years, but these Epic's are finding themselves on my riser for more and more practice time each week......it's just dang'd fun to shoot limbs that are 4# lower in draw weight, but spit an 11gpp arrow as fast as my Dryad ACS longbow limbs.  YMMV.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Kirk will have his Static Tip SS model at the upcoming B'more shoot...he's going to let folks shoot them and see for themselves.  He'll be at the range evenings from 4-6pm, for those who will be there.

I intend to be one of those people...he's finding what others report, that the Static Tip will launch an arrow faster than a heavily R/D longbow limb and do it with glass vs. LB with carbon/foam core and less draw weight!!!

He put a few together with carbon anyway to see and that will be interesting as well.  I like the idea of dropping draw weight with some issues I have and still maintaining the efficiency to use heavier arrows at hunting distances!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
After getting a batch of these new static tip limbs built, I have mounted them on different length risers and used different core materials and glass configurations. The actual speeds of them vary just like any bow you build. Sometimes it's just a few fps... other times it's 6-8 fps from one set of limbs to the next depending on draw weight and bow length......

The most noticeable difference between a hybrid long bow and a static tip RC is the feel of the draw.... If you have never shot a well balanced static tip RC You need to try it.... They have a different feel to them.

I have never shot a bow that had such good manners and smoothness of draw. and the feel of these limbs is very consistent from one set to the next at different draw weights, even though they may test differently in the chrono.

Sound and vibration in a bow has more to do with the limb balance, tension on the string at brace, type of string used, and the weight of your arrows you are shooting.....

The only disadvantage to the static tip RC is having to use a good recurve stringer and be careful stringing them. For guys who string and unstring their bows a lot I can see where they may appreciate a hybrid they can easily string up with a push/pull.  

So far i'm not seeing a lot of difference in performance using carbon backing on my new design.

One other thing.... I'm sure you guys have heard the term "Twitchy" before. I have seen very aggressive long bow limbs that some would consider "Twitchy" getting off the string.... Getting off the string smooth with these static tip limbs seem effortless by comparison to me.....I believe the string angle at full draw is a significant factor.

there's my .02 cents...  Kirk

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I am waiting on a bow from South I have been going back and forth on the longbow limbs and the statics. I hav always been a longbow shooter. But, I think you made a very strong case for trying the static limbs Kurt. Thanks for the info.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
I found out that loudness also depends from the wind and where you stand. When the surroundings are dead-quiet, you may find your bow loud. When you are shooting from a cabin, which echoes the sounds, even louder. When shooting outside, with some wind or other sounds, you might not hear anything at all....
I like how you think and articulate your thoughts. Some people think a lot but they are not necessarily wise. You, on the other hand, make good sense!

I love to shoot my static RER Vital. It has a wonderful "feel" that suits me. It is one of 4 RER static curves I've had and I don't ever want to be without one.

I've also had the Dryad static limbs in regular bolt down and ILF and they are impressively quick, especially the bolt down.

As this relates to hybrid longbows, I wouldn't trade one for the other if you are satisfied with how your longbow shoots (having seen how well you shoot that Peregrine, you have to be pleased). I doubt there is a lot of difference in quietness if either bow is properly tuned. The statics may be slightly quicker but the biggest difference is in how the draw feels. I like how a good longbow feels on the draw too so one is not "better" than the other in my opinion.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Static tip recurve . . . when I hear Ad considering one and hear explanations by Steve and Kirk, it makes me wonder. The characteristics of the static tip recurve sound desirable.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
I like how you think and articulate your thoughts. Some people think a lot but they are not necessarily wise. You, on the other hand, make good sense!
Darned, acknowledgement at last!!!    :jumper:
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Moots:
Static tip recurve . . . when I hear Ad considering one and hear explanations by Steve and Kirk, it makes me wonder. The characteristics of the static tip recurve sound desirable.
I don't know Moods. I think Jedimaster nailed it. Main difference will be how the different types of bow draw. I understand that a static tip draws smoother.
Performance wise both types will be close.
A recurve is louder.
A recurve is more vulnarable for limb-twist.
A static tip recurve will be more difficult to string.
A recurve can be build in shorter lengths, important in tree-stands.

Personally I don't think all this reasons justify adding a static tip to my collection.

On the other hand: buying a new bow is ALWAYS fun!   :dunno:
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
I have two static tip bows,one Border Black Douglas 62" with HEX 6 limbs (51#@28) ,very fast but need two set string silencer + wraps on each ends string to be good to hunt with.
This bow is very very easy to string and the draw is very different than the other bows,lot of preload and after that,you can feel somethink like a let off, but after shooting it alot this special sensation diseppear (,I think our body integrate this different drawing and forget it).
My second static is a RER,Vital model,60", (51#@28) ,very quiet (like a longbow),not as fast as the Border but with very good performance,not as stable (limbs stability) than the Border too ,  the drawn is smoother but more linear than the Border and stringing the RER is a little more hard but not a problem at all.

Here is the comparaison, two static tips bows,two different bows and two differents sensations   :dunno:   .

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Ad,
I have a Whipplish coming in about three weeks.  I don't think there is much that is static in those crazy limbs!

Rob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©